We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Zinesters Resend E-mail and help Make the Biggest Music Challenge Happen

Music lover  Please Send this E-mail to the addresses listed.

I am challenging NPR to a music challenge, "Trendy versus Indy", my Big LIst of 200 songs versus ANY 200 songs from them. This is the biggest music challenge in history!!!  Help support this fun music challenge  Put these addresses in your e-mail and send this post. Add friends and any comment you like. Pass the word. Music will finally be exciting again IF you can paste and click! History of the world is in your mouse!

allsongs@NPR.org  artandseek@kera.org music@kut.org mrr@maximumrocknroll.com monitormix@npr.org letters@nylonmag.com onthemedia@wnyc.org perez@perezhilton.com pete.freedman@dallasobserver.com studio360@nyc.org editor@utne.com pslavens@kera.org undercurrentsradio@gmail.com  inquiry@airmedia.org ashepard@npr.org

NPR Challenge  

When it comes to QUALITY in music is NPR up for the CHALLENGE?

NPR, it's time for a musical showdown. I challenge  NPR music writers, and both NPR music blogs: All Songs Considered, and Monitor Mix, to a musical challenge.

You present your best  100-200 new songs, versus my BIG LIST, first best of world music from the net, list .

For every entry you choose to play or spotlight, I'll suggest a Big List alternative that I claim is better music. Then your listeners, readers can vote on their favorites. I suggest that my back-to-basics music list will garner the most favorite votes and comments. 

NPR, you can choose any new music you covered in the last year or two. It can be any type of music, any format, any style, from anywhere in the world. I'll find a song from The BIG LIST close to that style. both selections will be played and YOUR listeners can vote on their favorites.  The odds are on your side, but the music quality is on mine!

The Big List  is at http://wp.me/p5S9X-36. If the internet is the world's first jukebox, this list is the first contents of that jukebox.

My contention is that there is a worldwide golden age of original great music going on now, none of which NPR or the mainstream seems to be  aware of. NPR ready for the challenge?  

Views: 8

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

what does this have to do with zines? i smell spam
My zine Musea is about the art revolution - all arts and media including music. I am writer, musician, and artists - they are all important in my zine. Plus all the other arts too.
Thanks for all those that are forwarding this e-mail.
Do it again, and get your friends to help.
Helping here helps a lot of indy musicians and perhaps indy music zines sooner or later.
I'm a writer, musician, and artist who talks about such things in my zine as well, and I agree with Derek that this is not zine-related. I also don't know what you're trying to accomplish here apart from promoting your blog. But good luck to you.
Hannah / Frothy Press said:
I'm a writer, musician, and artist who talks about such things in my zine as well, and I agree with Derek that this is not zine-related. I also don't know what you're trying to accomplish here apart from promoting your blog. But good luck to you.

For 17 years my zine has challenge corporate art and done things like this to further support indie musicians, painters, zinesters, and artists of all kinds. That's what the zine Misea is all about. Why not be rebellious for a moment and send an e-mail. Hannah do it to support hundreds of other musicians. This is no time for conservativeness.
Tom Hendricks said:
For 17 years my zine has challenge corporate art and done things like this to further support indie musicians, painters, zinesters, and artists of all kinds. That's what the zine Misea is all about. Why not be rebellious for a moment and send an e-mail. Hannah do it to support hundreds of other musicians. This is no time for conservativeness.

Sorry, no. Please understand I'm not trying to start shit here--the following statements are my personal reasons for not resending this e-mail, and others can do as they wish. I'm trying to word this in a constructively critical way, and if I cause offense, I apologize in advance.

You claim to be challenging NPR's "trendy" music selection and exposing people to a golden age of music that NPR ignores by making a list that includes Ingrid Michaelson, Feist, Camera Obscura, the Pipettes, Joanna Newsom, Laura Marling, Tilly and the Wall, Amy Winehouse, the Weepies, and Lykke Li, all of whom have been featured on NPR (and that's just from a quick skim of your list). You limit NPR to new music covered in the last year or two, but your list includes Dusty Springfield, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, and so on. You say this is world's first worldwide best new music list, but the vast majority of these artists are in the western hemisphere. You demand free airtime from NPR even though you're covering much of the same ground, and assistance in that endeavor from zinesters even though this has nothing to do with zines. Based on what you've said here and in your original blog post, I can't find a reason to help you. Appealing to my rebellious side and calling me conservative for not spamming NPR definitely didn't improve matters.

You want to do something meaningful to bring exposure to truly independent musicians with no ties to corporate art? Go sign up at Jamendo.com, spend a few weeks listening to the exceptional free music there from all around the world, and then make another list. Hell, there's enough stuff there to fill a zine. You seem to have a good readership on your blog, so promoting Jamendo artists could result in great things for them. (Full disclosure: my music is on Jamendo, and every once in a while I make money from it.) But as things stand right now, I fail to see how your list significantly helps any independent artists.
Tom Hendricks said:

Sorry, no. Please understand I'm not trying to start shit here--the following statements are my personal reasons for not resending this e-mail, and others can do as they wish. I'm trying to word this in a constructively critical way, and if I cause offense, I apologize in advance.

You claim to be challenging NPR's "trendy" music selection and exposing people to a golden age of music that NPR ignores by making a list that includes Ingrid Michaelson, Feist, Camera Obscura, the Pipettes, Joanna Newsom, Laura Marling, Tilly and the Wall, Amy Winehouse, the Weepies, and Lykke Li, all of whom have been featured on NPR (and that's just from a quick skim of your list). You limit NPR to new music covered in the last year or two, but your list includes Dusty Springfield, the Beatles, Frank Sinatra, and so on. You say this is world's first worldwide best new music list, but the vast majority of these artists are in the western hemisphere. You demand free airtime from NPR even though you're covering much of the same ground, and assistance in that endeavor from zinesters even though this has nothing to do with zines. Based on what you've said here and in your original blog post, I can't find a reason to help you. Appealing to my rebellious side and calling me conservative for not spamming NPR definitely didn't improve matters.

You want to do something meaningful to bring exposure to truly independent musicians with no ties to corporate art? Go sign up at Jamendo.com, spend a few weeks listening to the exceptional free music there from all around the world, and then make another list. Hell, there's enough stuff there to fill a zine. You seem to have a good readership on your blog, so promoting Jamendo artists could result in great things for them. (Full disclosure: my music is on Jamendo, and every once in a while I make money from it.) But as things stand right now, I fail to see how your list significantly helps any independent artists.

My list is not of artists, but of songs. You've picked out the ones you know without looking at the others from all over the world. That's not fair or honest. I've dealt with many zinesters here and many seem extremely conservative and against progressive support for other artists of any kind. I don't understand that. What's missing is some leadership to change - I see a lot of leadership to not make waves or to oppose any change, and II have no idea why that is so strong! I'll check out the site you suggest, but I'm against bands (yes I listed some songs made by bands, but my own work is anti bands -60 years after rock) I choose some because they were great songs. I'll put my list against any collection of 200 songs anywhere in the world. The SONGS are great. Please no other anti-change conservative reply - thanks.
Tom Hendricks said:
My list is not of artists, but of songs.

Please don't waste time with semantics. You said you're listing these songs to support hundreds of other musicians, but you're challenging NPR's taste in music by listing songs by musicians NPR has already featured.

Tom Hendricks said:
You've picked out the ones you know without looking at the others from all over the world. That's not fair or honest.

Yes, I pick and chose a few artists with whom I was familiar because I knew I'd heard them on NPR at some point. I used them as examples. And I looked up many of the ones I hadn't heard before and found that they were mostly from the western hemisphere. There is nothing unfair or dishonest about that.

Tom Hendricks said:
I've dealt with many zinesters here and many seem extremely conservative and against progressive support for other artists of any kind. I don't understand that. What's missing is some leadership to change - I see a lot of leadership to not make waves or to oppose any change, and II have no idea why that is so strong!

I have had the opposite experience, and I find that when a member of this community makes an effort to create some piece of original art, fellow members are supportive across the board.

Tom Hendricks said:
I'll check out the site you suggest, but I'm against bands (yes I listed some songs made by bands, but my own work is anti bands -60 years after rock)

I have no idea what you mean by being against bands or how it applies to this discussion. In any case, Jamendo has a healthy mix of bands and solo artists.

Tom Hendricks said:
I choose some because they were great songs. I'll put my list against any collection of 200 songs anywhere in the world. The SONGS are great. Please no other anti-change conservative reply - thanks.

Yup, the songs are great. Are they applicable to your goal as described in this topic's original post? I don't think so, which is why I'm not supporting it.

And one last thing: I'm trying to refrain from making anything that could be construed as a personal attack, and to avoid oversimplifying a fairly complex issue by resorting to name-calling, so I would appreciate it if you followed suit and stopped calling me anti-change and conservative. I am neither of those things. Lumping people who disagree with you into such categories will not help your cause.
Tom, this doesn't have enough to do with zines, I agree. I would appreciate if you would keep these kinds of things on your own WMZ blog or your off WMZ blog. Another reason why this is not okay to post on the forum is that it isn't a discussion, but an announcement. That is for your own WMZ blog. This forum is for questions and discussions about zines.

If you delete it we would lose the responses which seems unfair after the time that was put in responding. In the future please use your blog. Thanks.

Tom Hendricks said:
Tom Hendricks said:

My list is not of artists, but of songs. You've picked out the ones you know without looking at the others from all over the world. That's not fair or honest. I've dealt with many zinesters here and many seem extremely conservative and against progressive support for other artists of any kind. I don't understand that. What's missing is some leadership to change - I see a lot of leadership to not make waves or to oppose any change, and II have no idea why that is so strong! I'll check out the site you suggest, but I'm against bands (yes I listed some songs made by bands, but my own work is anti bands -60 years after rock) I choose some because they were great songs. I'll put my list against any collection of 200 songs anywhere in the world. The SONGS are great. Please no other anti-change conservative reply - thanks.
Appealing to my rebellious side and calling me conservative for not spamming NPR definitely didn't improve matters.

Two things about Tom, he calls people conservative that disagree with him (even if they are more liberal than he is) and he's crazy. Don't get trolled into arguing with him, he won't get your point.
Dan 10things said:
Appealing to my rebellious side and calling me conservative for not spamming NPR definitely didn't improve matters.

Two things about Tom, he calls people conservative that disagree with him (even if they are more liberal than he is) and he's crazy. Don't get trolled into arguing with him, he won't get your point.

Heh. I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt, but now that Krissy has spoken I won't be posting in this thread anymore.
This will be the last comment then I'm closing this discussion down.
If someone would have sent this original post to me, I would have looked it over said that seems like fun and I'm supporting other musicians too. Then I'd copy, paste, and send it. Maybe 3-5 minutes tops. But instead posters here took 10-20 minutes not to help but to block. To find reasons why they can't help others. There is a lesson here - that is if you are planning to be writers, or artists of any kind, musicians, painters, filmmakers, writers, etc. you'll have to learn to help other artists too and work with other artists to get more fairness for all. This is not a one way street. Choosing a life of writing, or playing music, or painting in any professional way, etc. means you have to help others. You can't just take and not give back. This is one way to help many - the 200 musicians on my list, the 200 NPR might put up to defend itself, and all the other musicians on the net. This is a way of challenging the status quo in music, and the consolidation of the arts and media into too few hands, and having fun, and supporting others. That's what my zine does.

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service