We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Your Thoughts About Christians and the Christian Faith

Hi, I just joined We Make Zines a few days ago...I've been making zines for about 17 years. I am a Christian and wonder why more Christians don't use this medium. I am also kind of a square peg in a round hole in the Christian world for a lot of reasons, and I often wonder what non-Christians think about Christians/Christianity and why, and am considering making a zine about that. Would you share with me any stereotypes of/experiences with/thoughts about Christians themselves and/or the Christian faith in particular? I am not going to debate anyone, so don't worry about being negative...I am really just interested to know what kind of impression Christians/Christianity have/has on non-Christians, and zine writers are great at sharing their opinions ;-) Thanks!

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you are soooooooooooo
right meaghan...
far too political...folks just
pummel the AREA without
ever getting to 1st base...
then drift
away...that is what will happen
here...:)

you are also right..God is Love...so don't worry 'bout what
anybody else says...it does not matter @ all!
HONEST INJUN!!
God Bless You...:)

Meaghan Schaible said:
I am a Christian and I have thrown ideas around about writing about faith but as you have noticed, the subject is very political. I tried writing about sin and how God is still going to love you no matter what, but I didn't get very far. What I have noticed though by defending the Christian faith, is that people are often confused about scripture. Scripture is often taken out of centext and therefore people become confused. Often times feeling anger and hatred toward Christianity. I don't know, it's been tough.

Also, there is a miscoception (I feel) that Christians force their religion on everyone. Yes, there are some radicals out there that will shove it down your throat and annoy the heck out of you but not all Christians are that way. Here's an analogy:

The force feeders are almost like a water gun, drowning you with uncomprehedible information. Whereas you should just be handed a glass of water to take a sip from time to time. (if that makes any sense?) Lol.

Anyway, it's a very political subject that I have a hard time writing about.
But even the divinity of Jesus and the existence of The Trinity were basically up in the air and became a compromise put to vote by white dudes with power sometime in the 300's CE. There were early Christian sects who saw the death of Jesus as symbolic and not literal. But we don't hear much about them or the Gospel of Thomas or Mary for that matter for the same reasons of politics and power.

I guess I would say at the heart of it that a Christian believes that Jesus was a person that existed, was the son of the Judaeo God, is their personal savior and ticket to everlasting life, believes that New Testament of the bible is the story of his life, that he died and rose again and will come again. You can decorate that Christmas tree with what ever sect or denomination you would like.

Dan 10things said:
Samantha Blythe said:
Another question for you all...what do you think Christianity is? What do you have to do or believe to be a Christian?

A belief that Jesus Christ existed, was the son of God, God himself, and savior of humanity, and that the stories in the new testament are the sacred teachings of the life of Jesus that should be followed as the word of God.

Many of the other specifics have changed and evolved over centuries with newer edited versions of the bible and especially since the Protestant Reformation during the 16th Century, which caused an almost continual effect of different Christian sects splintering off of each other with different beliefs. The Bible and Christianity has been in a continual state of evolution for thousands of years even before the supposed birth of Christ.
right on...!

one for the DUDES...hahaha!!

Alex Wrekk said:
But even the divinity of Jesus and the existence of The Trinity were basically up in the air and became a compromise put to vote by white dudes with power sometime in the 300's CE. There were early Christian sects who saw the death of Jesus as symbolic and not literal. But we don't hear much about them or the Gospel of Thomas or Mary for that matter for the same reasons of politics and power.

I guess I would say at the heart of it that a Christian believes that Jesus was a person that existed, was the son of the Judaeo God, is their personal savior and ticket to everlasting life, believes that New Testament of the bible is the story of his life, that he died and rose again and will come again. You can decorate that Christmas tree with what ever sect or denomination you would like.

Dan 10things said:
Samantha Blythe said:
Another question for you all...what do you think Christianity is? What do you have to do or believe to be a Christian?

A belief that Jesus Christ existed, was the son of God, God himself, and savior of humanity, and that the stories in the new testament are the sacred teachings of the life of Jesus that should be followed as the word of God.

Many of the other specifics have changed and evolved over centuries with newer edited versions of the bible and especially since the Protestant Reformation during the 16th Century, which caused an almost continual effect of different Christian sects splintering off of each other with different beliefs. The Bible and Christianity has been in a continual state of evolution for thousands of years even before the supposed birth of Christ.
Actually, I'm interested too, so feel free to cc me on anything you send to her. I'm just curious.

Samantha Blythe said:
Yes, I don't think most zinesters here want to hear about the theological issues involved in that debate ;-) But I'd love to hear your experiences!

Samantha Manchester said:
Anyway, I know that's a leeetle bit off-topic, so: Samantha, are you looking for people to send you essays/rants/thoughts/whatever about their experiences or are you just taking from this thread for your zine? I might be interested in writing something about my experiences with Mormonism, but I suppose this can't be considered relevent unless you believe Mormonism is a form of Christianity, hah. :)

Samantha Blythe said:
Actually, the issue with Mormonism is theology, not moral issues.

Dorian Shaw said:
But a lot of people want to separate the Mormon church because of the issues of polygomy, teenage brides, and abuse that has occured on compounds.
I am also a Christian. I went to a Christian school for 12 years, and really hated it. within the past few years, i've re-committed my life to God and, honestly, wouldn't be here if I hadn't. I haven't written any zines about being a Christian, but I do mention God once in a while. I know what talking about it can "turn people off" & that's definately not what I want to do. I hope that people see something different in me and will, maybe, ask questions.
also, people always have the wrong idea about Christians. Most think that we are judgemental against drinking and tattoos, etc. But that's NOT what we are supposed to be about. We are to love everyone and show God's love to everyone. I have tattoos and ride a motorcycle and I love God!

JennyTheArtist said:
I am also a Christian. I went to a Christian school for 12 years, and really hated it. within the past few years, i've re-committed my life to God and, honestly, wouldn't be here if I hadn't. I haven't written any zines about being a Christian, but I do mention God once in a while. I know what talking about it can "turn people off" & that's definately not what I want to do. I hope that people see something different in me and will, maybe, ask questions.
one more thing... Christianity is all based on FAITH that God exists and that He loves us.

JennyTheArtist said:
also, people always have the wrong idea about Christians. Most think that we are judgemental against drinking and tattoos, etc. But that's NOT what we are supposed to be about. We are to love everyone and show God's love to everyone. I have tattoos and ride a motorcycle and I love God!

JennyTheArtist said:
I drink and curse and have plenty of tattoos, but I'm also a deist. I've studied many religions and I think they do help people, so I don't shun anyone for their beliefs. I accept people for who they are and judge them on their actions. But I'm always willing to forgive those who wrong me if they are willing to make right.

I work very hard on banishing hatred from both my own and anyone else's heart I come in contact with. And anyone who calls themselves a Christian and spreads hateful ideas has a twisted understanding of the word. I have plenty of Christian friends who accept me as a non-believer but know me as someone who always tries to do the right thing. In the end all we do comes back to us as individuals, and we suffer or prosper from our past choices. I don't need religion to make the right decision, but if someone else does I say more power to them!
I don't judge people right away when they say "I am Christian" because I know a lot of Christians who are pretty liberal thinkers - my boyfriend and my best friend, to name a few. But, really, the Bible is sexist and homophobic. You can't deny this - you can't twist the words to say "no, it really means this". I guess my liberal friends just ignore those parts - but I can't call myself Christian and follow the Bible if it says these things. Plus, I don't believe in god. So...yeah, I just can't relate to religion or spirituality, let alone Christianity.
Meaghan Schaible said:
Also, there is a miscoception (I feel) that Christians force their religion on everyone. Yes, there are some radicals out there that will shove it down your throat and annoy the heck out of you but not all Christians are that way.

I don't think it's a few radicals at all. When you look at some pretty big issues like gay marriage, don't ask don't tell in the military, stem cell research and abortion, there are more than just a handful of Christians trying to force the rest of us to live under their religious-backed positions on these issues. Those "defense of marriage" propositions have passed in a lot of states with majority votes and the backers and supporters are Christian, not some radical minority. The anti-abortion movement is almost solely Christian-based, Christians continuously try to make tougher laws to limit a woman's right to choose and have access to safe, private, abortion procedures (the latest being a new law intimidation in Oklahoma where women seeking abortions are to be forced to reveal an array of personal information, such as the state of their relationships, how many children they have and their race, which will be posted on an official public website). Bush's Christian-based stance on stem cell harvesting forced us into a national policy that limited a lot of research funding. There's tons more examples. It's not that Christians are forcing the bible upon us, getting yelled at by the guy with the cross when you walk down the street is no big deal. It's that they are forcing religious positions through our countries' legal and legislative systems upon us, which is much more sinister, unethical, and totally against the ideals this country was founded upon. But since Christians are in the vast majority in the US, this will continue, other religions and non-religious folks will constantly have to deal with faith-based initiatives, positions and laws being forced upon them, even though we supposedly have a separation and church and state in the USA.
Samantha,

I sort of the skimmed the first page of this discussion, but I've been at the library Internet for about an hour and a half and am burning out a little at screen reading.

I'm a RELIGIOUS Theravada Buddhist, and unapologetically so. I correspond and trade zines with Christians and people of all kinds of philosophies and viewpoints. I corresponded with "philosophical Satanist" Jeffrey Deboo for a while (who is virulently anti-Christian). I also traded with and exchanged letters with Idy---Something for Nothing---a few years.

I am not anti-Christian, and I'm certainly not anti-religion, but viscerally, sometimes have some "issues" with Christians. But my better judgement makes me realize I should be fair and not paint with broad brushes.

But as I said, my energy for internetting is flagging at the moment, so if you give me your physical address, I'll send you an essay I wrote for another zine that explores my feelings on Christians. My address is on my profile page.

James
Im a scientist. I am an atheist. It actually makes me pretty sad that people still believe in religion. Saying that I have no problems with anyone beliving is a god/ pixies/ goblins/ whatever as long as they dont push these views onto other people through homophobia, sexism and other descrimination. It should DEFINATELY not be taught in schools and has no place in a science class!! Its not fair to confuse kids with that nonsense! They should be taught the facts not fairy tales!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service