We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Your Thoughts About Christians and the Christian Faith

Hi, I just joined We Make Zines a few days ago...I've been making zines for about 17 years. I am a Christian and wonder why more Christians don't use this medium. I am also kind of a square peg in a round hole in the Christian world for a lot of reasons, and I often wonder what non-Christians think about Christians/Christianity and why, and am considering making a zine about that. Would you share with me any stereotypes of/experiences with/thoughts about Christians themselves and/or the Christian faith in particular? I am not going to debate anyone, so don't worry about being negative...I am really just interested to know what kind of impression Christians/Christianity have/has on non-Christians, and zine writers are great at sharing their opinions ;-) Thanks!

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's funny when Christians try to point out how other Christian religions are so much worse than their own, usually they point to the Mormons and Catholics. I guess it's easy to point out some current creepy behavior and overlook bad behavior in their own religion. From The Crusades to lynchings in the South to the bombing of abortion clinics and the Oklahoma Federal Building, alot of really horrible things have been done in the name of about every sub-faith of Christianity. The saddest part is so many Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. are willing to kill, oppress and die for a god that's completely make believe. I wish people would stop clinging to these outdated cave dwelling beliefs that seem to create a lot of division and war.

Dorian Shaw said:
Agreed-I don't have a problem with say, the catholic church not agreeing with same sex marriage. People can choose another religion if they really desire one that does approve it. Church is not state, and I believe state should definately approve it. Same thing with abortion being legal, stem cell research etc... I am not a supporter of catholic religion either, mostly out of historical context-the prosecution of women (witch hunts), forcing natives into residential schools... that sort of thing. I attempt to be polite when approached by religious groups (I live near jehovah witness, and they always want me to take their booklets). I think a lot of religions are stem from christianity. But a lot of people want to separate the Mormon church because of the issues of polygomy, teenage brides, and abuse that has occured on compounds.
raequel aka systris said:
Apart from that, if someone is a Christian that's their business, go ahead and believe in your Osiris/Mithra retread

One of the interesting things about most Christians is they don't realize the history and evolution of their own religion. The whole story of Christ didn't begin with when he was supposedly born, but was a story told, refined and developed for thousands of years by a number of different religions. That's the fascinating part of religion for me, studying the history of how the stories developed, which religions and ideas prospered, and how much a lot of the modern belief system dates back thousands of years.
Non-Christian perspective: there are real Christians, of the Jim Wallis/Martin Luther King/Helen Prejean type, folks who actually get out there and live Jesus' words about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked and loving your neighbor. They don't try to convert you, but let their lives serve as a testament to their faith. I have a whole lot of respect for those people.

Unfortunately, the very word "Christian" has been co-opted in this country by a bunch of intolerant, xenophobic people who focus their attention on self-righteous condemnation of other and putting the fear of hellfire into their kids. They have a distinct lack of compassion for the "undesirables" their God supposedly hung out with during his time on earth. And unfortunately, it's those "Christians" who get the media and have the power.

It is a shame.
one of the most interesting
things about
non-Christians...
is
that they know absolutely NOTHING about Christians...:)

Dan 10things said:
I was raised Christian and absolutely hated getting forcefed that crap growing up. Some of it was pure torture, from being forced to go to weekend religious retreats to getting hit on by creepy old priests. I'm very atheist. I absolutely hate it when Christians try to force their religious positions on the rest of us through law, especially on issues of banning books, abortion, stem cell research and gay marriage. That said, I know some great people that are Christian, but I still believe their religion is total bullshit, so it's hard to give them respect intellectually.

There have definitely been a few Christian zines and a lot of zines touch on religion. But you have to remember, zines mostly have come from counter-cultures to promote and tackle subjects that aren't represented very well in the mainstream press. Christianity is everywhere in the mainstream press and there are tons and tons of independent Christian magazines. Hence, there's not really a need or audience for Christian zines unless you are pulling in religion to some type of counter-culture, like Christian punk or Christian anarchists or Christian sex workers. All of which might make for an interesting read even for non-Christians... but straight up religion discussions, you can find that anywhere, no need for doing it in a zine.
I'm from the UK- totally different view from over here. Apparently we're one of the most godless countries in the world. The majority of the population would tick none/Church of England as their religion, and it isn't a contradiction in terms at all. The C of E is the state religion in England (Scotland, Wales and NI have got different arrangements), and you kind of become a member by default if you don't have a different religion, but you don't have to believe in anything at all to belong, and they're the most wishy-washy type of christians. The stereotype of the CofE vicar is a mild-mannered guy who hates to contradict people, and is always saying "well... on the one hand....but on the other ....", and who mainly gets the job because they like doing weddings and chatting to old ladies and encouraging peoplee to recycle. They have absolutely no influence on politics whatsoever. You can have your wedding in a church even if you're an atheist, they generally don't care. You also get religious education in school every day, but it's not very religious, and again they don't even show any interest if you believe a single word of it, and don't present the bible as true historical events, they just sort of vaguely encourage you to be nice to people in a wishy-washy way.

Oh yeah, and our money also has Darwin on it.

Here he is.
Thank you all for responding - if I did make a zine about this, would I have your permission to use your own words?
Ah, but we ex-Christians know a lot!

tim scannell said:
things about
non-Christians...
is
just because you have an
angry rant...
does not mean you know anything about
Christians...

why all the huffin' & puffin'??

anger is ever a sign of ignorance...

Adam Icarus said:
You forgot the /bullshit after your post, Tim.

Just because some atheists, agnostics, or members of other faiths are ignorant of Christianity, that doesn't mean that we all are. Grouping all non Christians together and saying we don't know anything about Christianity is like me grouping together everyone over the age of 30 and saying that they don't know anything about being young. It's quite obviously bullshit, right Tim? You're forgetting that a lot of us grew up in Christian homes and were forced to go to church weekly. Hell, some of us may have even believed for a time. At the very least, we've all come into contact with the religion through friends or some form of media.

tim scannell said:
things about non-Christians... is
well, i guess 'entertainment' is
better than ignorance...
so thanx
adam...

but i am trying to make a semi-serious point...(albiet, one
can't actually be 'serious' in e-mail...or 'forums' etcetera...);
but why
the 'anger'?

there should be a 'clash'...of ideas...(debate 101).

for example...can a Christian say ''hey, hiya Christ," on MON..., then
say, "well, saw that Guy," on FRI...?...and

so i will become an agnostic athiest..etcetera...it sounds like you 'discuss'
(and i use the term generously)
Christ...ergo Christians
like an annual...monthly, weekly 'fashion' then
just say..., 'well, tried that on...

or don't you actually mean to 'discuss' Christians/Christianity?

serious response please...skip the anger...ben there/done that w/ you...:)

Adam Icarus said:
And just
because you can break English in such
an entertaining way...

doesn't mean you know a damn thing about us,
so stop pretending you do.

Making gross generalizations is another sign of ignorance, Tim.

tim scannell said:
just because you have an
angry rant...
does not mean you know anything about
Christians...

why all the huffin' & puffin'??

anger is ever a sign of ignorance...
I was catholic as a child - didn't find peace of mind at church, so put it away at 17 or so. Probably drifted between agnosticism and atheism for the last 10 years. Nowadays, I don't identify as a christian or an atheist. Or even agnostic for that matter. But nothing against anyone who does. :) It's not really relevant to my life anymore - just trying to be a good person, figure myself out and grow up. I still analyse bible stories as a metaphor for good lessons, but it's no more religious for me than studying nursery rhymes or psychology - just another way of looking at stuff I was exposed to in my childhood. :)

What does bother me is thoughtless fanaticism and disrespect - not because they're necessarily good or bad, but cos they're not useful unless the goal is actually to spread thoughtlessness and disrespect throughout the world. Sadly, I know of both christians and atheists who can be this way - bit sad, really; does nothing to promote either way of life, which is what they seem to try and achieve in situations where disrespectful behaviour comes up.

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who doesn't have a name for her 'religion'. Census time is an isolating experience. ;) Next round, I might just put Jedi like the rest of my mates.

Wow, this was long. Sorry for the ramble!
you are actually not interested

syntax/lexicon
perfect...

& poetic

but to be terse...stop being scattershot and gray...STATE your belief!

Adam Icarus said:
I would honestly give you a serious, calm response if I knew what you were trying to say. Can I get a properly punctuated, capitalized, and formatted translation? Just this once? I mean, the whole point of grammar and spelling is to give us a common platform so we can actually understand each other, and throwing that aside is counter productive for debate, discussion, and/or conversation.

tim scannell said:
well, i guess 'entertainment' is
better than ignorance... so thanx adam...

but i am trying to make a semi=serious point...(albiet, one
can't actually be 'serious' in e-mail...or 'forums' etcetera...);
but why
the 'anger'?

there should be a 'clash'...of ideas...

for example...can a Christian say ''hey, hiya Christ,' on MON..., then
say, 'well, saw that Guy,' on FRI...

so i will become an agnostic athiest..etcetera...it sounds like you 'discuss'
(and i use the term generously)
Christ...ergo Christians
like an annual...monthly, weekly 'fashion' then
just say..., 'well, tried that on...

or don't you actually mean to 'discuss' Christians/Christianity?

serious response please...skip the anger...ben there/done that w/ you...:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service