We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What's your zine called? Where did the name come from?

Views: 2634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

gut feeling.
its an amazing devo song.
you've got a friend in pennsylvania was the slogan of PA liscense plates between 1984 and 1987, when i was born.

hoax was derivative of an essay by the amazing feminist philopher and writer donna haraway, who said the word was "an invitation to find the flaw in an apparent natural truth". as the co-editor and i saw it, feminism is essentially challenging 'natural truths' about gender, sex, race, sexuality and just about everything else.
I write a perzine called 'Cats Teeth'. It's from a poem/rant I wrote about a friend where I described him as "pillaged remains; bare bones, cats teeth, a trinket". It stuck in my head and I like Cats, and I 'teeth' remind me of Vagina Dentata, and both things represent femininity and the night-time realm to me.

I also began a philosophical/anti-civilisation zine called 'Absent Present' which got its name from a conversation I had with a friend who was an art teacher, she was trying to explain to me the concept of the absent presence in art. But I also liked the play on words and it linked to the idea that our modern era, our 'present' is sort of dead and meaningless i.e. absent.
mine is called Entes Anomicos and means people without control.It cames after saw a book called "sociedad anomica "(society without control) and was about the different kinds of political systems (capitalismus,socialimus etc)
"We Are Sharks"

comes from a quote by the musician Ryan Bingham.
Mine is called "Lights Go Out" from a Strike Anywhere song.

check it out - www.lightsgoout.co.uk
6 issues out at the moment.
Aina Adolescenta Kakumei [translated to Always Adolescent Revolution], which me and my friend created. It kind of just came to us after a bunch of brainstorming and looking over our influences.
Mine is called Carpe Noctem: Tales from the Dreamside. Carpe Noctem is latin for "seize the night". It turned out there was already a goth publication by that name, so I added the subtitle "Tales from the Dreamside" to make it a little different. I like "Carpe Noctem" too much to change that part. :)
Entes Anomicos (persons without control) the name came after i read about different kinds of political systems.The name of the book is :Sociedad Anomica (sociaty without control) and i just adapted the name to the concept i was working with the zine idea.
"A guide to blissful solitude"
when i started it, 3 issues back, last summer, i thought it would mean the world to spread some cheer, but turns out that i was really still trying to figure out meanings for my own existence. so really, the 'guide' made me realized im still fucked up, so the whole thing's pretty ironic. haha
Sure, I'd love to. Once I get this new issue finished I'll give you my information.

kitty magic said:
this sounds awesome! like Teenage Riot or something! we could trade if u like?

Chris Rose Taylor said:
Aina Adolescenta Kakumei [translated to Always Adolescent Revolution], which me and my friend created. It kind of just came to us after a bunch of brainstorming and looking over our influences.
Nielzine: I bastardized my last name one night while sitting on the toilet and thought it was the funniest thing in the world...I was the only one who laughed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service