a place for zinesters - writers and readers
i am putting together a new compilation zine and would very much like your contributions!
the theme is pathology, inspired both by my job in a hospital and a giant pathology textbook i couldn't resist buying. pathology can refer to the study of disease, viruses and bacteria, cancers and infections--but it can also evoke 'normal' or 'typical' reactions or expressions taken to an extreme ('pathological gambling', etc.).
of course, this definition of what is pathological requires a set standard of what is normal, which varies from community to community--and i would guess many of us don't live up to. the interesting thing to me is the difference between the definition and how we live our lives.
thoughts of possible topics that most immediately come to mind:
* disability / ableism / accessibility
* mental illness / intellectual disability / psychotropic medications / alternative treatments
* non-monogamy / choosing to be single / not getting married / getting married
* sexuality / asexuality / kinks / etc
* pop culture / the love of glitter / the love of tattered black t-shirts
* healing / health / the medical system
* the overlap and dischord between different communities / scenes / cliques
* political & community organizing: how it works, how it fails us
* the list could go on and on....
i am looking for writing and art that is easily photocopied in a half-page format (8.5 by 11, folded so the 8.5 ends touch each other). i'm open to different mediums and formats, although any terrible poetry will be immediately recycled. i'm also open to varying genres: funny, sad, personal, fictional, etc.... my last compilation zine had poetry, a recipe, memoir, and lists, and i'm hoping to replicate the same eclectic format.
also, i hope to reprise the "things i love that i shouldn't" and "things i should love that i don't" lists from whatever saves #1, so please send me your thoughts on that as well.
contributions can be sent to:
po box 22761
seattle, wa 98122
deadline is july 1st.
please include contact information so i can send you a copy of the zine(s) when it is done.
can't wait to see what y'all come up with.