We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hi all,
Recently I got slightly bummed about my sales being so slow, so I got an etsy seller's guide (I know, laugh, it's funny) to see how to improve my shop and my sales. One of the main bits of advice was to choose only one type of product and only sell that. So in our case, only zines. But, I also like to create other stuff and sell that as well. Do you? Is it that confusing for buyers to browse through my zines AND jewelry, or zines AND cards? Does it make it seem like my shop is a "yardsale" (this is what the seller's guide said)? I would really love to hear your opinion on this, because I like the idea of selling multiple items and not just zines, even if they are my main item. I don't want my shop to seem like it's all over the place but I also love variety, so please let me know your opinions and experiences.
Thanks!
XOXOlivia

Views: 64

Replies to This Discussion

I think there's something to be said for doing only one thing and doing it really well, but I personally like variety. I have a few different things in my shop, most of which are completely unrelated to zines. [Or I will, once I take it off vacation mode]
I always though that having a few different things would attract different types of people and then they might check out your other stuff...just my 2 cents though!
I think you are so right on point A and B. I think it's cool to focus and become really good at one thing, but like you, I also value variety. Maybe it's a balance between the two? And I like your logic that selling different items might attract different types of people. That's a very good way to look at at. Thank you for your 2 cents, Sarala, they're worth more to me! Hope vacation was fun!

Sarala B. said:
I think there's something to be said for doing only one thing and doing it really well, but I personally like variety. I have a few different things in my shop, most of which are completely unrelated to zines. [Or I will, once I take it off vacation mode]
I always though that having a few different things would attract different types of people and then they might check out your other stuff...just my 2 cents though!
Right now I only sell zines, but I hope to add more stuff if I ever get time to work on other projects! I think that they have a point about not selling too many different things, but it can't hurt to have a little variety. It might only seem yard-saley if you had, like, one zine, one button set, one t-shirt, and one something else.

Also, I think using the categories helps if you sell a variety of things. That way if people are only interested in zines, they can just look at your zines.
That does seem reasonable, just keeping it from being too random. But I always figured that was why there were categories - so you could separate your different stuff! My etsy selling guide would beg to differ: she claims the categories are only there to differentiate between the kinds of stuff; If you sell Jewelry then categories are there to separate earrings from necklaces...this doesn't really work with zines! BTW, Andreajean, I totally relate about not having time for more projects! So I guess that would keep my shop from getting cluttered - not enough time! Ha.

andreajean said:
Right now I only sell zines, but I hope to add more stuff if I ever get time to work on other projects! I think that they have a point about not selling too many different things, but it can't hurt to have a little variety. It might only seem yard-saley if you had, like, one zine, one button set, one t-shirt, and one something else.

Also, I think using the categories helps if you sell a variety of things. That way if people are only interested in zines, they can just look at your zines.
i sell zines, prints and postcards right now. my zines sell better than my prints and such but i don't think the prints interfere with my sales. i guess i think it's good to keep selling advice in mind but i don't think it's entirely applicable to zines and the etsy selling guides are likely made by people who sell jewelry, knit goods, stuff like that and not zines. and they seem very concerned about "yard sales," "flea markets" and things looking "professional." i'm not sure what you're planning on selling, but i think most of your buyers will come from the zine world and will be fine with seeing the things they see at zine shows. i wouldn't worry too much about clutter, but then again, i'm not an etsy super seller :)
Ha ha, you are totally spot on! I am not that concerned with this whole "professional" obsession, and you're right, probably very few people buying zines would be either. I thought etsy was a place for handmade items, anyhow, not stuff that looks like you could buy it at Target! I'm not even trying to be an etsy super seller, after all! ;) Thanks for your comments, they gave me a smile.

Monstress Zine said:
i sell zines, prints and postcards right now. my zines sell better than my prints and such but i don't think the prints interfere with my sales. i guess i think it's good to keep selling advice in mind but i don't think it's entirely applicable to zines and the etsy selling guides are likely made by people who sell jewelry, knit goods, stuff like that and not zines. and they seem very concerned about "yard sales," "flea markets" and things looking "professional." i'm not sure what you're planning on selling, but i think most of your buyers will come from the zine world and will be fine with seeing the things they see at zine shows. i wouldn't worry too much about clutter, but then again, i'm not an etsy super seller :)
you're welcome :)

Olivia Arrow said:
Ha ha, you are totally spot on! I am not that concerned with this whole "professional" obsession, and you're right, probably very few people buying zines would be either. I thought etsy was a place for handmade items, anyhow, not stuff that looks like you could buy it at Target! I'm not even trying to be an etsy super seller, after all! ;) Thanks for your comments, they gave me a smile.

Monstress Zine said:
Thanks, I think it's good to hear that other people are multi-faceted as well.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
I mostly sell zines at my Etsy shop, but I've also got pins, and have been known to sell a few handmade crafts and some supplies. Occasionally I'll list some vintage clothing or Polaroid cameras as well. Honestly, I've never had a problem with my shop looking too cluttered or unprofessional, so I don't think you should worry about it too much. Just make sure you list everything in the proper section so it's easy for people to browse.
i have sold crafty items in my shop in the past, i think it is fine! i agree with the other posters here, just make sure to use your categories to amke navigating easier!

i think the main way a shop looks cluttered to me is when there are a TON of pages in it. i almost never browse past the second page in a shop.
Thanks, Sabrina, that is actually really good advice. Now that I think of it, I almost never view past page two either!

Sabrina said:
i have sold crafty items in my shop in the past, i think it is fine! i agree with the other posters here, just make sure to use your categories to amke navigating easier!

i think the main way a shop looks cluttered to me is when there are a TON of pages in it. i almost never browse past the second page in a shop.
same here. i make an effort to keep all my stuff on two pages.

Olivia Arrow said:
Thanks, Sabrina, that is actually really good advice. Now that I think of it, I almost never view past page two either!

Sabrina said:

Mine's full of different stuff, I've got zines, badges, photo prints, rosettes and brooches. It doesn't seem to confuse people, I have the stuff neatly filed away in categories.

( http://emmajane.etsy.com )

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service