We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Your Thoughts About Christians and the Christian Faith

Hi, I just joined We Make Zines a few days ago...I've been making zines for about 17 years. I am a Christian and wonder why more Christians don't use this medium. I am also kind of a square peg in a round hole in the Christian world for a lot of reasons, and I often wonder what non-Christians think about Christians/Christianity and why, and am considering making a zine about that. Would you share with me any stereotypes of/experiences with/thoughts about Christians themselves and/or the Christian faith in particular? I am not going to debate anyone, so don't worry about being negative...I am really just interested to know what kind of impression Christians/Christianity have/has on non-Christians, and zine writers are great at sharing their opinions ;-) Thanks!

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Rebel Grrl Zine: The Anti-Church Issue is going in for printing next week. Just a FYI!
Ha ha ha!
I cant even start to get into the abortion issue or Ill be ranting all day! YOUR body YOUR choice. End of!

Mulnix said:
Well, abortion's in the hiz-ouse (as the saying goes). This thread will be up to 1500 responses by Friday.

I'm trying to get more mail and I think I've found the way. My next zine will be called The Enthusiastic Christian Abortionist Quarterly.

lol...
yeah, same. with some issues, no matter how many "I feels" or "for mes" you throw in there, someone's going to take offense. and hey, it's a controversial and touchy issue, I get it. I just wish it hadn't even been brought up, I think this thread was controversial enough :P

Samantha Blythe said:
If I have anything to say about this as the original poster, I would love it if this does not take a turn into an abortion debate. I wish I hadn't even put my very brief comment into the mix.
ahahaha.
oh gosh.
Jesus could have been blue for all I'd care.

Adam Icarus said:
Not yet, it wasn't. I'm going to throw in this little gem:

Why the fuck do modern Christians think Jesus was a white guy? How does that make sense? The mother fucker was from the middle east.

star blanket river child said:
yeah, same. with some issues, no matter how many "I feels" or "for mes" you throw in there, someone's going to take offense. and hey, it's a controversial and touchy issue, I get it. I just wish it hadn't even been brought up, I think this thread was controversial enough :P

Adam, I think this is one reason a lot of Christians think that it violates the second commandment to have actual visual portrayals of Christ - I never have, but your comment is making me rethink it. If something causes you to remake God in your own image, you are committing a grave idolatry. There is no description of Jesus in the Scriptures, except for a prophecy in the Old Testament which basically says (in the vernacular) He won't be much to look at. As long as He was human, kept the law, died and took God's wrath for sin, and rose again, it doesn't matter if he looked like an Arab, a Jew an American black or whatever. It's likely he looked like the Jews of that time, but we can't be sure and it makes no difference.
star blanket river child said:
hey. I did speak for myself. I said, "I am against abortion for MYSELF, but other women can do what they please."

You also said:

I think unless you've been raped, you're 12, or the baby is going to die anyway/harm you, then you should handle it in an adult and responsible way which, to me, doesn't just mean getting it sucked out of you.

It's this statement I'm saying is complete bullshit, you went from talking about what's right for you to condemning everyone that has an abortion. You are absolutely incorrect in assuming that choosing to have an abortion isn't a very adult and responsible decision. I can tell you from personal experience that you are absolutely wrong.

Abortion does have to do with this debate as an example of how Christians interfere in the lives of others. It's an issue where a Christian-based movement is trying through both harassment and legal means to assert their religious-based opinions over the rest of society. Much like stem-cell research and gay marriage. If it were Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Mormons or Satanists trying to push their religious positions on issues through government upon all of us, people would be up in arms, but when it's the majority religion, somehow it's more acceptable.
Samantha Blythe said:
The fact is that there ARE non-Christians who oppose abortion from a libertarian and/or scientific perspective.

Very very few. The number of scientists that believe in the Creation Myth or don't support the right to choose is minimal. And I'm pretty Libertarian and read a lot of Libertarian blogs and forums, most Libertarians are very against having the government have control over what medical procedures we can and can't have. It's a fairly fringe Christian-based group of Libertarians that are against abortion, and frankly, everyone thinks they are complete nutjobs (and in the Libertarian community, that's saying something!).
Just because people are considered nutjobs, even by a majority, does not make them wrong!
Samantha Blythe said:
Just because people are considered nutjobs, even by a majority, does not make them wrong!

Correct in some cases. But trying to force religious-based views through big government upon everyone makes them not really Libertarians, hence why people think they are idiots. It's like they are Libertarians, except when big government is pushing their moral agenda, which just doesn't pass the logical test and most people would consider it hypocritical.
Did you just say Glenn Beck?

Dan 10things said:
Samantha Blythe said:

Correct in some cases. But trying to force religious-based views through big government upon everyone makes them not really Libertarians, hence why people think they are idiots. It's like they are Libertarians, except when big government is pushing their moral agenda, which just doesn't pass the logical test and most people would consider it hypocritical.
Agree about what a libertarian is. The only thing a libertarian who is not a complete anarchist (or voluntaryist) thinks government should do is make laws protecting people's life, liberty and property - the question about abortion is whether carrying the pregnancy is an infringement on the woman's liberty or allowing abortion is infringing on a right to life.
right zac...
i ignored 'em after 1st round...

people pummelling the area...then
drifting away

no light...ever...just tons o' usless smoke

they are not discussing Christian(s)/Christianity @ all!

hope you are feeling super-duper....that's REALLY IMPORTANT!!!
see ya later ol' pal..........!!

I'm Not Lion / Zacery said:
Argh! Stop having this conversation please. Nobody's views are going to change, it's a waste of time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service