Hello all! And a warm welcome to the many new folks who signed up at last week's Portland Zine Symposium, a blast that cleaned us out and filled us up. Many new things, many things we need to restock. I've been a bit obsessed with helping orchestrate/conceptualize a tour, so my mind has been in the clouds and I've been catching up on distro-related things very slowly. Despite my slowness, this month is still one of the best months ever. Especially if you want to do some reading. It runs the gamut- hilarious, inspirational, instructional, philosophical- all great. Plus greeting cards and a hardcore math album. Can't be beat, in my book.
NewDIY or Don't We? Number Two (Zine) ($3)
- the follow-up to last year's wildly popular first issue, this is a zine
"about doing things together as friends, family, collectives, and communities."Horehound (Zine) ($1.50)
- rediscovered writings from tree-sit activist Horehound (Beth O'Brien), who died in the 2002 Eagle Creek tree-sit protest.
Ilse Content Vol 9 (Zine) ($3)
- like a motivational speech to start a revolution.Ilse Greeting Card (Cards) ($4 or 3 for $10)
- beautifully handmade with paints and pictures and ribbons and clever words.Meconium- Kringla (CD) ($8)
- 13 tracks of jaw-dropping math-y hardcore.
Miami, You've Got Style: A Little Golden Girls Book (Book) ($10)
- a hilarious coffee table about The Golden Girls and their fashion sense.
Newish Jewish: Choosing Judaism Through an Anarchist's Eyes (Zine) ...
- thoughts on death and rituals, genealogy, comic books, punk and hardcore, a remembrance of Howard Zinn, to being part of a history of struggle, all make up this fascinating read.
Signals #3 (Zine) ($3)
- reading like an awesome series of radio segments, this zine is all about radio. Dedicated mainly to the still flourishing traditions of pirate and shortwave radio.Truckface #10 (Zine) ($3)
working at a novelty gift shop, dealing with sexual harassment, Detroit, underwear, post-Katrina New Orleans, and Ralph Steadman-esque drawings.
Truckface #12 (Zine) ($3)
- from a year of subbing in Chicago public schools comes a slew of stories that are at once funny, sad, beautiful, and kind of disturbing.Truckface #13 (Zine) ($3)
stories of periods, parent teacher conferences, queer issues, language barriers, the merciless ridicule of students, and much more.
RestocksRadical Mycology (Zine) ($5) Mp3's
*Letters- A Sampler
- a 20 song sampler of the first few years of Letters. From folk to noise.*Meconium- Hooks and Veils
*The new issue of Zine World
is out and Eaves of Ass #7
, Funwater Awesome #4
, Ilse Content Vol 8
, and Basic Paper Airplane #3
were all reviewed within. Craven Rock of Eaves of Ass also had the lead article in it. Some of these zine writers also got a pre-write up in The Stranger
for their reading in Seattle last weekend. Oh, and Basic Paper Airplane #3
was also review in Razorcake
by Craven Rock.
*The Marlo Eggplant/Narshe
Split was reviewed on Foxy DIgitalis
*The last Letters album (Letters Plays Selections from the Tapestry Songbook
) was also reviewed in Performer Magazine
(pg 31 or so, for those interested in checking it out).
*I leave on a mini-tour with Letters in a few days, doing a weird dark fairy tale-themed performance down the coast. If you're in Oakland, Davis, San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland, Olympia, or Seattle, maybe you can catch it. Check out the tour dates
Happy changing of the seasons. Until next month, JJ/MVPD
Ms Valerie Park Distro
Newsletter for August