We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

My zine Fanzine Ynfytyn is named after a Datblygu song. It's pronounced fanzine uhn-vet-in (schwa sound at the beginning like the e in the) and it means Fanzine Idiot. It's about a hideous teenage boy thinking he's Nick Kent II / King Morissey the Second. The lyrics are great if you can understand Welsh. (sorry if you can't)

Here's a video someone's made on you-tube. It sounds a bit slow though, maybe it's one of those songs that sounds faster on vinyl.

If your zine's named after a song, try to find something on youtube or another site that lets us listen to the song it's named after.

Tags: names, songs

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my perzine's named after a song by the stooges. i'm not sure what the hell it's about (never really listened to the lyrics, but i just liked the sound of the name.. ha.
haha, that was supposed to be me, i forgot i was still logged in as the distro. silly girl.

VAMPIRE SUSHI DISTRO said:
my perzine's named after a song by the stooges. i'm not sure what the hell it's about (never really listened to the lyrics, but i just liked the sound of the name.. ha.
I honestly have never posted a video anywhere and have no idea how to do it, but my little distro, Sunday Morning, is named after two of my favorite songs, "Sunday Morning" by No Doubt and "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground.
If you search on youtube and find the video you want, when it's playing there's a code to copy on the right hand side. You want the longer code, just copy and paste it over (you get to choose a border colour these days too!)

Sabrina said:
I honestly have never posted a video anywhere and have no idea how to do it, but my little distro, Sunday Morning, is named after two of my favorite songs, "Sunday Morning" by No Doubt and "Sunday Morning" by the Velvet Underground.
Not mine but a Friend's zine was named after this song

And another zine which is still going was named after this one
No fancy videos, sorry.
But I named a few of my comix after songs. "Left of the Dial" (2000) and "Treatment Bound" (2002) were both named after Replacements songs. My compilation "Modern Industry" (2000-1) was named after a Fishbone song.
Awesome thread!

My perzine, Telegram Ma'am is named after the T. Rex song, Telegram Sam.

And my 24-hour zine, Little Acorns, is named after The White Stripes song of the same name.

I don't listen to Carcass as much as I did when I named my zine but I still love this song:

my zine, All Things Ordinary, is named after a song by The Anniversary
Apparently, I love song lyrics. My perzine, The Greatest of Heights is from a poem/album title of Fiona Apple's

And a mini zine I write, ...And I Will Always Be The One To Swim With You are lyrics from Gypsy Horse by The Radar Bros.

A Day In The Air - that's the name of my zine.
I heard the Jimmy Eat World song "Call It in the Air" from the 1996 album Static Prevails probably sometime in late 1996 or early 1997. I taped the song the first time I heard when I was tuning into Northwestern University's college radio station - WNUR. Then I made a mixtape of the best songs from around 10 hours of recorded radio. - I'm not saying I named my zine after the song directly, but it was one of factors that led to me deciding upon the name I wound up with. Either way its a great song.
Oh, and here's the words and my translation to the song mine's named after, it'll make a bit more sense to everyone who doesn't have welsh here

Fanzine Ynfytyn- Datblygu

Mae'n arllwys dros gyfrifiadur,
Rhoi pin yn ei eiriadur*,
Powdr talcym yn ei esgid,
Ac mae'n gwisgo sbectolau gwasanaeth iechyd.
Fanzine Ynfytyn (x4)

Pouring out on the computer
Sticks a pin in his dictionary
Talcum powder in his shoes
Wearing NHS specs
Fanzine Idiot

Wastod Manceinion
A’ch uh-huh caneuon,
Wastod Manceinion
Fanzine Ynfytyn (x2)

Manchester forever
Songs uh-huh
Manchester forever
Fanzine Idiot

Mae'n arllwys dros gyfrifiadur ....

Ac mae jelly dros pen cassette,
Y chwaraewr cassette yn ei ystafell wely.
Fanzine Ynfytyn (x2)
And there’s jelly on the end of the cassette
The cassette player in his bedroom
Fanzine Idiot

(NHS specs are free government issued glasses- as stylish as they sound. Morrissey was all over them in the 80s)

There's a few double entendres in there which I don't think I translated very well

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service