We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

A hangover from my university days is constantly checking my word count whenever I write something on the computer (more for my own amusement now than for sticking to word limits of course). My zines are usually 24 1/4 A4 pages, (with pictures and layout details of course) and they come in somewhere between 2,500 - 3,000 words per issue. I don't tend to go over the 24 page limit, because it's a size I can copy and send out affordably, and I'd rather have multiple smaller zines than one monster I can barely afford to copy or post to people.

Do you count your words at all? What's your usual mileage?

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My current zine I'm working on is handwritten... so I can't really tell you.

But...

I have to check my word count on pretty much anything I type in a word processor.
I even do it with handwriting! I think it's because the school exams here feature a lot of essay writing against the clock, so I'm pretty fast at counting them!

fantasmagoric said:
My current zine I'm working on is handwritten... so I can't really tell you.

But...

I too have to check my word count on pretty much anything I type in a word processor.
I don't count my words at all.I make my zines by hand mostly, typing stuff but then printing it out to glue and paste. I make zines too big though, and have trouble affording to mail them out. So word counting, or page counting, is probably a decent method.
no clue, but i'll estimate that they are around 25,000 words. an average zine article length for me is around 2000-3000 words, & i usually write ten pieces for a zine.
I check my word counts from time to time. It helps give me a sense of things like how much material I'm working with and how long it should take someone to read. I also use word counts in organizing layout to help keep pages relatively balanced.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service