We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Zinester's Guide to NYC release...and release shindig!

The reason I've been virtually absent from
these boards for the 9 months is I've been virtually pregnant with a highly participatory, low budget,
illustrated guidebook to NYC - possibly the last wholly analog specimen
of its kind. Some of you may remember hearing about it ... and some of you contributed questions, which was awesome! And some of you who live in NYC are contributors, and that's why it's so good!

Stephen Colbert likes it and he doesn't even have a zine!

And now delivery is imminent! Consider this post is the equivalent of me breaking a bottle of champagne on the my ever slackening belly.

The publisher
is small but mighty Microcosm ... so word of mouth will be critical
to the success of the Zinester's Guide to NYC (or ZG2NYC as I prefer to
think of it). I know you've got a zine! If you've got a mouth or a blog or know someone or
are someone who yearns to connect with NYC's cheap, tasty, art-freak,
exhilarating fringes, have I got a book for you!

To sweeten the pot, everyone who preorders the book from Microcosm gets a complimentary, randomly selected back issue of my zine, the East Village Inky .

If you're going to BE in NYC on Nov 11 (Kurt Vonnegut's birthday and
the Day that Most Closely Resembles Corduroy) I hope you will join us
at 7pm at Housing Works Bookstore Cafe for a grand release shindig,
featuring original songs inspired by the ZG2NYC performed by the
Bushwick Book Club, a mini zine fair, readings, and a live game show,
the ZG2NYC $2 Pyramid! In the spirit of full disclosure, food and drink ain't free, but having guests pay for their own $3 PBRs is partly how Housing Works is going to win the fight to end AIDS and homelessness.

And in the moment or two before real life comes rushing back to clobber
me, please permit me to say thanks to this community for serving as a wonderful resource, support mechanism, and inspiration

Tags: city, new, york, zines

Views: 9

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to preorder this then realised I had to preorder separately from other stuff, thus having to pay postage twice, not good! This is out the day after my birthday:D

Stephanos said:
I went to preorder this then realised I had to preorder separately from other stuff, thus having to pay postage twice, not good! This is out the day after my birthday:D

hey - happy early birthday! Is the postage twice thing b/c the other stuff you're preordering comes out on different dates? Let me know, and I'll ask Microcosm if there's any chance they could figure out a way to wiggle around it.
Great Job, Ayun! And nice quote from Colbert!
Congratulations on the book!
Congratulations, Ayun! Looks great!
thanky! thanky! I'm getting so excited for the release - just learned that etsy is going to let me guest curate for a week in celebration of zg2nyc and of course, nyc itself!

if any of you guys would like to cover the ZG2NYC in your zines, blogs, freelance careers, I am at your service and can send press materials, as needed. It's not just a guidebook to nyc. it's also a story about why anyone would be nuts enough to publish a wholly analog guidebook in the age of iphone apps, and why anyone would be even nutsier enough to accept travel advice from the author of No Touch Monkey.

meanwhile, I am just happy as a clam reading Short and Queer zine from #1 forward while I should be drumming up publicity.

x
ayun
Congrats! I love zines AND NYC! Is there a way to book a table at he mini zine fair or is it too late? I'd love to table!

Serah-Marie said:
Congrats! I love zines AND NYC! Is there a way to book a table at he mini zine fair or is it too late? I'd love to table!
Ooh, I love what you love. The release party's zine fair is limited to the contributors - there are over 50 of them! Both time and space are tight at that event. It was the bookstore's rep who had the great idea of the mini zine fair. But please come and check out their zines, along with all the hooplah!
I would love to review it on Overglued.com if possible. Here is my contact info:
Overglued reviews
c/o Derek Neuland
6435 B NE Going St.
Portland,OR 97218

The East Village Inky said:
thanky! thanky! I'm getting so excited for the release - just learned that etsy is going to let me guest curate for a week in celebration of zg2nyc and of course, nyc itself!

if any of you guys would like to cover the ZG2NYC in your zines, blogs, freelance careers, I am at your service and can send press materials, as needed. It's not just a guidebook to nyc. it's also a story about why anyone would be nuts enough to publish a wholly analog guidebook in the age of iphone apps, and why anyone would be even nutsier enough to accept travel advice from the author of No Touch Monkey.

meanwhile, I am just happy as a clam reading Short and Queer zine from #1 forward while I should be drumming up publicity.

x
ayun
Wow, that's a lot of contributors! Great idea to have a mini fair with them. I don't live in NYC but I'm going to try to come down for this as I'm seriously overdue for a Big Apple fix.
fantastico - we would be thrilled to see you, Serah-Marie!

Derek - shoot me your email address.
email address is: derek@overglued.com

The East Village Inky said:
fantastico - we would be thrilled to see you, Serah-Marie!

Derek - shoot me your email address.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service