TEN Plus TIPS FOR MUSICIANS 1 Try to stand out, not fit in. Your goal should not be to sound like everyone else. If you are not doing something that is the world's first in music - then ask yourself, "Why not? Show some courage. Do something new. Find your own voice."
2. Don't write your own songs. Better to have a hit record that you didn't write, than publishing rights on an embarrassment.
3. Musicians, if you are here just to promote yourselves and not to also help other talented musicians; then I can't help you either.There needs to be a little less ME, and a little more cooperation.
4. Sing like you talk. Sing honestly. Not overly melodramatic with false emotion - it sounds fake. If you can't sing, learn - don't use auto tune to fake it.
5. Jimi Hendrix used more guitar sounds in one record, All Along The Watch Tower" than the last 1,000 new groups I heard. Why is being a clone considered good?
6. Selling out IS selling out!
7. Fame will eat you alive if you really don't have any developed talent or skill.
8. Join the art revolution - stick up for independent artists and oppose the consolidation of the music industry into 4 companies.
9. If you are beautiful and look like a model, you probably aren't a good musician.
10. Innovation is never weird - its a new way of doing things that challenges and excites.
11. Show some range in your singing, sometimes happy and lite, sometimes serious with a depth of emotion.
12. Write lyrics about what you know, about your real life, - name names, give specifics.
13. You can't hide bad music with guest musicians.
14. Don't over produce. Get the clutter out. Back to basics is best.
15. Don't mix styles of music, if you can't play any of them very well.
(editor of the 17 year old zine Musea)