We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Your Thoughts About Christians and the Christian Faith

Hi, I just joined We Make Zines a few days ago...I've been making zines for about 17 years. I am a Christian and wonder why more Christians don't use this medium. I am also kind of a square peg in a round hole in the Christian world for a lot of reasons, and I often wonder what non-Christians think about Christians/Christianity and why, and am considering making a zine about that. Would you share with me any stereotypes of/experiences with/thoughts about Christians themselves and/or the Christian faith in particular? I am not going to debate anyone, so don't worry about being negative...I am really just interested to know what kind of impression Christians/Christianity have/has on non-Christians, and zine writers are great at sharing their opinions ;-) Thanks!

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you tell me why you oppose religion?

I'm Not Lion / Zacery said:
I personally vehemently oppose religion, but I know that there are a few Christian zinesters - the pamphlets some religions make might even be considered zines :)
I was raised Christian and absolutely hated getting forcefed that crap growing up. Some of it was pure torture, from being forced to go to weekend religious retreats to getting hit on by creepy old priests. I'm very atheist. I absolutely hate it when Christians try to force their religious positions on the rest of us through law, especially on issues of banning books, abortion, stem cell research and gay marriage. That said, I know some great people that are Christian, but I still believe their religion is total bullshit, so it's hard to give them respect intellectually.

There have definitely been a few Christian zines and a lot of zines touch on religion. But you have to remember, zines mostly have come from counter-cultures to promote and tackle subjects that aren't represented very well in the mainstream press. Christianity is everywhere in the mainstream press and there are tons and tons of independent Christian magazines. Hence, there's not really a need or audience for Christian zines unless you are pulling in religion to some type of counter-culture, like Christian punk or Christian anarchists or Christian sex workers. All of which might make for an interesting read even for non-Christians... but straight up religion discussions, you can find that anywhere, no need for doing it in a zine.
Yes, I agree with this...I have wondered whether non-Christians might see Christians as one-dimensional because they rarely hear anything about them as people, apart from the religious aspect.

Dan 10things said:
but straight up religion discussions, you can find that anywhere, no need for doing it in a zine.
I totally agree with you both...the Church is not the State and vice versa. Believing that is one of the things that sets me apart from most American Christians.
I'm a christian however i don't label my zines as 'christian'. I'm just another cat doing what he loves and expressing himself. I think too many Christians are caught up in theology and religion, rather than in transforming into more Loving, forgiving and "Christ-like" people in our every day. We need to listen more to one another despite beliefs, in spite of boundaries in Love!
I don't label my zines as Christian either.

One area where we probably disagree is that I think it is perfectly fine for the Church to, for lack of a better term, discriminate. Just as it is not the church's job to insist on "biblical law" in the realm of the State, it is not the State's job to ever say that the church must conform to whatever is the current politically correct stand on (insert issue here).

Regarding living in Utah, there are lots if theological discussions about whether the Mormon church is a Christian church at all -just for the record, as that is a bit off-topic.

Thanks all of you for being so welcoming to me - I hope I can read some of your zines in the future!

jeffrey bennington grindley said:
I'm a christian however i don't label my zines as 'christian'. I'm just another cat doing what he loves and expressing himself. I think too many Christians are caught up in theology and religion, rather than in transforming into more Loving, forgiving and "Christ-like" people in our every day. We need to listen more to one another despite beliefs, in spite of boundaries in Love!
Agreed-I don't have a problem with say, the catholic church not agreeing with same sex marriage. People can choose another religion if they really desire one that does approve it. Church is not state, and I believe state should definately approve it. Same thing with abortion being legal, stem cell research etc... I am not a supporter of catholic religion either, mostly out of historical context-the prosecution of women (witch hunts), forcing natives into residential schools... that sort of thing. I attempt to be polite when approached by religious groups (I live near jehovah witness, and they always want me to take their booklets). I think a lot of religions are stem from christianity. But a lot of people want to separate the Mormon church because of the issues of polygomy, teenage brides, and abuse that has occured on compounds.
Actually, the issue with Mormonism is theology, not moral issues.

Dorian Shaw said:
But a lot of people want to separate the Mormon church because of the issues of polygomy, teenage brides, and abuse that has occured on compounds.
well my view of Christians right now are either well-meaning but deluded people who have to base their lives around a superstition of the Bronze Age to make life have any meaning for them, or outrageously bigotted/racist/sexist/anti-intellectual/homophobic/anti-feminist zealots who seek to put about a theocractic fascist state of living around the world "in the name of Jesus".

i was raised Episcopalian in a household of dysfunction that saw church only as an obligation to uphold to maintain some semblance of normalcy. the people i grew up with in that church along with the other churches i belong to on my search for the meaning of life, the universe and everything were outright hypocrites who gossiped, criticized myself along with each other and flouted the values they claimed to ascribe to. I've had some nasty incidents with the pastor of my family's church who did and said some meanspirited things to me and my family because he didnt like us (especially me). I after that i was a Unitarian Universalist for a few years but i ended up joining a born-again christian church and then by 2004 my "mustard seed of faith" had withered and i was a out and proud Atheist (thank you penn and teller, chris hitchens and richard dawkins!)

i am disgusted by the Moral Majority/Religious Right's campaign to destroy the rights and freedoms of others who are NOT like they are, the callous disregard for proven scientific fact, blatant social darwinism and classism, and just general ignorance and hate they spew through the various right wing/conservative outfits. all in the name of God...well that's one God i want nothing to do with at all.

Apart from that, if someone is a Christian that's their business, go ahead and believe in your Osiris/Mithra retread - but DONT proseltyze to me, i've been there, done that and burned that t-shirt i got. AND if i say i'm an atheist - we should end the conversation there...there is nothing that you could possibly say to convince me otherwise.

it's a bit disjointed but you wanted opinions, and there's mine.
Keep 'em comin' :-)

Anyone who wants to send me anything longer is welcome...the zine is just in the possibility stage now, but what you guys are giving me is exactly what I am looking for!
Yes, I don't think most zinesters here want to hear about the theological issues involved in that debate ;-) But I'd love to hear your experiences!

Samantha Manchester said:
Anyway, I know that's a leeetle bit off-topic, so: Samantha, are you looking for people to send you essays/rants/thoughts/whatever about their experiences or are you just taking from this thread for your zine? I might be interested in writing something about my experiences with Mormonism, but I suppose this can't be considered relevent unless you believe Mormonism is a form of Christianity, hah. :)

Samantha Blythe said:
Actually, the issue with Mormonism is theology, not moral issues.

Dorian Shaw said:
But a lot of people want to separate the Mormon church because of the issues of polygomy, teenage brides, and abuse that has occured on compounds.
Oh wow.

I moved to Utah at age 10 in the mid 80's and was non Mormon and have a rough time of it. Our family was Presbyterian and I was Christian. At one point I was going to college studying Religion and Philosophy. My plan was to get a Masters in Divinity and become a Youth Minister, true story.I studied the Bible as Literature. I studied the Bible as Philosophy. I studied the Bible as a Christian.

I studied a lot about a lot of different religions. I was, and still am, fascinated by early Christianity especially the Gnostic sects and the writings found in the Nag Hamadi. Ultimately studying the origins of religions is what helped me lose my faith. Religious cannon and religious doctrine are just politics as usual. The people who have the power and shout the loudest were, and are, the ones that are heard and the ones that set things up in their favor, especially in organized Christianity.

I'm an agnostic with pantheist leanings.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service