We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Does anyone know whether Paul Weinman (White Boy) is still involved in zinemaking, mail art, or small-press poetry? He was everywhere for awhile, and I'm kinda looking for any collection or anthology of his stuff, writing and drawing. It'd also be interesting to know what he's up to these days.

Any leads?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I reprinted Paul's 'Just Because I Didn’t Leave The Driving To Us I Got Jailed And Juiced Good' in a Musea issue way back in November 1993. Here is issue summary.

#15 (Nov.) Announcement of the first 'Arts Revolution Festival' at Chumly's and the Stout-McCourt Gallery next door, in Deep Ellum, Dallas. Scheduled for Sat. Nov. 6 1-8PM, Issue includes a line up of the performers, readers, musicians, artists, etc. Organized by Tim Wood, Greg Shanks, and me, Tom Hendricks. All kinds of arts and no sponsors! (See below). Also in this issue: "HouseDallas" the revolution in fashion (see issue #126), and an original poem by Paul Weinman, "Just Because I didn't Leave the Driving to Us, I Got Jailed and Juiced Good."

thanks, robert. yeah he used to send out submissions on a daily basis. it was just a normal part of life around our house.  and the mailbox was always stuffed with responses and funky fan mail, puppets and drawings, and envelopes with our address in dad's handwriting. i had to learn as an adult that people don't normally get a ton of interesting mail every day. i also thought it was normal to tap your envelopes so that the contents fell to one side and tear off the end. that's how dad always opened everything. smart!  i'm sure i'll be writing more about him in the future and i'll be sure to post the links here when i do.

robert eggplant said:
Yeah good question. Even better to read the answer. Paul used to send me endless packages of lucid writings when my zine Absolutely Zippo was just starting. Just reading his name now blows me away--he's such a rare figure that's from the underground--and specific to print culture. It's really fascinating reading any other notes of who he is.
thanks, john!

John Porcellino said:
I published a few of Paul's chapbooks in the 80's early 90's and he was a regular contributor to my zine Cehsoikoe back in the day.  Meadow, your blogpost is fascinating and moving.  So amazing after all these many years to put a face to that great, funny, vivid work.  Thanks.
I've been going through my collection of old zines; Paul is a contributer or editor on at least half of them.

Hi all,

I met Paul when hosting a poetry reading at Mother Earth's back in '94-'95.  I can't say I recall much about him, but I do remember his enthusiasm for literature and fantastic stories.  He was a lot of fun to talk with and be around.

Recently I came across a package I received from Paul early 1995.  I guess he did this sort of thing a lot, and I vaguely recall him offering to send me a bunch of his poetry (for free).  Heck, I used to do the same thing!  It's quite a collection and based on the little bit of interest I've seen decided it was worthy of eBay.  It's a truly unique combination of visual and written art.  If anyone wants to get started on collecting Paul's works, this is probably as good a sampling as you'll get:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150803021672

I'm pleased to hear he's doing well (in retirement), and still finding opportunities for "poetic terrorism" as we used to call it (before 9/11).

Meadow (?), thanks for keeping us informed and send along my best wishes to your dad.  :)  It sounds like your home life as a child was more interesting than mine!  lol

Fwiw, the fact this collection has survived is nothing short of a miracle.  It's flown to and back from Florida in my carry-on in 1996 (where I lived for a year), spent time in a drug dealer's house (don't ask), spent time in storage, spent time on my mother's porch in storage, spent time in a halfway house, and has literally been 'moved' dozens of times since 1995.  And yet here it is.  Aside from my own copies of my own zines from the day, I have nothing personal that's older than this.

Yikes!!!! it took me 2 1/2 years to see your response. I just now saw this. Sorry Meadow. I really appreciate you keeping us informed. I tend to save EVERYTHING. So your dad's packages with his poetry etc are among my personal effects. If you ever need to I can take inventory of them/copy  them.

Part of the reason it took so long to reply was that I don't visit long on the WMZ site nor does the discussions I have engaged in email me alerts...so it is better to leave me notes on my page. Okay Happy year of the Horse!

Meadow Braun said:

thanks, robert. yeah he used to send out submissions on a daily basis. it was just a normal part of life around our house.  and the mailbox was always stuffed with responses and funky fan mail, puppets and drawings, and envelopes with our address in dad's handwriting. i had to learn as an adult that people don't normally get a ton of interesting mail every day. i also thought it was normal to tap your envelopes so that the contents fell to one side and tear off the end. that's how dad always opened everything. smart!  i'm sure i'll be writing more about him in the future and i'll be sure to post the links here when i do.

robert eggplant said:
Yeah good question. Even better to read the answer. Paul used to send me endless packages of lucid writings when my zine Absolutely Zippo was just starting. Just reading his name now blows me away--he's such a rare figure that's from the underground--and specific to print culture. It's really fascinating reading any other notes of who he is.

Robert's comment pulled me back to the thread, too. Thank you, Meadow. I never met your father, but my heart is large for him and your family right now as I sit in the LA airport. Thank you for introducing us to a man who, to many, was an enigma and a delight. I'll have to spend some more time with this thread, your blog entry, and the other links.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service