We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

My zine Fanzine Ynfytyn is named after a Datblygu song. It's pronounced fanzine uhn-vet-in (schwa sound at the beginning like the e in the) and it means Fanzine Idiot. It's about a hideous teenage boy thinking he's Nick Kent II / King Morissey the Second. The lyrics are great if you can understand Welsh. (sorry if you can't)

Here's a video someone's made on you-tube. It sounds a bit slow though, maybe it's one of those songs that sounds faster on vinyl.

If your zine's named after a song, try to find something on youtube or another site that lets us listen to the song it's named after.

Tags: names, songs

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The newest zine that I'm working on, Kitty Empire, is named after the song by Big Black. The song itself is meh, but I love the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5PNjtHOv4

'nothing is rhyming' just got shortened to 'nothing rhymes' for the sake of being a little less clunky. i seriously love this song.
The first zine I ever wrote for was done by my besties when we were in high school. It was a Morrissey fanzine, and it was called "Maudlin Street" after his song "Late Night, Maudlin Street."

I'm considering changing the name of my perzine to Undestructable, after the Gogol Bordello song. If I don't go through with that I'll just make a GB fanzine of the same name.
Oh wow, I had no idea so many other people named their zines after songs, this is brilliant :D

All three of mine had/have titles yoinked from songs...

'Intermission' was taken from the song of the same name by Nine Black Alps:

'Queenie' shares its title with a song by Brigade:

And 'Awaiting an Epiphany' is a lyric from the truly incredible 'Polar Swelling' by Grammatics:
my zine, the Muse the News and the Noose, is named after lyrics from a Crush song (Minneapolis band from the early 2000s who put out a cd on Adeline records).
In all my first few issues, the chapter titles were all named after songs.
I did a zine where I interviewed friends Sig transit gloria (from chicago).
Music is a big part of my life so it inevitably seeps into my writing.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing more about the Tegan and Sara inspired HOPE A PLANE zine and the zine named after that Anniversary song.

Thanks for posting this topic.
Miranda isn't named for a song, but it has a regular column called "Motel of Lost Companions," a line from Neil Young's "Thrasher."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t00MXZKbW0M
How about the other way around. Here is a song named after a zine.
Zine World by Hunkasaurus and Pet Dog Guitar. I make Musea and writer for Zine World.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVW-lz-dqE
BTW I began my zine by calling it Muse News, and got a lawyer letter from a newsletter in Houston that used the name for their piano teachers monthly!

Johnny Misfit! said:
my zine, the Muse the News and the Noose, is named after lyrics from a Crush song (Minneapolis band from the early 2000s who put out a cd on Adeline records).
In all my first few issues, the chapter titles were all named after songs.
I did a zine where I interviewed friends Sig transit gloria (from chicago).
Music is a big part of my life so it inevitably seeps into my writing.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing more about the Tegan and Sara inspired HOPE A PLANE zine and the zine named after that Anniversary song.

Thanks for posting this topic.
That's pretty funny. Kind of odd how someone will go to great lengths to get a small independently publushed 'zine' to change its name.
If they want to come after me, so be it.
Thanks for the post.

Tom Hendricks said:
BTW I began my zine by calling it Muse News, and got a lawyer letter from a newsletter in Houston that used the name for their piano teachers monthly!

A happy follow-up to my last post in here... I went to see Brigade on Saturday night, and met Will, the lead singer, afterwards. I told him that one of my zines is named after their song 'Queenie' and he was DELIGHTED by this! He was grinning and flailing and asking if he could have a copy (sadly I didn't have any left, but amma send him a copy of the next one). Awww. Such a nice man! I'm very glad he approves :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service