We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

While thinking of ways to make life more interesting, I thought maybe I'd start a book club.  And then I thought... what about a zine club?

Anyone tried this?  Think it could work?  I figured with how busy people are nowadays, maybe people would be more interested in a zine club.  It's much easier to sit down and read a zine than a whole novel.  And I find sometimes they're easier to talk about.  Do you think it's a good idea?

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's really interesting. but that means getting a zine together, am I right? (I'm sorry, I don't really know much about book clubs)

count me in if you're starting one (:
Well, the usual book club idea is a group of people read the same book and then they get together to discuss the book. But the typical book club goers around my town are older people since it's something you need time for. I thought with a zine club, with a zine being shorter and easier to read on the go, busy people could have time for it. So that's more what I was thinking. It could definitely involve making zines, too, though, I'm all for that.

rieka said:
I think it's really interesting. but that means getting a zine together, am I right? (I'm sorry, I don't really know much about book clubs)

count me in if you're starting one (:
Oo! Sounds interesting. How would the zine be chosen?
yeah, it sounds neat. I can never read the books fast enough for a book club, so a zine club would be better in that regard. But, it would mean everyone would need to get a copy of the same zine, which may be hard. With books you can get them a the library.

It would be really good for people who write zines, to see what other people have to say about what works in a zine and what doesn't

A blog I read does a cookbook club. Where they choose a cookbook, they let each other know what they are going to meet and then they meet up every couple of months and bring the dishes, so they get to review the cookbook and the food at once. I think this is a neat idea. You could do that with zines, too. Lots of cookbook zines. Or you do a general DIY zine how-to club. And people would bring the projects they make....I am totally procrastinating from working on my zine by telling you all this stuff. Okay gotta go. :-)
Ahaha. No procrastinating! I love the cookbook idea.

I was thinking either there could be a couple copies being passed around if it was a small group, or since zines are so much cheaper than books, one person could order a bunch from a distro and everyone could just pay the $2 or whatever.

Basically, I just want to have some sort of zine club. I'm rarely available for open hours or events at the local zine library, despite living right beside it, so I feel left out. I've been thinking about this for a while. I thought repeatedly about just putting fliers up this summer inviting people to my yard to work on zines for the afternoon, but I always chickened out.

Krissy PonyBoy Press said:
yeah, it sounds neat. I can never read the books fast enough for a book club, so a zine club would be better in that regard. But, it would mean everyone would need to get a copy of the same zine, which may be hard. With books you can get them a the library.

It would be really good for people who write zines, to see what other people have to say about what works in a zine and what doesn't

A blog I read does a cookbook club. Where they choose a cookbook, they let each other know what they are going to meet and then they meet up every couple of months and bring the dishes, so they get to review the cookbook and the food at once. I think this is a neat idea. You could do that with zines, too. Lots of cookbook zines. Or you do a general DIY zine how-to club. And people would bring the projects they make....I am totally procrastinating from working on my zine by telling you all this stuff. Okay gotta go. :-)
I love the idea (: I am excited if this plan goes through ^^
I love this idea :D
Oh, I didn't already say this but count me in.
I love this idea! Count me in!
lol@Krissy

Well, two questions. is this a real life club, as in people of the same city meet in person to talk? or we could discuss online? if it's an online thing, I am way into that idea. WAY into it. ha. we could chat here. i've only used the chat feature of WMZ once. it should be utilized.

the other question, i guess isn't a question. but yeah, might be a bit tough to get the same zine into everyone's hand, but that will be part of the challenge.

Ok, river child, this is your idea! you're the president, make it happen! pick our first zine and tell us how to get it! we should have like 2 weeks. (one week to obtain the zine, one week to read it?) or maybe 3 weeks? depends on the zine and how hard it is to get. then someone else can pick out our next one. we should just rotate on who picks the zine.

cool! exciting!
Woah, guys, ahaha. I love your enthusiasm. I was thinking a real life club, but online sounds cool, too! Let me think about the logistics a bit more. Maybe I could have a real life club and an online one kind of doing the same thing.

Billy Da Bunny said:
lol@Krissy

Well, two questions. is this a real life club, as in people of the same city meet in person to talk? or we could discuss online? if it's an online thing, I am way into that idea. WAY into it. ha. we could chat here. i've only used the chat feature of WMZ once. it should be utilized.

the other question, i guess isn't a question. but yeah, might be a bit tough to get the same zine into everyone's hand, but that will be part of the challenge.

Ok, river child, this is your idea! you're the president, make it happen! pick our first zine and tell us how to get it! we should have like 2 weeks. (one week to obtain the zine, one week to read it?) or maybe 3 weeks? depends on the zine and how hard it is to get. then someone else can pick out our next one. we should just rotate on who picks the zine.

cool! exciting!
My sister and I tried to do this in Portland but no one signed up. We even picked out what zine would be read and were going to contact the authors to try to buy in bulk and get them at wholesale rates.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service