We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hello!
I'm wondering if there is a list, somewhere, with all the titles of current zines. I am in the process of making my own perzine & have a couple different titles in mind, but I don't want to use something that is already being used. I'm thinking of "Creepy Dolls" or "Spaz Attack" or "Nervous Breakdown"
maybe there is a site, or two, with current zine titles?
any help would be appreciated!
-Jenny

Tags: no-name, perzine, title, where, zine

Views: 504

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember someone asking this same questions a while back...somewhere. Not here, as far as I remember. I don't think there is any sort of registry of zine or any sort of master list. Not that I know of anyway. I don't think there is any way to be sure that you don't use a title that is already in current use.

Here are some ideas though:

Post the titles you are thinking about using on We Make Zines and ask folks to let you know if they know of zines by that name.

Look through the last three or four copies of Zine World and Xerography Debt to see if your titles of choice are connected to zines that have been reviewed in those publications.

Do a Google (or whatever search engine you like) search for those titles.

Just use the titles you like and wait to see if anyone accuses you of stealing their idea.
thanks, Chantel, I added what titles I'm thinking of to the discussion.

Chantel G. said:
I remember someone asking this same questions a while back...somewhere. Not here, as far as I remember. I don't think there is any sort of registry of zine or any sort of master list. Not that I know of anyway. I don't think there is any way to be sure that you don't use a title that is already in current use.

Here are some ideas though:

Post the titles you are thinking about using on We Make Zines and ask folks to let you know if they know of zines by that name.

Look through the last three or four copies of Zine World and Xerography Debt to see if your titles of choice are connected to zines that have been reviewed in those publications.

Do a Google (or whatever search engine you like) search for those titles.

Just use the titles you like and wait to see if anyone accuses you of stealing their idea.
i had been using monstress for years before i found out that there was another monstress by erica vonderheid. that's what i get for being caught up in my local scene. i thought about changing the name and decided against it. i wouldn't be surprised to discover there are many, many other monstresses. if you do choose a name and worst comes to worst, then you can direct people to the other or other zines and everybody wins.
I have a list of current zines (dark ones) on my List of Dark Zines page. These are zines that accept submissions. You can find the list on The Horror Zine at http://www.thehorrorzine.com
Jeani Rector
I would do a search on Zinewiki.com that'd probably be one of the easiest ways to check out some of the titles. That is, if someone has entered them into the wiki.
You could also do a search on the Queer Zine Archive Project website.

NicoleIntrovert said:
I would do a search on Zinewiki.com that'd probably be one of the easiest ways to check out some of the titles. That is, if someone has entered them into the wiki.
I remember a zine titled "Nervous Breakdown" from about 25 years ago, maybe more, but the others I don't recall ever seeing in print. I do like the title "Creepy Dolls" though!

I've started working on my first perzine too. I'm still gonna put out Film Geek, but I want to write about something other than film for a change. I've even come up with the title (and I don't think or care if it's been used before), "The Tumultuous Times". I'm sure it will end up being an endless stream of my insane ramblings that people seem to find entertaining...
yeah, i think i'm going to go with "creepy dolls" & feature differnent creepy dolls on the cover (crediting the photographer, of course) Alan, let me know when & where your zine will be ready.

W. Alan Fare said:
I remember a zine titled "Nervous Breakdown" from about 25 years ago, maybe more, but the others I don't recall ever seeing in print. I do like the title "Creepy Dolls" though!

I've started working on my first perzine too. I'm still gonna put out Film Geek, but I want to write about something other than film for a change. I've even come up with the title (and I don't think or care if it's been used before), "The Tumultuous Times". I'm sure it will end up being an endless stream of my insane ramblings that people seem to find entertaining...
i think my cousin has this old english doll (or at least it looks like one). she tried to scare me once by putting it in my closet XD. i can send you a pic if you want. OR we have a lof ot manequins in the lab that has random amputations or wounds, etc (we use them to practice)...

Jenny Archibald said:
yeah, i think i'm going to go with "creepy dolls" & feature differnent creepy dolls on the cover (crediting the photographer, of course) Alan, let me know when & where your zine will be ready.

W. Alan Fare said:

to practice what????
I so need maniquin hands... got any of those kicking around?

I Am said:
i think my cousin has this old english doll (or at least it looks like one). she tried to scare me once by putting it in my closet XD. i can send you a pic if you want. OR we have a lof ot manequins in the lab that has random amputations or wounds, etc (we use them to practice)...

Jenny Archibald said:

W. Alan Fare said:

When I was in 5th grade, I went on a Girl Scout field trip to this creepy doll museum. It wasn't an official, publicly funded museum, but a museum in a small building in a lady's backyard. This woman collected dolls and sometimes let people (like innocent, impressionable Girl Scouts) come to her place and look at the dolls. I was totally freaked out and scared. I even wrote a story based on the museum. In the story, the dolls CAME TO LIFE and attacked a girl who was in the museum when she shouldn't have been. Alas, I am pretty sure I tossed out this story years ago when I was too embarrassed by what my 5th grade self had written.

But "Creepy Dolls" is a great name for a zine! I've never heard of a zine by that name (not that I'm any sort of expert)...
toys always photograph well. i have a friend who does a zine called misfit toy and he always has a different toy on the cover. the furby was especially disturbing.

Jenny Archibald said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service