We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Saves us cluttering up the comments box

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Reply from the west hill hall:
Hi Emma.
Sorry for the slow reply, I have been away.
It would be amazing to have a zine fair at westhill.
Let me know if you're still interested.
You can call if you like 07932 038710
Lianne

I've emailed her back to find out about possible dates
Cool cool! If you are thinking about bands (which in my biased opinion being in bands and putting on gigs in Brighton is a good idea!) then I have a gig I'm planning for Jan or Feb which would work very well there and I'd be more than happy to take care of that side of things. If not appealing to people though that is totally fine as well!
That'd be great. I'm just emailing Lianne the organiser back and forth now. I said that we really wanted a date when the students will be there, february ideally, but at a push nov might be possible if that's the only free time

Toby said:
Cool cool! If you are thinking about bands (which in my biased opinion being in bands and putting on gigs in Brighton is a good idea!) then I have a gig I'm planning for Jan or Feb which would work very well there and I'd be more than happy to take care of that side of things. If not appealing to people though that is totally fine as well!
I asked about bands in the evening, and that might be a bit problematic, because she has people clamouring to put on evening gigs.

Free dates were 9th of November (too soon!) 23rd November (possible if everyone gets their skates on) and any sunday in Feb
Ok details from West Hill:
We can have the hall Sundays from 11-5, the rental fee is £20 for the day, and people coming to the event would put money in a donation bucket for the hall.

I'm happy to do one on the 23rd of Nov if other people are available to help organise, if not it will be a sunday in Feb. Of course if we do one in Nov, we can also do one in Feb if it goes reasonably well.
I'd be inclined to go with a Sunday in Nov to get it done in time, Nov is possible but when I was at Uni we had end of term exams (does that still happen in Dec?) and people are saving for xmas (I might be getting totally pedantic here!). Basically I reckon Nov is possible but if we wait till Feb we can have an awesome proper Brighton zine fest with decent flyers and maybe even some workshops (I know someone who could do screenprinting for example). Are there any side rooms at Westhill for that sort of thing? Or could the room be divided up?
There's a stage with blocks at the back, that could easily be a workshop space

Toby said:
I'd be inclined to go with a Sunday in Nov to get it done in time, Nov is possible but when I was at Uni we had end of term exams (does that still happen in Dec?) and people are saving for xmas (I might be getting totally pedantic here!). Basically I reckon Nov is possible but if we wait till Feb we can have an awesome proper Brighton zine fest with decent flyers and maybe even some workshops (I know someone who could do screenprinting for example). Are there any side rooms at Westhill for that sort of thing? Or could the room be divided up?
wow this is awesome things are rolling! if i could say a few things:

i think if i we were going to do this as a collective effort (and i would love to do help out!) then i would want to take my time choosing the right venue, and check it out as a group, see if it's big enough, heated well, could sleep people, could prepare food there etc etc

having said that, i like the idea of doing something in november at westhill, but maybe as a gig with a zine afternoon... maybe as a sort of tryout to see how we organise and how the venue is etc etc nov23 is ok for me

i think a feb date is good for the zinefest because then we can publicise far and wide and give people time to get organised and book tickets etc etc i would certainly like to get a few peeps over from europe...

so far all i heard for next year is saturday 24 jan womens library zine event london and zinefest mulheim April 25 to 26

for doing music in jan/feb, i think its a great idea! maybe we can do different things in different places, then its more of a festival weekend type thang. and probably there are some music-playing zinesters who would be up for playing (i have a few in mind). i also like the idea of having djs playing background music whilst people browse zines...
I think finding somewhere that will sleep people in Brighton will be a serious stretch.

here's the details they sent me for west hill http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=fdcb84401e&view=att&am... there is a kitchen there, but no sleeping space
i dont have a gmail so i cant check the link .. but i checked their myspace, it looks cool! http://www.myspace.com/westhill

i guess this is the place someone from my course was telling me about today actually - they do occasional queer parties there with zines and stuff. its probably a good place to use!

for sleeping, well that was just one example of a BIG list of things which would have to be considered. i dont think its that necessary or desirable for people to sleep at the venue actually - they could hopefully couchsurf or kip at friends. but it wouldnt be impossible to find somewhere - graeme's warehouse would be fine for people to stay at, but that's only a summer option (it's the place i mentioned before that doesnt have heating)

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I think finding somewhere that will sleep people in Brighton will be a serious stretch.

here's the details they sent me for west hill http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=fdcb84401e&view=att&am... there is a kitchen there, but no sleeping space
I am English, therefore I laugh in the face of adequate heating. Also plumbing that works properly.

(why is the UK so crap at pluming and heating compared to the rest of europe? even the ex communist bits?)
i hope graeme joins this gruppe (altho to be fair i only just remembered to ask him and im not sure if he has home internet yet), coz he is really eager to have a zinefest at his place. i would be too, but i really dont like the idea of an unheated big room in winter. im not a wuss actually, im sitting here wrapped up in a blanket next to a wood fire, im really very hardcore (believe!) but the thing is i want to create a nice atmosphere for people to hang out and peruse zines, where they can sit and relax, not chill out and die. and thus a bit of heat is good. altho im also considering the possibility that if we publicise this a lot, its gonna be rammed!

is the uk crap at plumbing? im not sure if i have ever had a problem with plumbing in any country i lived in (not to tempt fate of course... famous last words)

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service