We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

so, im trying to establish a new distro. how did you guys get established? im slowly promoting mine on a few online places i know about and telling some friends who may be interested. what did you guys do to get yours running and active?

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

I announced I would be opening the distro 6 weeks before it opened. That gave me time to get the stock I wanted, publicise a lot and generally make people aware the distro was coming! I set up a livejournal and myspace and posted around saying it would be opening in 6 weeks (please send zines for consideration!)

I sent out oodles of flyers to as many people/distros I could think of.
I posted to livejournal/myspace/various zine communities and forums when I opened.

I would say mostly I've got my distro up/running/active through a combination of:
- posting to various places online
- sending out millions of flyers (for example every order I send gets 5 flyers)
- tabling at events definitely gets you noticed too

It does take tiiiiime to get a distro up and running though. People are hesitant... is this person trustworthy? Will I ever get the zines I order? etc etc.... it takes a while for word to get around that your distro is a good one...

Also, people won't reeeally start to order until you've got a largish catalogue I find... I opened with about 22 zines I think and had orders from the first week... so yeah, I had a lot of my time and money in the distro before I even opened.

I have repeated myself many times in this - sorry!

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service