We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I'm kind of new to the whole zine making thing. I've made two zines of different topics. The first one I made 40 copies of because it was shorter and wanted to give a lot away. The second zine I started I made 15 copies, but ended up having to make more because people wanted to trade/my friends wanted some etc.

So I guess I'm asking

How many copies of your zines do you make?
Do you ever recopy/reprint your zines?
Is there something about recopying/reprinting zines that destroys the originality of the first printing?

(sorry if someone's already discussed this, I couldn't find out if someone did)

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

I'm new as well but I think 40-50 is a nice number to start off.

have many recopies have you made for your second zine?
I usually make about 50 for the first run, but I always recopy. I basically reprint until I'm no longer pleased with the zine.
i use my parents' photocopier when they are not looking, so that means i only make a half dozen or so copies at once, but with both issues of my zine, i have printed up more as i ran out and people asked for them. i feel like if i has plenty of cash, i would do it at the copy shop -- and then, ideally, i'd print ten or more. because collating and stapling is easier in bulk, not that collating 5 4-page zines is very hard though :)
yeah i'd say 30-50 copies is usually a substantial amount
My husband copies mine at work. He does around 25-30 copies and I've found that's enough.
I usually do copy runs of about 20 copies at a time, but I usually stop around 100 copies in total. I've got a bunch of different zines and I like my older ones to slowly go out of print as I'm making new ones. As well, usually by the time I've made a new copy, I'm kind of sick of the older copies, so I don't like to reprint them unless they were really popular or it's not a perzine or something.
I'm low on cash so I make it based on demand. I like to have at least five on hand. Clearly demand isn't very high :)

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service