CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS!
Paper Monster Press “Dream Pop Issue”
After setting the mood with the seductive flair of our "S/Trip-Hop Issue", we will now be leading you into a lovely afterglow with the "DREAM POP ISSUE."
Melodies taking you on an out-of-body experience; rhythms wrapping you up in a blanket of spacious soundscapes; and voices resonating like an echo-laden remix of your favorite bedtime lullaby. Dream Pop is the kind of music that keeps you awake yet under the sheets in a trancelike state at any hour of the day. It is atmospheric and ethereal... And that is precisely what Paper Monster's fourth issue is all about.
It may seem like such an underground subgenre, but in fact, Wikipedia has its own looong alphabetical list of dream pop artists. If you can get an aural picture of Kevin Shield's (My Bloody Valentine) indulgence for delayed and distorted guitar effects with Elizabeth Fraser's (Cocteau Twins) or Hope Sandoval's (Mazzy Star) sleepy-eyed vocals; and Anthony Gonzalez' (M83) blurry and up-front synthesizer tones, then it's quite easy to catch our drift.
Once again, we are calling all literary, visual and sound artists to give us their personal interpretations of DREAM POP in the form/s of:
- LITERARY ART: We accept poetry, literary essays, critical essays, microfiction, reviews of Paper Monster Press issues 1-3, and ekphrasis works.
- VISUAL ART: We accept new media art, installation art, abstract expressionism, lowbrow, graffiti, body art, pop art, photography etc. (any kind of visual art, basically).
- SOUND ART: We accept sounds that embody dream pop. Think spacious, ambient, steady, atmospheric,ethereal.
- All works must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each contributor may submit 3 works ONLY from each category. That means you may submit 3 literary works, 3 artworks, and 3 musical pieces, but no more than that. This is to give space and a chance to others.
- Submissions must be loosely/closely based on the dream pop genre of music.
- The EIC’s laptop is Buddhist, so aside from attaching text submissions, kindly paste the contents of your piece to the body of your e-mail.
- Submit literary pieces in English or Filipino. We do not have the capacity to read and/or translate foreign languages as well as local dialects at the moment. Works should not exceed 500 words.
- Submit artworks in JPEG format. We accept both colored and black or white art, but please be reminded that PMP will only have a colored cover, the rest of the zine will be in black and white.
- Submit sounds in MP3 format.
- If your piece is inspired by a dream pop artist/work, kindly state the artist/work from which your piece sprang from.
- PMP religiously follows the process of selecting and editing. We stand by our editors’ decisions. Please, don’t feel bad if your work wasn’t selected for an issue. There’s going to be lots more of Paper Monster Press in the future.
- For updates, just check the Paper Monster Press Facebook page (www.facebook.com/papermonsterpress)
Deadline for this issue: JUNE 30, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen, let us now get ready to float in space...
PAPER MONSTER PRESS