We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey people! What kind of system do you use to keep track of the zine trades you currently have?! I had myself a system that seems to be failing me, so I'm curious as to how other people go about it.

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't really kept track, although I keep e-mail forever so I can look through old messages and figure it out from there. But I usually forget to do that. Come to think of it, so far I've only received zines from one of the trades I was involved in. Maybe I should keep a list or something. LOL
i started a notebook recently that's been dead useful. the first half is like a zine journal, where i write whatever packages/letters i received that day (including the name and date), and i also write down what letters/packages i send out. i often will make a running list of people that i need to send stuff to, and cross them off whenever i answer someone. writing everything down in a collected journal makes it pretty much impossible to lose track of what's going on concerning trades, and it sort of makes you more accountable to yourself, and therefore much more timely in answering people (so you don't have to sift through all the crap in your house to find bits of paper and envelopes with names and addresses on them).

the second half of my notebook is just a big zine address book (i tabbed the alphabet with plastic tabs to make it easier), where i write names/addresses/emails of everyone i trade with, distros, zine review publications, etc..

hope this helps!
-coco
I keep all my zine 'admin' stuff on it's own shelf so as not to lose or mix it with other work related stuff

I have a black board with an IN and an OUT list
Once i have sent it i cross it out - if its a trade i write it parallel to the one i am trading with and once trade complete i rub them out completely
Also a book to keep all addresses in and what number zine of which series along side their info that i trade/sell them
as some of the zines have special prizes i need to make sure i keep track who gets prizes

It's a bit of a meticulous system but works for keeping records
I also highlight those zinesters addresses who have moved or are about to change addresses

Bulk mailing - If i am waiting for some extra bits and pieces to put into the post, I pop zines for trade in envelopes and prep them with addresses etc and have a box in my studio that sits under the blackboard so they are all ready and waiting

I am now starting to keep track about the zines i have by doing a smallish review on my own blog-
I generally ask permission from the creator and take some pics of the zine and upload info/review and pics plus a link to a blog or website of their own for trades info etc-

Another thing...probably not vital to your question but i am a big comic book fan and i have bought a bulk pack of clear plastic slips for my comics but i use them for zines awell - also useful to keep all zines from each zinester together-
This is an interesting method I may try out!! Thanks!

Coco Negro said:
i started a notebook recently that's been dead useful. the first half is like a zine journal, where i write whatever packages/letters i received that day (including the name and date), and i also write down what letters/packages i send out. i often will make a running list of people that i need to send stuff to, and cross them off whenever i answer someone. writing everything down in a collected journal makes it pretty much impossible to lose track of what's going on concerning trades, and it sort of makes you more accountable to yourself, and therefore much more timely in answering people (so you don't have to sift through all the crap in your house to find bits of paper and envelopes with names and addresses on them).

the second half of my notebook is just a big zine address book (i tabbed the alphabet with plastic tabs to make it easier), where i write names/addresses/emails of everyone i trade with, distros, zine review publications, etc..

hope this helps!
-coco
I use the Tasks function in Gmail (it's one of the Labs). It keeps tracks of all orders I get from the distro and need to send out, all things I need to pay people for or send to people, all things I should look out for in the mail. It's really simple and good.
I don't have a zine-specific journal [but I'm thinking of getting one after reading above], but I keep a list with addresses and who's getting what in my regular journal. I check them off once they're sent.
i agree with saara, i have a document in open office with all the information i need about trades.. names, addresses, what i'm trading, when i send and receive.. works fine for me.. :)
This is such a good idea! THANKS!

Coco Negro said:

hope this helps!
-coco
I took on a tradition from the science fiction zines that I'm a member of in adding the information on zines that I get in trade for The Original Universe on the back page. I also keep all of the information in an Excel database.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service