We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hi everyone!
My distro, False Start, is going to be opening in February. I was thinking of having a percentage of all orders be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Does anyone do this sort of thing? What is a good percentage and has it affected your sales negatively or positively? If you've thought about doing this, but decided against it, why not?

And out of curiosity, what charities/causes did you use your distro to support?

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

I did 20% of my sales in October to First Candle which is a SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) foundation. My nephew passed away from SIDS in 2007 and Oct is SIDS awareness month. I will probably do this every October. I was able to give around $25 this year to the cause. At this time i could not continue to do that because 20% is a good chunk of "profit"... meaning the money that goes back into the distro to keep it operating without digging into my pocket.
I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew. I've decided to do this charity thing because my boyfriend was just diagnosed with leukemia, so I'm having a hard time reconciling wanting to keep my distro afloat and donating as much as I can! I was thinking about 10-15% but it feels so stingy!

NicoleIntrovert said:
I did 20% of my sales in October to First Candle which is a SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) foundation. My nephew passed away from SIDS in 2007 and Oct is SIDS awareness month. I will probably do this every October. I was able to give around $25 this year to the cause. At this time i could not continue to do that because 20% is a good chunk of "profit"... meaning the money that goes back into the distro to keep it operating without digging into my pocket.
I like Nicole's idea of doing a percentage of her sales once a month. I just opened my distro, and I'm still in the red - you must be too. I would wait a while before you start donating a part of your profits - mostly because you'd still be trying to make up for what you lost. And even then, once a month is good.

You could always add some kind of donation option for people on your site. "Would you like to donate $1 to [insert charity]? Click here to add to your order!" - something like that.
I know this is incredibly late. Forgive me.
I donate 10% of every perzine order to TWLOHA (To Write Love On Her Arms), and for the other zines and other items I donate 10% to Love146.
And I always donate 10% of the profits to my church.
It doesn't affect my sales at all.. I actually don't tell people that I donate any money to any charities/non-profits.

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service