We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

where are they where you live? any good/bad experiences with getting zines in them?

Views: 23

Replies to This Discussion

nearest to me are brighton places.
punker bunker
cowley club
daves comics
There's 'Here' in Bristol but I don't think it's particularly good :(
I found Here really off-ish first time I went but just left some new sample copies there this week and am going to see how that goes. They have nice exhibitions on there and the whole shop looks lovely when you walk in but they've always seemed quite disinterested to me til now... maybe it's my stuff, maybe I'm rubbish...

Bookartbookshop in London carries some. Also Permanent Gallery in Brighton assuming they're still there - do you know, Stephanos?
i do find it weird how much here has changed in regards to ethics and interest in DIY stuff considering the way it started. 56a is definitely the best place in london.
not one i've heard of, i shall ask the brighton lot.

Wes White said:
I found Here really off-ish first time I went but just left some new sample copies there this week and am going to see how that goes. They have nice exhibitions on there and the whole shop looks lovely when you walk in but they've always seemed quite disinterested to me til now... maybe it's my stuff, maybe I'm rubbish...

Bookartbookshop in London carries some. Also Permanent Gallery in Brighton assuming they're still there - do you know, Stephanos?
I've been umming and ahhing about posting in this thread as I was one of the co-founders of 'here' in Bristol and I don't want to say anything negative, but what I will say is the place was founded out of the Ladyfest d-i-y/zine scene movement and is now a very different kettle of fish. Not a bad kettle, but one that's not as zine friendly as it maybe was 5 years ago. I haven't been part of 'here ' for a few years now, other than to go shopping there now, and I really feel that Bristol needs another outlet for zines as they tend to get sidelined in amongst all the more professionally produced stuff that is sold there now.

I think the people that run it now don't come from a zine background and probably don't have the same ethos as some of the people who started it up. Cafe Kino, over the road, might be a good place to approach to see if they were into hosting some kinda zine thing...and I hear there's all kinds of other places popping up all the time around Gloucester rd/xmas steps etc etc.

It's really interesting to hear people's views on 'here' as I kind of feel like it's changed so dramatically it's not really the same place at all.

(still keeping the cut'n'paste faith in Weston-super-Mare)

Bumping this up...I'm a New York zine maker coming to London this month...wondering if there are any shops that might stock a long running American handwritten per-zine mini. A few recent issues have been in comics format. The current issue is a personal history / museum of items in my ridiculously small kitchen.

Any advice you might have would be gratefully received. 

Here's more info on my zine,The East Village Inky

and

a link to the current ish

x

Ayun

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service