We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's your zine called? Where did the name come from?

Views: 2627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the greatest of heights
which is a line from a poem by fiona apple. it's actually the title of her second LP. i just think the poem is beautiful, and that line really stands out to me. google it if you've never read it.
MUSE OF FIRE.....................henry V

HER NINE YAKKING DAUGHTERS....made up...early 90's....kids of zeus/mnemosyne*

*also made up the mnemonic device to know the 9 girls...: ump, ump, etc.

:):)
mine's "monstress." i got it from a shadow puppet play. at the same time the hero (arjuna) was hooking up with his special lady (supraba), everything in the universe hooked up too, including "the lion and the lioness" and "the monster and the monstress." it was really sweet. it also helps me deal with my general dislike of the suffix, "-ess."
Yeah, sincerely, I can't even really say I grew out of it

Warren Piece said:
EDIT: the following is addressed to "Hali", not to ratboy, who wrote the post above this one.

I'm inclined to make fun of your gibberish, but you know what? I get you. I did the i ching and the runes for awhile, because prozac was expensive or unavailable and my only provisions were meditation and short draughts of vodka once a week or less. A bad time. In times like these you go to the oracle, and when you go to the oracle, with sincerity and desperation both, the oracle will tell you the truth.

And while I know the truth, I can't tell it or see it again. It's more slippery than trout, more transient than youth, bigger than a bread box, beautiful as a young girl's tit...you've heard the drill.

I had it. I lost it...

Hali said:
Fatalist Palmistry...
i have spent many nights sitting in front of candles organized by color placed in certain directions, black for purity and red for love, lit up and slowly healing my faults.. 12, 13 years old, sitting in my backyard in the early hours of the morning when the full moon is still visible, getting in touch with the world by storybook means... holding friends dry, or oily, or hands and tracing them with a finger. shortened to "faepalm"
My zine, Introvert, i guess is pretty self explanitory. I am an extreme introvert. That is, most of the time. Of course, if you ever meet me at a zine event, you will think the complete opposite. That is only because i am in my element and I could run my mouth about things that are important forever. Small talk and people who don't understand who i am and what i am about make me horridly anxious.
Amber / Culture Slut said:
Maranda Elizabeth said:
Haha, awesome! I've only had, like, one or two people in all these years ask me if it had anything to do with T.Rex!

Same goes with Culture Slut, it's very rare that people catch the reference.

amber, manics was actually the first thing i thought of when i heard the name of your zine. then again, i am a recovering manics fan.. but for some reason i thought, "nah, it must be something else.." silly me.

my zine's called YOUR PRETTY FACE IS GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL, and it's named after an iggy & the stooges song with an added 'straigh'. it was originally just a temporary one off name for #1 which was a 24h zine, but when i finished #2 (which i'd already been writing for almost a year when making #1) i couldn't come up with anything 'better', so it stuck. and i like it. i've had one person recognise it so far, and another person asked me if it had anything to do with the finnish lovemetal band HIM because the singer used to wear a jacket on stage with your pretty face is going to hell written on the back. i think i read somewhere ages ago that he's a fan of the stooges / iggy pop though, so its not that far off. ha.
i've also done art zines with my boyfriend, carl. one of them was called FRAGILE cos we'd covered the cover in fragile tape (clever, aye?) and the other was called YES DARLING BUT IS IT ART.. OR ARSE? after a television personalities album (yes darling, but is it art?) and 'art or arse' by billy childish, local artist/musician who lived few houses down from where i lived back then. there was even a dream about him in the zine.. me and carl also have a distro that's still getting started, and it's called VAMPIRE SUSHI after an old time relijun song. we just like the sound of it. i'm also working on a cooking zine called THE QUEEN IS FED, which is a pun on the smiths song/album, the queen is dead.

basicly, i/we like to name stuff after songs.
Since 2005, I've been publishing the title SYNDICATE PRODUCT. The title comes from the original name of what became K-Tel Records. As a child of the 70s and a teen of the 80s, I fondly remember those commercials for K-Tel collections, with 24 great hit songs packed onto one album!

From 1998 to 2004, the zine was called LOW HUG, inspired by this famous photo of Sammy Davis Jr. embracing Richard Nixon at the 1972 convention. Unfortunately, it got mistaken for a sex zine quite a lot.

The one shots I've done have been things like LAUNDRY BASKET (about doing the wash); POTLUCK (about cooking); and 12 ITEMS OR LESS (about grocery shopping).
my first zine project was called "Childlike Empress" because when i started writing it, i surveyed my livejournal friends looking for a good title, cause "ladybug" and "zaftig" were already taken by other zines and mainstream publications - i was frustrated and posted, "c'mon people, its like the childlike empress in the neverending story - IT NEEDS A NAME" and then someone was like...then call it THAT. plus as a personal/pop culture zine, it kinda fit to describes who i am and what i was trying to express at the time.

the current project or at least the last published zine was Annus Horriblis which is latin for 'horrible year' which is perfect for a comp zine about the worse year of one's life. i took that term from a quote from Queen Elizabeth's speech in 1992 when she recalled how crappy her family's troubles were. again...it fit.

the other titles i've had dont have interesting stories.
My zine is called Ordinary. It comes from reading a Raymond Williams essay, "Culture is Ordinary" in which he writes about where culture comes from and exists aside from museums and galleries. I take poetry, fiction, non-fiction, essays, black and white art. Submission guidelines can be found at ordinaryzine.blogspot.com

my zine's called YOUR PRETTY FACE IS GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL, and it's named after an iggy & the stooges song with an added 'straigh'. it was originally just a temporary one off name for #1 which was a 24h zine, but when i finished #2 (which i'd already been writing for almost a year when making #1) i couldn't come up with anything 'better', so it stuck. and i like it. i've had one person recognise it so far, and another person asked me if it had anything to do with the finnish lovemetal band HIM because the singer used to wear a jacket on stage with your pretty face is going to hell written on the back. i think i read somewhere ages ago that he's a fan of the stooges / iggy pop though, so its not that far off. ha.
i've also done art zines with my boyfriend, carl. one of them was called FRAGILE cos we'd covered the cover in fragile tape (clever, aye?) and the other was called YES DARLING BUT IS IT ART.. OR ARSE? after a television personalities album (yes darling, but is it art?) and 'art or arse' by billy childish, local artist/musician who lived few houses down from where i lived back then.

There's a Comet Gain song too with the line "You're pretty face is going straight to hell." I can't remember what song righ tnow (I've been up since 4am and am listening to some weird german cover of a Chumbawamba song) but it's on the Realistes album.
ray k said:

i've also done art zines with my boyfriend, carl. one of them was called FRAGILE cos we'd covered the cover in fragile tape (clever, aye?) and the other was called YES DARLING BUT IS IT ART.. OR ARSE? after a television personalities album (yes darling, but is it art?) and 'art or arse' by billy childish, local artist/musician who lived few houses down from where i lived back then.

There's a Comet Gain song too with the line "You're pretty face is going straight to hell." I can't remember what song righ tnow (I've been up since 4am and am listening to some weird german cover of a Chumbawamba song) but it's on the Realistes album.

oh yes! that's why i try to look so bad, and its actually my pretty face.. that's one of my favourite songs, i might have had that subconciously in my mind, cos i'm actually not THAT in love on the stooges song, i mostly just really like the name.
miss tukru obscene said: oh yes! that's why i try to look so bad, and its actually my pretty face.. that's one of my favourite songs, i might have had that subconciously in my mind, cos i'm actually not THAT in love on the stooges song, i mostly just really like the name.

Is it? I lose Comet Gain points :-(

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service