We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

No offense to the youths, but sometimes it can get a little tiring reading about college finals, moving across the country for the first time, hosteling in Europe, first heartbreak and all that. 

I love reading a zine from an older person. I am 47. I started zines at 29. You can find all my zines on my Etsy shop.

How about you?

Views: 117

Replies to This Discussion

Here are mine http://lowereastsidelibrarian.info/zines. They're available from me, also StrangerDanger & Things You Say distros, Bluestockings, Quimby's and Portland Button Works stores.

i started zines at 50, hence the name Project 50! better late than never xx

deb j

Hi! I'm Eunice and I'm 51. I started reading SF fanzines from the age of 17 and made a fair few myself. I've been reading zines for a couple of years now. I have made some, called Estrones, Crone and Bookish and am working on the third issue of Estrones, though I've changed the title to Looks Like Rain! I tend to trade my zines. 

To be honest, I get tired of all the "statements". Let's make a statement about our ethnic heritage, let's make a statement about our sexuality, let's make a statement about our couch. It isn't that I find them bad, it's just that with the mini-book scene that sort of thing takes up 90% of the material you find (it seems). And a lot of distros you find specialize in such things.

What if I just wanna sit down and read something for the sake of enjoying a little bit of me time? I'm a young 41. I already have to sit and think about political statements, my daughter's "I want birth control" statement, my tax statement... My mini-comic isn't a statement, it's just a romantic comedy that I'm thinking a lot of stuff into so that you can simply enjoy yourself. :-) Pfft statements.  :-)

Hi all,

At 46, I have never made a zine, in fact I had never even heard of them until earlier this year.  I visited my first zine shop a couple of days ago and the staff there assumed that I had been sent on an errand by someone else :)  I bought my first zines that day - an eclectic bunch of stuff - and I have fallen head over heels for these things.  I have a few ideas that may find their way into reality but at the moment I am just overwhelmed by all the talent that I am finding out there.

It was fate!

Cosmic Teapot said:

Hi all,

At 46, I have never made a zine, in fact I had never even heard of them until earlier this year.  I visited my first zine shop a couple of days ago and the staff there assumed that I had been sent on an errand by someone else :)  I bought my first zines that day - an eclectic bunch of stuff - and I have fallen head over heels for these things.  I have a few ideas that may find their way into reality but at the moment I am just overwhelmed by all the talent that I am finding out there.

I'll soon be 41. I've been publishing music-related 'zines since I was 16, starting with Thrashcore 'Zine in  1988 which kind of evolved into Paranoize in 1991 and is still going today (just sent a new issue off to the printer after a 2 year hiatus). It seems that  'zine culture in New Orleans is dead, so the fact that nobody else is doing it is what keeps me churning them out, no matter how long the delay is between issues.

New Orleans, huh? It's a shame to think that such an area so full of culture would be struggling with the zine department. At least they have you still working on things.

Bobby Paranoize said:

I'll soon be 41. I've been publishing music-related 'zines since I was 16, starting with Thrashcore 'Zine in  1988 which kind of evolved into Paranoize in 1991 and is still going today (just sent a new issue off to the printer after a 2 year hiatus). It seems that  'zine culture in New Orleans is dead, so the fact that nobody else is doing it is what keeps me churning them out, no matter how long the delay is between issues.

My website is http://www.paranoizenola.com and I have a facebook page for my 'zine at www.facebook.com/paranoizenola

Hi Cosmic Teapot,

There are lots of people who start zines at a later age, even though everyone thinks it's something that only people start when they are 20 or under. I started at 29. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cosmic Teapot said:

Hi all,

Hey, I'm 45 and just turned my comics into comics zines. My latest is D-Tales #3. It has the first part of an ongoing auto-bio comic story about first love and music I grew up with), an illustrated rant of 20th century nostalgia and an amazing pie recipe. Check it out at watchtomdraw.com . I just joined WMZ and this group, and honestly have no idea where or how to start this journey. I go to comic-cons, but John Porcellino told me my stuff would be right at home at a zines con. But then I found this. Cool. What now?

Rather heartening to find this group and learn that there are people who started making zines in their 40s.  I understand that it gets less and less likely to start making zines, as one gets older -- or at least that was what the book on making zines I read told me.

Nearing 42, I was beginning to get a little worried.

Currently, I'm working on not one but two first issues of my very first zines.  I'm hoping to get them out the door by early October.  I would really like to table at this year's Philly Zine Fest.

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service