We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

hi, Team Zine!
when shipping zines to Etsy customers, i like to use a variety of recycled materials for packaging them up (and i've noticed that others do too!) i thought it might be a good idea to start a discussion about where to get such materials.

i like to raid the recycling bins everywhere on my college campus, but especially at the post office! people open their mail and immediately discard the packaging. so i get a lot of great envelopes, bubble mailers, etc.

i've seen others use pages from old books, taped together at the edges, to form perfect zine-sized envelopes. and i just recently started using the stiff cardboard from cereal boxes as zine mailers.

i look forward to hearing more creative solutions!

Tags: eco-friendly, etsy, green, mail, recycling, zines

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

Most often, I use my old calendars to make custom-fit envelopes. For larger orders I use brown paper grocery bags.
I like to reuse envelopes sent to me or what I can find in the recycling bin at the IPRC or my post office. I also like to make my own envelopes with maps. I have tons of maps that I got for free. I got this stamp from someone on Etsy.

Sometimes it seems that real die hard arty-crafty people on etsy don't like reused shipping supplies and I find that upsettting. I like the stamp because maybe it makes them stop and think about it for a second.
I definitely try to open all packaging i receive carefully so that i can re-use. The good thing sometimes is that most of the people i correspond with also re-use packaging... so sometimes by the time it gets to me it wouldn't really offer good protection to use again, so then i recycle it.

I like the idea of old calendars and such, i definitely have a lot of that junk lying around. Also i use old magazine pages to make envelopes for my 1/4 sized zines. A friend of mine actually laminated an envelope stencil for me so i can cut around pages really quick-like.

I really dig that stamp, Alex. I may have to add it to my Etsy faves!
Magazine pages taped make great envelopes as well. I always keep any suitable envelope from things that were sent to me as well.
Some of the people on the etsy forums make my jaw drop "showing a human touching the item that I'm going to buy makes me feel queasy and not want it"- do they think that the makers have sterile robot fingers?
I am blow away by that too... but I guess I jsut have to accept that they are in a different world in a way. I am also annoyed by teh "how dare you not put and invoice in my order" well, ok but you got an Etsy invoice and a paypal invoice, why should I send yo a paper one?

Emma Jane Falconer said:
Some of the people on the etsy forums make my jaw drop "showing a human touching the item that I'm going to buy makes me feel queasy and not want it"- do they think that the makers have sterile robot fingers?
I order a lot of stuff on the internet, from clothes, to Etsy stuff to prescriptions. I save all the packaging. I reuse it all. I also shop at SCRAP, a local reuse center, and get donated business envelopes. I have been sending out zines from the WB office here in Portland for months!

Sometimes I worry customers will be turned off by the sometimes kind of patched together mailers I use. Maybe using that stamp Alex posted will help with that. And if I buy it I will get another bubble envelope to reuse! ;-7
I also reuse my envelopes and I have a ton! Sometimes I draw on them when I send them out.

I have used old calendars before and magazine pages and such. I love getting different type of envelopes! Sometimes I save the ones I really like, heehee.
I reuse all my envelopes, not just the bubble mailers, but ordinary envelopes as well. In fact, I had so many that I did not purchase envelopes at all for about five years, and only recently had to stock up. I also save and reuse tissue paper.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service