We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I was thinking we could come up with a collaborative list on what NOT to do as a zinester.

First don't -

Don't store your glue sticks in or around where you store your chapstick.

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trailer Trash zine said:
Don't write about the same things that everyone else is writing about. I think there are enough zines out there about veganism, anarchy, bike riding, and bad poetry. :)

ha!

i reckon it's more about telling interesting stories about whatever topic you chose, whether or not your subject is also the subject of a bunch of other zines (or subcultural conversations).

& not thinking that the bike-riding, coffee-shop-frequenting, greyhound-riding (or whatever) times of you life are the only ones you can tell stories about.

more zines about anarchy, i say, & more smart zines about everything!
A biggy is, if yr photocopying yr zine on the sly at work to avoid printing costs, DO NOT leave yr originals in the copier to be returned to you by yr boss at a later date. Esp. if said zine contains questionable material (luckily this has never happened to me,nor have I ever used questionable material).
Sport Billy said:
A biggy is, if yr photocopying yr zine on the sly at work to avoid printing costs, DO NOT leave yr originals in the copier to be returned to you by yr boss at a later date. Esp. if said zine contains questionable material (luckily this has never happened to me,nor have I ever used questionable material).

Ha ha!
Feminism... being 'different' from 'everyone else'... All this stuff has its place, but it can get mighty old.
Subjects that have been done and done and DONE in the zine world. Like anarchy, perzines and other things mentioned.

These things have a special place in the zine world, and write what comes from the heart, but zinesters should all be aware that writing about these things is not groundbreaking.

And yes, I write a perzine and much of it is about feeling alienated from almost everyone, (and I'm planning to write about how Susan B. Anthony was one of my earliest childhood heroes).

My point is, it's ok to not be groundbreaking, just don't be under a misconception that having normal 'anti-mainstream' ideas is anything new.

jessica domino said:
what about feminism?

BrightCircle said:
Feminism... being 'different' from 'everyone else'... All this stuff has its place, but it can get mighty old.
Elephant said:
What do people think about reproducing (ie photocopying) other people's zines?

This one is a MAJOR don't unless you have consent from the original writer themselves. Because it's just as bad as plagerism.
Elephant said:
What do people think about reproducing (ie photocopying) other people's zines?

Only done when the zine says explicitly "no copyright," "copyleft" or openly encourages it. Kathleen Hanna used to openly encourage people reprint and distribute Bikini Kill zine, she used her zine as a way to spread a message and a movement across that States through the punk scene to as many women as possible. Although, I have to say, Jerianne and I both picked up copies of an issue at Left Bank Books during the Seattle Zine Librarians Conference, and I have to wonder if 15 years later that copy and distribute freely message still applies. Who's making the profit on it when it's selling now? Certainly not Hanna, although she's now rockstar with a very wealthy rockstar husband and could probably care less at this point. For me, the most annoying thing would be someone profiting from my zine and keeping me out of the loop. When you sell your zine or you sell it through a distro, you make money off of each sale. And generally that's money you've already paid out of pocket to print your zine and need to print your next issue.
Although, this thread is more technical about zine making, just wanted point this out to people, too:

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/2288844:Topic:13550
"From now on I think a good way to circumvent photocopying costs is by simply encouraging other people to photocopy your zine in this fashion. Think of how much money you could save! This kills all kinds of birds with one stone."

I know you're not being completely serious, but this is actually a Hell of an idea. Make a short zine (so it doesn't add a lot to the cost of postage) ask everyone who recieves a copy to make as many copies as they like using whatever methods they care to and just send them out along with their own zines or to anyone else they feel like sending it to. If someone is feeling particuarly randy they can even hype it as a rare collectors item and try selling it on ebay. This is exactly the kind of ridiculous idea I love but am too lazy to pull off.
Yes, I've often thought about that. There comes a time when postage is just too goddamn expensive and for anyone who wants to get their zines oot and aboot without having to resort to questionable distributors, it might make more sense to have a few print-pals around the country rather than relying on crypto-hippies to spread the word.

If it ever comes to that, I would be honored to spread the gift of Fish With Legs around the Portland (Oregon) metro area.

Ericfishlegs said:
"From now on I think a good way to circumvent photocopying costs is by simply encouraging other people to photocopy your zine in this fashion. Think of how much money you could save! This kills all kinds of birds with one stone."
I know you're not being completely serious, but this is actually a Hell of an idea. Make a short zine (so it doesn't add a lot to the cost of postage) ask everyone who recieves a copy to make as many copies as they like using whatever methods they care to and just send them out along with their own zines or to anyone else they feel like sending it to. If someone is feeling particuarly randy they can even hype it as a rare collectors item and try selling it on ebay. This is exactly the kind of ridiculous idea I love but am too lazy to pull off.
I dont think being a feminist makes you that different.
DON'T
* ... pack the pages of a mini zine super full, because one little loose paper in the copier going through crooked really throws off your design the more you have to cut down.
* ... neglect to check your check your copies (if you have them done at a shop) before you get home, trim down, and realize they copied something upside down on the verso of every page.
* ... apologize.
* ... forget to credit other people who submit to the zine!
* ... be afraid to try things.
* ... be afraid to try "old" things. no one has your distinct voice. even if it's a poetry, vegan, music review, perzines, feminist rants, or bike riding zine. =b
* ... over tax an ancient copier at your job with your zine... then have to ask your boss to do a service call because it's mysteriously jammed from running too many (even if 10 is too many! stupid ancient machines...). and then pretend you don't know where that hand illustrated page from a body image zine came from... *cough*.

DO
* ... make a single photocopy of your zine before doing the run to check black values, text placement, and general pagination. better to catch it before making 50 copies.
* ... have fun and be experimental.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service