We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's your zine called? Where did the name come from?

Views: 2862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I write a perzine called 'Cats Teeth'. It's from a poem/rant I wrote about a friend where I described him as "pillaged remains; bare bones, cats teeth, a trinket". It stuck in my head and I like Cats, and I 'teeth' remind me of Vagina Dentata, and both things represent femininity and the night-time realm to me.

I also began a philosophical/anti-civilisation zine called 'Absent Present' which got its name from a conversation I had with a friend who was an art teacher, she was trying to explain to me the concept of the absent presence in art. But I also liked the play on words and it linked to the idea that our modern era, our 'present' is sort of dead and meaningless i.e. absent.
mine is called Entes Anomicos and means people without control.It cames after saw a book called "sociedad anomica "(society without control) and was about the different kinds of political systems (capitalismus,socialimus etc)
"We Are Sharks"

comes from a quote by the musician Ryan Bingham.
Mine is called "Lights Go Out" from a Strike Anywhere song.

check it out - www.lightsgoout.co.uk
6 issues out at the moment.
Aina Adolescenta Kakumei [translated to Always Adolescent Revolution], which me and my friend created. It kind of just came to us after a bunch of brainstorming and looking over our influences.
Mine is called Carpe Noctem: Tales from the Dreamside. Carpe Noctem is latin for "seize the night". It turned out there was already a goth publication by that name, so I added the subtitle "Tales from the Dreamside" to make it a little different. I like "Carpe Noctem" too much to change that part. :)
Entes Anomicos (persons without control) the name came after i read about different kinds of political systems.The name of the book is :Sociedad Anomica (sociaty without control) and i just adapted the name to the concept i was working with the zine idea.
"A guide to blissful solitude"
when i started it, 3 issues back, last summer, i thought it would mean the world to spread some cheer, but turns out that i was really still trying to figure out meanings for my own existence. so really, the 'guide' made me realized im still fucked up, so the whole thing's pretty ironic. haha
Sure, I'd love to. Once I get this new issue finished I'll give you my information.

kitty magic said:
this sounds awesome! like Teenage Riot or something! we could trade if u like?

Chris Rose Taylor said:
Aina Adolescenta Kakumei [translated to Always Adolescent Revolution], which me and my friend created. It kind of just came to us after a bunch of brainstorming and looking over our influences.
Nielzine: I bastardized my last name one night while sitting on the toilet and thought it was the funniest thing in the world...I was the only one who laughed.
My zine, Midnight Party Glitterati was at first a joke band name that just came to me. I say joke band because none of my friends played any instruments whatsoever, but the name got some use after all :)
my perzine- somewhere over the rainbow. because when i started it, i was doing a lot of grass is greener thinking.
my compzine- chintz. because we wanted to make something like nylonmag, but uglier, rougher, cheaper, less hip. chintz is cheap granny tablecloth fabric. my mom came up with it. perfect fit.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service