We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's your zine called? Where did the name come from?

Views: 3003

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Telegram Ma'am - I was listening to Telegram Sam by T.Rex.

Edith - the name of the main character in my favourite childhood book.

Little Acorns - named after a song by The White Stripes.
you have a zine named little acorns?? that is my screen name named after the same song!! everyone always asks me about it and gives me weird looks when i give it out to them haha

Maranda Elizabeth said:

Haha, awesome! I've only had, like, one or two people in all these years ask me if it had anything to do with T.Rex!

Clementine Cannibal said:
my sister is a big t-rex fan and she was like: do you think telegram ma'am has anything to do with telegram sam?
mystery solved!
Haha! It's one of my favourite songs everever. Little Acorns saved my life!

KellyRose-Pulse Zine said:
you have a zine named little acorns?? that is my screen name named after the same song!! everyone always asks me about it and gives me weird looks when i give it out to them haha

Maranda Elizabeth said:

Fatalist Palmistry...

i have spent many nights sitting in front of candles organized by color placed in certain directions, black for purity and red for love, lit up and slowly healing my faults.. 12, 13 years old, sitting in my backyard in the early hours of the morning when the full moon is still visible, getting in touch with the world by storybook means... holding friends dry, or oily, or hands and tracing them with a finger.

shortened to "faepalm"
mine too!!!

Maranda Elizabeth said:
Haha! It's one of my favourite songs everever. Little Acorns saved my life!

KellyRose-Pulse Zine said:

Maranda Elizabeth said:

it is beautiful.

Clementine Cannibal said:
licking stars off ceilings
(because i think its beautiful)
My first real zine was called Grate Apes, probably because Will Self's Great Apes was about the only novel I'd read by this point.

City Sacker got its name from apassage in On The Nature of The Universe by Lucretius (De Rerum Natura). I appreciate this may sound incredibly pretentious but it is nevertheless true. It's from a passage about superstition vs science. Originally this zine was poems and drawings back in 2001. I resurected the name last year because I couldn't think of anything else. At least there's no bloody poetry in it nowdays (and few drawings).

Optical Devices is my little RANT zine. I took the name from the song "Black hair and glasses brigade" by MJ Hibbett and the Validators for no reason other than I liked the sound of it.

My new *proper* zine which would be fnished soon if I could afford to print it doesn't have a name for definite yet. I've been thinking either Bite Your Lip or Specs Akimbo. Any of thoughts on this quandry will be greatly received :-)
Haiku a Day was named so because that's what it is.

Late Night Thinking was named so in homage to all the nights I've had where my friends and I discuss life, the universe and everything over coffee at some greasy spoon.
My Zine is Cuddle Puddles and Hot Pants- because cuddle puddles and hot pants are 2 of my favorite things. Also, my zine is often pretty political, so I thought it was nice to balance out the seriousness with a bit of sillyness. Reflects my personality, both serious and silly.
My zine is Miranda.

First I thought I would name the protagonist of my novel Miranda, which has always been one of my favorite names. But I realized that I'm an essayist, not a novelist. Then I thought I'd name a daughter Miranda. But I had boys. So used the name for my zine.

Because the name doesn't reveal anything about the content of my zine, I added a subtitle, motherhood and other adventures
All my zines have been one offs so far.

One of them doesn't even have a name. I call it "Russia zine" in my mind. But the cover is just a photocopy of a Canadian passport, so when it was put into a library it's name is "Canada Passport - Passeport" if you look it up. Which I thought was funny.

The Food Not Bombs cooking zines I edited/made is a flip zine called "Sugar and Snails" or "Slugs and Spice" depending on what side you look at. I really like those titles. They come from the nursery rhyme: "Sugar and spice and everything nice, that's what little girls are made of. Slugs and snails and puppy dog tails, that's why little boys are made of."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service