We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Zine Events at Collective Gallery, Edinburgh, Scotland

I've recently moved from London to Linlithgow in Scotland, and in settling here I'm keen to get involved in new things. While in Edinburgh today, I passed the Collective Gallery. I wanted to go in, but it's still closed for the Christmas/New Year break. However, in the window I saw info about zine-related events, and I'm keen to get involved - see pics. The website has very little information about them - not that I could find easily, anyway - so I shall just have to go along and see what it's about. :) Anyway - is anyone else around in Edinburgh on a Sunday in January? It'd be nice to have some company and meet new people, so I intend to get along to one or more of these, especially the discussion at the end of the month.

Lee

Views: 53

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lee

Nice to meet another person in Scotland! There doesn't seem to be much of a zine scene up here really, although it seems you've found otherwise - yay. Apparently there was some kind of event here last year (maybe connected with the festival?)

Anyway I just wanted to say hello really, and say that I'd be up for any Scottish zinester gatherings, time/money permitting!
Hannah Faye said:
Hi Lee

Nice to meet another person in Scotland! There doesn't seem to be much of a zine scene up here really, although it seems you've found otherwise - yay. Apparently there was some kind of event here last year (maybe connected with the festival?)

Anyway I just wanted to say hello really, and say that I'd be up for any Scottish zinester gatherings, time/money permitting!

Hello Hannah. :)

I went along to a couple of these events, and the last one, on 31st Jan, turned out to be pretty good. I'd suggest looking into Yuck 'n Yum and the Now Now Project for some good ziney things coming up, and I hope to be involved.

Maybe we'll bump into each other at some point! What zines are you involved in?
Thanks Lee. Good to know there are some events happening up here - so often it seems everything zine related is on the south coast/near London (or just not in the UK at all!)

I have to confess I've never heard of Yuck 'n Yum or the Now Now Project ... forgive my ignorance. Are they places in Edinburgh? Because I only get there 3 times a year (ish) though it's not much hassle to make the journey for a specific event.

What zines are you involved in at the moment? I saw Larry on one of your other posts, it looks great, very stylish. I wrote a few zines which were pretty rubbish and too embarrassing to name in my teens (early 2000s) and I'm currently working on a new zine, called Not Lonely.

Lee Osborne said:
Hannah Faye said:
Hi Lee

Hello Hannah. :)

I went along to a couple of these events, and the last one, on 31st Jan, turned out to be pretty good. I'd suggest looking into Yuck 'n Yum and the Now Now Project for some good ziney things coming up, and I hope to be involved.

Maybe we'll bump into each other at some point! What zines are you involved in?
Yuck 'n Yum are in Dundee, and Now Now are in Glasgow.

My zines are called Journeyman - I've done two issues so far, and I'm working on a third.
Don't know where I got the Larry thing from then, sorry!

Wow, something in Dundee! I've googled Yuck n' Yum (probably should have done that in the first place) and will go and check out the exhibition at the weekend. I'm probably coming across as a total numpty who pays no attention to what's going on around her ... and that would be true. I think I've got so used to thinking "there's nothing on around here" that I don't even bother to look anymore, which is a terribly negative attitude and one I should lose.

Lee Osborne said:
Yuck 'n Yum are in Dundee, and Now Now are in Glasgow.

My zines are called Journeyman - I've done two issues so far, and I'm working on a third.
Cheers Steve. Sounds like there's not a bad amount of stuff going on up here, especially in Edinburgh. Ta for the offer of Roddy's email address too, I might get back in touch about that once my zine's done, if that's okay? It might be ages yet until I actually have produced something (although I hope not!)

SteveLarder said:
A good start to find zine writers in Edinburgh would be the forest cafe, I also have a friend called Nine who I've traded with in the past who lives there. This is here website - http://jinxremoving.org/ and http://www.theforest.org.uk.

There's a few other Scottish zines kicking around, one of my favourites is 'Ploppy pants' which is a more punk rock music zine. It's made by a chap called Roddy who runs a label called 'Problem? Records'. If you message me I can pass on his e-mail address for you if you want? I would imagine he might have a few contacts...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service