We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Zine event organizers unconference (we really need a better name for this)

There seemed to be a lot of zine fest organizers at the Portland Zine Symposium this year and some of us go to talking. We all all have a lot of information to share with each other so why not have our own fest/unconference/convention? There is a possibility that this might happy around the Chicago Zine Fest. I have two questions:
1. Who would be interested in such an event?

2. What sorts of things would you like to see discussed at this event?

Some things I have kicking around my head:
How each event got started
Finding a place
organizational structures
funding
advertising (in your town and outside of it)
?

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All,
Luke from the zine store Sticky in Melbourne, Australia here. We run a month long zine festival every second February called 'The Festival of the Photocopier'. We would have plenty to add to the discussion and would love to take part from a distance. Luke/Sticky.
We could have a skype chat!

Sticky Institute said:
Hi All,
Luke from the zine store Sticky in Melbourne, Australia here. We run a month long zine festival every second February called 'The Festival of the Photocopier'. We would have plenty to add to the discussion and would love to take part from a distance. Luke/Sticky.
I attended the zine librarian (un) conference in Seattle in 2009 but I'm not completely sure how it was organized. It seems that people prepared workshops on topics they would like to discuss and when we got to the (un)conference there was time for everyone to talk together and also time to break into workshop groups to talk about specific things. i think something like that could work for this if we only had a space for it.
would everyone want this to be during the actual fest or a day before or after it? we're currently talking about having the fest events on a friday evening and a saturday. we will probably have room to hold it on site if we did it saturday, or during the day on friday as a pre-fest event. or we could find another space to have it on sunday?

if we all decide what's needed, we have time to find a space for the event.

Alex Wrekk said:
I attended the zine librarian (un) conference in Seattle in 2009 but I'm not completely sure how it was organized. It seems that people prepared workshops on topics they would like to discuss and when we got to the (un)conference there was time for everyone to talk together and also time to break into workshop groups to talk about specific things. i think something like that could work for this if we only had a space for it.
I would like to see it the day before or after. (probably after so the Chicago ZF folks could attend). During the fest would be kind of tricky since this could easily be a full day of discussion and workshops.

ramsey everydaypants said:
would everyone want this to be during the actual fest or a day before or after it? we're currently talking about having the fest events on a friday evening and a saturday. we will probably have room to hold it on site if we did it saturday, or during the day on friday as a pre-fest event. or we could find another space to have it on sunday?

if we all decide what's needed, we have time to find a space for the event.

Alex Wrekk said:

Dan C said:
As for a name, I suggest "Zine Fest Fest," with an accompanying zine, "Zine Fest Fest Zine."

i second that emotion
I've talked with Ramsey about moving this discussion into a group here on WMZs.
Here's a link to the group:
http://wemakezines.ning.com/group/xfest
i've called it "X Fest" until we decide a name.
i'll be working on organizing the discussion points in the coming days!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service