We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Yo Neil, yo quimbys people, yo chicago! We gonna do a zinefest? there were rumors floating about.... I'd like to help make that happen, though I don't want to be the main bunny in charge or anything.... but i'll help! any thoughts?

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

I make artist books from recycled materials. These can become a base for a zine, or a journal, or just an art piece. I would love to give classes in my techniques at the zinefest. I am experienced at art/craft demonstration and teaching.
I think it would be a fun addition to zinefest, and take away the initial fear of making one's own book.
Bradley Adita said:
I think its important to know your history. It could be argued that Zinefests actually started in Chicago. Do some research at DePaul University's John T. Richardson Library in their Special Collections Archive. The original Underground Press Conference happened on the DePaul campus in August of 1994. This conference eventually migrated to Ohio and later became the Allied Media Conference. There was a time in the late 90's/early 00's that AMC was bigger than PDX. However AMC eventually was overtaken by Portland. AMC is now based out of Detroit.

There have been attempts to do zinefests in Chicago during the last decade (00's). Not one of the them really was able to approach anything on the scale of PDX or AMC. If you are serious about this idea you should do more research and figure things out. Work with Lichen Lending Library, CUL, & be aware of the resources available at DePaul (im sure the Lumpen cats would be down as well). Develop a history of underground publishing in Chicago. Reach out to people and organizations from the history. But also be aware of the present scene. And keep another eye on the future.

And here's another thing. Zinefests and zine conferences are getting very mediocre. Try not to make yet another mediocre zine fest. I'm assuming that you've already been to many zinefests and are familiar with some of the problems that persist across the board. The biggest problem in my view is that the fests almost always wind up being a bunch of zine kids sitting behind 8 foot tables with at best a few people from the public milling around. This might have been exciting in the 90s but as we move into the 10's this is old hat. The fest must communicate with the general public and attract at a minium double the amount of zine people involved (triple would be what you should actually shoot for). The focus of the fest should be more along the lines of the Renegade Craft Fairs (however I can come up with a litany of problems with Renegade & Renegade knock-offs as well).

Reference:
http://www.lib.depaul.edu/Collections/resourceList.aspx?t=202
http://www.alliedmediaconference.org/
That's a great idea! We'll be getting the website up within the next week or two and on it will be a submission form for workshop/discussion ideas. I'll let you know when it's up! If you have any other ideas at any time you can email chicagozinefest@gmail.com

linda platt said:
I make artist books from recycled materials. These can become a base for a zine, or a journal, or just an art piece. I would love to give classes in my techniques at the zinefest. I am experienced at art/craft demonstration and teaching.
I think it would be a fun addition to zinefest, and take away the initial fear of making one's own book.
Bradley Adita said:
I think its important to know your history. It could be argued that Zinefests actually started in Chicago. Do some research at DePaul University's John T. Richardson Library in their Special Collections Archive. The original Underground Press Conference happened on the DePaul campus in August of 1994. This conference eventually migrated to Ohio and later became the Allied Media Conference. There was a time in the late 90's/early 00's that AMC was bigger than PDX. However AMC eventually was overtaken by Portland. AMC is now based out of Detroit.

There have been attempts to do zinefests in Chicago during the last decade (00's). Not one of the them really was able to approach anything on the scale of PDX or AMC. If you are serious about this idea you should do more research and figure things out. Work with Lichen Lending Library, CUL, & be aware of the resources available at DePaul (im sure the Lumpen cats would be down as well). Develop a history of underground publishing in Chicago. Reach out to people and organizations from the history. But also be aware of the present scene. And keep another eye on the future.

And here's another thing. Zinefests and zine conferences are getting very mediocre. Try not to make yet another mediocre zine fest. I'm assuming that you've already been to many zinefests and are familiar with some of the problems that persist across the board. The biggest problem in my view is that the fests almost always wind up being a bunch of zine kids sitting behind 8 foot tables with at best a few people from the public milling around. This might have been exciting in the 90s but as we move into the 10's this is old hat. The fest must communicate with the general public and attract at a minium double the amount of zine people involved (triple would be what you should actually shoot for). The focus of the fest should be more along the lines of the Renegade Craft Fairs (however I can come up with a litany of problems with Renegade & Renegade knock-offs as well).

Reference:
http://www.lib.depaul.edu/Collections/resourceList.aspx?t=202
http://www.alliedmediaconference.org/
Hi, suggestion for a site: the new pop-up galleries in the loop.?!?!?! That would be cool.
www.popupartloop.com
And how about getting a grant to fund it? from City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs
312-744-9797
Going with Columbia is a mistake. I would reconsider. PB09 was already there, why use the same place and have an event which has almost no chance of being anywhere near a comparable size? My vote is for a smaller more intimate venue where you can actually see if people show up! Do you wanna be Fall Out Boy or The Redwalls? If you have it at Columbia - it will just get lost with the rest of the stuff thats going on there... (Why the need for a campus anyway?) Alternatives: A Chicago Park District Field House? - An all-ages venue? A rec. hall / donate church/religious space? etc... Also - why March 2010? Why not give yourself more time to plan?
(((thats my 2 cents on that issue)))

(((as for the rest of it...)))
I've seen it before. People coming around and putting on their version of "the Great Chicago Zinefest" but with little to show when the day is over. But dont mistake my skepticism for disbelief. I still believe it is possible. The only difference this time, is that we now have (WMZs) this semi-public forum to communicate in. So here's to communication. Your history in the "Chicago Zine Scene" (a mythical farce if I've ever seen one) is irrelevent. You will come and go as you please - as have all those that have come before you and will come after you. Dont fool yourself, It is already "your own" - (you just dont know what to do with the priviledge). Dont put on a show, just SHOW. Dont worry about speaking for the entire planet, dont forsake the dead like that. Step on toes, its the only way to learn how to dance.

ramsey everydaypants said:
Hi. Thanks for your input. This is the type of stuff we're looking for as we get a little further along (really the only things we wanted to secure before opening up meetings more is a venue and date, since those are beureaucratic processes that can get really garbled with too many hands in the pot.)

We've actually already been in touch with most of the places you mentioned in your post and we've already looked into various zine fests that have happened in Chicago's past. We have been to zinefests in other cities. It's definitely great to strive for big things. Although our meetings have been small so far, we've talked to tons of people from different organizations, other zine fests, previous Chicago zine fest organizers, etc and have pulled great advice from all of them.

Of course we're going to try not to make a mediocre zine fest. We're trying to make a great event! How successful it will be is dependent on all sorts of things. We hope this will be a reoccuring annual fest that will only get better with time. We're definitely going to open up meetings for programming ideas and also will be looking for promotion help as it gets down the line.

We know that we're all new in the Chicago Zine scene but we didn't want that to stop us from trying to do this. Though we do know that we don't want to speak for the entire scene and want to get all sorts of people involved. We've met a lot of great and knowledgeable zine people in the process. It's a weird thing being part of a younger generation of people doing something because we don't want to step on toes but we don't want to not make it our own (as well as yours) at the same time
Bradley,
Hi my name is Leslie, I'm one of the people organizing the zine fest.
I appreciate your input on the Zine Fest but want to explain what we're doing and how we see the zine fest going.
I don't see going with Columbia as a mistake, we will have a lot more access to resources through them and the ability to reach a wider audience through promotion and student involvement.
We have talked to a lot of people and venues. Examples: Park district field houses, Art galleries, Churches and several all age venues. The park district charges a huge fee for renting a space. We talked to the people at Renegade and they have to charge $250 for a table to cover the fees, this is not possible for us. Churches and venues all also charge a large fee and none have provided the kind of space to the event that Columbia could. We do have an alternative Art Space that we would love to use if Columbia doesn't work out, it's just not as large and further away from public transit.
To us, our priorities with the zine fest are having an event that is accessible to a large number of people and to be able to make it a community event that people are able to support and get involved with.
We don't see the printer's ball as a competition to the zine fest. It's a literary event and doesn't feature the same artists we are hoping to have or really feature self-published publications.
We know that zine fests are happening all over, but the point is that nothing is happening in Chicago. We want to see it happen here. We have been doing a lot of the leg work for awhile now, it's not as if the idea just came to us. We've spent a good couple of months already working on the basics for making it happen. And even if it fails miserably, we're going to be happy that it happened here. There are a lot of people here that make awesome zines and we want them to get the chance to showcase them. The more support we have on the event the more likely it's going to be a success. If you have any kind of alternative venue that can also a)give us a free space to house 60+ tables b)supply us with tables and chairs c)help us with free promotion of flyers and posters and d)work with us to make the event larger and bring in people that will draw a crowd to the event...please let us know because from every place we have talked to and visited, Columbia is definitely our best option.
I hope that helps explain why we're hoping to have it at Columbia and what we're trying to accomplish with the event.
If you have any direct questions or suggestions for us or want to communicate about the zine fest also feel free to email us at chicagozinefest@gmail.com
thanks,
leslie

Bradley Adita said:
Going with Columbia is a mistake. I would reconsider. PB09 was already there, why use the same place and have an event which has almost no chance of being anywhere near a comparable size? My vote is for a smaller more intimate venue where you can actually see if people show up! Do you wanna be Fall Out Boy or The Redwalls? If you have it at Columbia - it will just get lost with the rest of the stuff thats going on there... (Why the need for a campus anyway?) Alternatives: A Chicago Park District Field House? - An all-ages venue? A rec. hall / donate church/religious space? etc... Also - why March 2010? Why not give yourself more time to plan?
(((thats my 2 cents on that issue)))

(((as for the rest of it...)))
I've seen it before. People coming around and putting on their version of "the Great Chicago Zinefest" but with little to show when the day is over. But dont mistake my skepticism for disbelief. I still believe it is possible. The only difference this time, is that we now have (WMZs) this semi-public forum to communicate in. So here's to communication. Your history in the "Chicago Zine Scene" (a mythical farce if I've ever seen one) is irrelevent. You will come and go as you please - as have all those that have come before you and will come after you. Dont fool yourself, It is already "your own" - (you just dont know what to do with the priviledge). Dont put on a show, just SHOW. Dont worry about speaking for the entire planet, dont forsake the dead like that. Step on toes, its the only way to learn how to dance.

Hi. Thanks for your input. This is the type of stuff we're looking for as we get a little further along (really the only things we wanted to secure before opening up meetings more is a venue and date, since those are beureaucratic processes that can get really garbled with too many hands in the pot.)

We've actually already been in touch with most of the places you mentioned in your post and we've already looked into various zine fests that have happened in Chicago's past. We have been to zinefests in other cities. It's definitely great to strive for big things. Although our meetings have been small so far, we've talked to tons of people from different organizations, other zine fests, previous Chicago zine fest organizers, etc and have pulled great advice from all of them.

Of course we're going to try not to make a mediocre zine fest. We're trying to make a great event! How successful it will be is dependent on all sorts of things. We hope this will be a reoccuring annual fest that will only get better with time. We're definitely going to open up meetings for programming ideas and also will be looking for promotion help as it gets down the line.

We know that we're all new in the Chicago Zine scene but we didn't want that to stop us from trying to do this. Though we do know that we don't want to speak for the entire scene and want to get all sorts of people involved. We've met a lot of great and knowledgeable zine people in the process. It's a weird thing being part of a younger generation of people doing something because we don't want to step on toes but we don't want to not make it our own (as well as yours) at the same time
I dont feel the need to communicate through email about this - I think WMZs is a good venue for this conversation. Keep it semi-public... who's reading this anyway? I encourage other members of the Chicago Zinesters Group to speak up as well.

To the organizers of the latest Chicago Zine Fest;
Nothing you have written about here leads me to believe you are traveling down a different path than the people behind Ephemera, Printers Ball, Indie Arts Market, The Hip Lit Fairs, (help me list the other Chicago zine fest/fairs we've had in the last decade or so...) etc... Its also wrong to think that zine fests aren't happening here since, last I checked, Ephemera and Printers Ball are still functioning. The last Ephemera was less than half a year ago - and the PB as been pretty consistent (excpet for that one time at the Zhou Brothers Gallery when things went kaput). - - - Ok. I understand a little more why you think Columbia is the way to go, but it seems your reasons are because you are going to get a lot of free stuff ("free space, free tables & chairs, free promotion, flyers & posters, free help bringing in people"), but these are the trappings of a mediocre zine fest (especially the tables and chairs). - - - I think your idea of success and failure regarding a future Chicago Zine Fest is completely different from mine. Its 2010 and we need a new kind of zine fest. We need to break the trappings of the old zine fest. See, Columbia is like Troy's Bucket - its the easy way out. You just got the key to One-eyed Willy from Chester Copperpot's rotting skeleton and now you are at the bottom of the old Mosgard Wishing Well... Its up to you - do you use the key or ride Troy's Bucket?

leslie perrine said:
Bradley,
I appreciate your input on the Zine Fest but want to explain what we're doing and how we see the zine fest going.
I don't see going with Columbia as a mistake, we will have a lot more access to resources through them and the ability to reach a wider audience through promotion and student involvement.
We have talked to a lot of people and venues. Examples: Park district field houses, Art galleries, Churches and several all age venues. The park district charges a huge fee for renting a space. We talked to the people at Renegade and they have to charge $250 for a table to cover the fees, this is not possible for us. Churches and venues all also charge a large fee and none have provided the kind of space to the event that Columbia could. We do have an alternative Art Space that we would love to use if Columbia doesn't work out, it's just not as large and further away from public transit.
To us, our priorities with the zine fest are having an event that is accessible to a large number of people and to be able to make it a community event that people are able to support and get involved with.
We don't see the printer's ball as a competition to the zine fest. It's a literary event and doesn't feature the same artists we are hoping to have or really feature self-published publications.
We know that zine fests are happening all over, but the point is that nothing is happening in Chicago. We want to see it happen here. We have been doing a lot of the leg work for awhile now, it's not as if the idea just came to us. We've spent a good couple of months already working on the basics for making it happen. And even if it fails miserably, we're going to be happy that it happened here. There are a lot of people here that make awesome zines and we want them to get the chance to showcase them. The more support we have on the event the more likely it's going to be a success. If you have any kind of alternative venue that can also a)give us a free space to house 60+ tables b)supply us with tables and chairs c)help us with free promotion of flyers and posters and d)work with us to make the event larger and bring in people that will draw a crowd to the event...please let us know because from every place we have talked to and visited, Columbia is definitely our best option.
I hope that helps explain why we're hoping to have it at Columbia and what we're trying to accomplish with the event.
If you have any direct questions or suggestions for us or want to communicate about the zine fest also feel free to email us at chicagozinefest@gmail.com
thanks,
leslie
Hi Bradley. If you'd like to discuss the things you're bringing up, feel free to call me. 410-499-7567. I'm not sure that this forum is conducive to anything but a circular conversation, at least at the rate we're going. You seem to have a lot of ideas and opinions, and it would probably be easier to have a conversation about it than to write long winded messages, from either side. Feel free to call. Since you're concerned about public disclosure, I can take notes and post it on the board if people are interested in the discussion. As we said before, we've never done this before and are doing our best. It sounds like you've set up a zine fest before and we'd be glad to hear what you have to say in a more concise mode of conversation.

Bradley Adita said:
I dont feel the need to communicate through email about this - I think WMZs is a good venue for this conversation. Keep it semi-public... who's reading this anyway? I encourage other members of the Chicago Zinesters Group to speak up as well.

To the organizers of the latest Chicago Zine Fest;
Nothing you have written about here leads me to believe you are traveling down a different path than the people behind Ephemera, Printers Ball, Indie Arts Market, The Hip Lit Fairs, (help me list the other Chicago zine fest/fairs we've had in the last decade or so...) etc... Its also wrong to think that zine fests aren't happening here since, last I checked, Ephemera and Printers Ball are still functioning. The last Ephemera was less than half a year ago - and the PB as been pretty consistent (excpet for that one time at the Zhou Brothers Gallery when things went kaput). - - - Ok. I understand a little more why you think Columbia is the way to go, but it seems your reasons are because you are going to get a lot of free stuff ("free space, free tables & chairs, free promotion, flyers & posters, free help bringing in people"), but these are the trappings of a mediocre zine fest (especially the tables and chairs). - - - I think your idea of success and failure regarding a future Chicago Zine Fest is completely different from mine. Its 2010 and we need a new kind of zine fest. We need to break the trappings of the old zine fest. See, Columbia is like Troy's Bucket - its the easy way out. You just got the key to One-eyed Willy from Chester Copperpot's rotting skeleton and now you are at the bottom of the old Mosgard Wishing Well... Its up to you - do you use the key or ride Troy's Bucket?

leslie perrine said:
Bradley,
thanks,
leslie
Despite this being a semi-public forum its probably not a good idea to list your phone number. But its your call. I'll attempt to call at some point, but I dont see why this discussion can't take place here. Why close off conversation when we can communicate through a forum like this and stand behind what we wrote/write. I'm just telling it like I'm seeing it.

As for further communication - I think we should pick a time and place and meet up somewhere... we could make it an open meeting and determine in advance how many people will be showing up and make it a requirement that each person showing up must bring enough copies of their own zine to trade with everyone else. Now that would be something. My vote would be to meet at the John T. Richardson Library on the Lincoln Park DePaul Campus (we could find a place to talk - maybe across the street at the Student Union - and then go back to the library and visit the Special Collections archive on the third floor. Let me know if this is something you wanna try.

I'm not against a phone call, but i dont really see how that is going to make communication better. At least here we have to think about what we are saying and then write and wait for a response. On the phone, its just back and forth with less thought in-between. In person, at an open meeting, that would be ideal, IMO.

I've already written what I think, the main points being that a smaller more intimate venue (at a later date, sometime in the spring or summer- or fall, even) would be better than late winter - the other point is that I dont think a mediocre chicago zine fest is what we need right now.

If there are specific questions you have for me - ask them here and I'll do my best to answer them.
My questions to you (the organizers) remain unanswered:
(1) Do you wanna be Fall Out Boy or The Redwalls?
(2) Do you want to use the key or do you want to ride up Troy's Bucket?

Hi Bradley. If you'd like to discuss the things you're bringing up, feel free to call me. 410-499-7567. I'm not sure that this forum is conducive to anything but a circular conversation, at least at the rate we're going. You seem to have a lot of ideas and opinions, and it would probably be easier to have a conversation about it than to write long winded messages, from either side. Feel free to call. Since you're concerned about public disclosure, I can take notes and post it on the board if people are interested in the discussion. As we said before, we've never done this before and are doing our best. It sounds like you've set up a zine fest before and we'd be glad to hear what you have to say in a more concise mode of conversation.
Columbia sounds good to me. Really, anywhere does. I'm just happy to join in on the fun - it's going to be fun, right? I kid you. Anyhow, will organizers be sending interested peoples (like myself) an email giving us an idea of when/where and all the juicy details? That would be great, just in case I need to take time off work. Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the fest!
Hi Olivia! The plan is once we have a date and venue confirmed, we'll try to spread the word like crazy. The website will have an exhibitor registration form and all the info about the fest. We'll also start to have open meetings at that point so we can all plan programming and fun things to happen at the event, and also plan how to promote this and make sure it's well attended so that tabling ends up being worthwhile for zinesters!

We'll have a venue confirmed by Jan 15 at the latest, so keep an eye out then. Hopefully you won't have to keep an eye out too hard, or we wouldn't be doing a good job of spreading the word. I'm glad you're excited! We are too.

Olivia Arrow said:
Columbia sounds good to me. Really, anywhere does. I'm just happy to join in on the fun - it's going to be fun, right? I kid you. Anyhow, will organizers be sending interested peoples (like myself) an email giving us an idea of when/where and all the juicy details? That would be great, just in case I need to take time off work. Thanks, I'm really looking forward to the fest!
Bradley,
Thanks for your input about the venue and how to organize the fest. We are definitely going to start having open meetings once we have the venue confirmed and have started the gears really getting in motion about this. This should be around the middle of this month.
I guess how we see it is that if we don't worry about having a mediocre fest it won't be mediocre--it's going to be awesome! We're excited, other people are excited and that's really what matters. We think getting people together being able to see people working in the same genre (which DIY art and publishing is definitely glossed over for bigger things in chicago I feel, and not highlighted at the printer's ball) and have an open fun place to talk about zines and publishing and get inspired to keep doing it, is what is important and what will make the event a success.
We picked the end of winter because we knew there weren't a lot of other zine or comic fests going on at that time. We also didn't want to set the goal so far ahead that it felt like it was never going to happen. It's definitely going to happen and since we picked march, we're trying to hold up to march unless some catastrophe happens along the way.
Definitely the idea of all meeting up and talking is great and going to happen, we'll talk more in a week or two about that. And my suggestion of email was more if you had direct suggestions such as different venues and contact information for those venues, I'm not trying to privatize our conversation in any way.
Also, your two questions that haven't been answered, I don't know what either of them mean so I can't answer them, sorry.
Thanks again for your concerns, we've definitely been talking about them but also are confident that the event we're planning won't be mediocre and will be fun and hopefully you will to.

leslie
I also wasn't trying to privatize the conversation by suggesting you call me. I just thought a conversation would be helpful so we could catch you up on various ideas we've already discussed in meetings. Many of your suggestions are things we've previously had in depth conversations about, so I thought it would just be more concise to be able to catch you up to speed, so your suggestions are relevant to where we are in the planning process and we can focus the conversation a little more.

leslie perrine said:
Bradley,
Thanks for your input about the venue and how to organize the fest. We are definitely going to start having open meetings once we have the venue confirmed and have started the gears really getting in motion about this. This should be around the middle of this month.
I guess how we see it is that if we don't worry about having a mediocre fest it won't be mediocre--it's going to be awesome! We're excited, other people are excited and that's really what matters. We think getting people together being able to see people working in the same genre (which DIY art and publishing is definitely glossed over for bigger things in chicago I feel, and not highlighted at the printer's ball) and have an open fun place to talk about zines and publishing and get inspired to keep doing it, is what is important and what will make the event a success.
We picked the end of winter because we knew there weren't a lot of other zine or comic fests going on at that time. We also didn't want to set the goal so far ahead that it felt like it was never going to happen. It's definitely going to happen and since we picked march, we're trying to hold up to march unless some catastrophe happens along the way.
Definitely the idea of all meeting up and talking is great and going to happen, we'll talk more in a week or two about that. And my suggestion of email was more if you had direct suggestions such as different venues and contact information for those venues, I'm not trying to privatize our conversation in any way.
Also, your two questions that haven't been answered, I don't know what either of them mean so I can't answer them, sorry.
Thanks again for your concerns, we've definitely been talking about them but also are confident that the event we're planning won't be mediocre and will be fun and hopefully you will to.

leslie

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service