We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Does anyone know whether Paul Weinman (White Boy) is still involved in zinemaking, mail art, or small-press poetry? He was everywhere for awhile, and I'm kinda looking for any collection or anthology of his stuff, writing and drawing. It'd also be interesting to know what he's up to these days.

Any leads?

Views: 518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We really should just have a "where are they now"? thread.

Hi Heath, I came across your note while doing a search for my dad, Paul Weinman, a.k.a. "white boy." Dad is no longer active in the zine world. For the past ten years or so, since his retirement from the NYS Museum, he has been building furniture out of fallen branches - some pretty amazing stuff - everything from chairs to gazebos. But now he has slowed down on that too because his mind is playing tricks on him. He is married and still very active, and just celebrated his 71st birthday. I am now a writer and I find myself more and more interested in his work as I get older. I know that he donated a large chunk of his collection to the University at Buffalo Poetry/Rare Books Collection. Also, I just posted a piece on my blog which you may enjoy - Happy birthday, Dad. Growing up with Paul was an experience. I know you posted this note 2 years ago, so hopefully you'll get this!

Hi Meadow,

 

Such a beautiful piece on your blog about your dad. Thanks for letting us know about him. I didn't know his zines back then, but I'm glad to have heard about him now.

 

Krissy

thank you krissy, i'm so happy to hear you read and enjoyed it. it's funny how when we're growing up, we don't really appreciate what our parents do. now i wish i had paid more attention and saved his work.  i especially wish i had a copy of his chapbook called frog eyes and forgiveness, with a cover drawing by my mom. can't find it anywhere!

Krissy PonyBoy Press said:

Hi Meadow,

 

Such a beautiful piece on your blog about your dad. Thanks for letting us know about him. I didn't know his zines back then, but I'm glad to have heard about him now.

 

Krissy

Yeah good question. Even better to read the answer. Paul used to send me endless packages of lucid writings when my zine Absolutely Zippo was just starting. Just reading his name now blows me away--he's such a rare figure that's from the underground--and specific to print culture. It's really fascinating reading any other notes of who he is.
I'm late to this thread as I just joined the site.  I've been looking for White Boy for a few years now.  Back in the 80s he sent me a sizable chunk of his writings and a note saying to do with them whatever I like.  I now run a small press and wanted to run a few of his pieces for an anthology.  I do have his permission, but would love to check with him to make sure that's still okay.  I had no idea he so much older than I.  Meadow, do you think he'd mind?

hi durand. well, that definitely sounds like my dad. you know, when he started making furniture out of downed branches a few years back he was making miniature chairs and leaving them around town with notes saying that they were orphan chairs and that whoever discovered them could use them for whatever they like. artistic altruism.  i suppose if he gave you his permission years ago that means it's ok, but why don't you contact him/his wife directly? i don't feel right saying yes or no. i'll message you.

Thank you, Meadow.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Meadow Braun said:

hi durand. well, that definitely sounds like my dad. you know, when he started making furniture out of downed branches a few years back he was making miniature chairs and leaving them around town with notes saying that they were orphan chairs and that whoever discovered them could use them for whatever they like. artistic altruism.  i suppose if he gave you his permission years ago that means it's ok, but why don't you contact him/his wife directly? i don't feel right saying yes or no. i'll message you.

i friend requested you. i guess we have to be friends for me to send you a message.

Durand J. Compton said:
Thank you, Meadow.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Meadow Braun said:

hi durand. well, that definitely sounds like my dad. you know, when he started making furniture out of downed branches a few years back he was making miniature chairs and leaving them around town with notes saying that they were orphan chairs and that whoever discovered them could use them for whatever they like. artistic altruism.  i suppose if he gave you his permission years ago that means it's ok, but why don't you contact him/his wife directly? i don't feel right saying yes or no. i'll message you.

YEah, I noticed that too.  Got you added.

Meadow Braun said:
i friend requested you. i guess we have to be friends for me to send you a message.

Durand J. Compton said:
Thank you, Meadow.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Meadow Braun said:

hi durand. well, that definitely sounds like my dad. you know, when he started making furniture out of downed branches a few years back he was making miniature chairs and leaving them around town with notes saying that they were orphan chairs and that whoever discovered them could use them for whatever they like. artistic altruism.  i suppose if he gave you his permission years ago that means it's ok, but why don't you contact him/his wife directly? i don't feel right saying yes or no. i'll message you.

I published a few of Paul's chapbooks in the 80's early 90's and he was a regular contributor to my zine Cehsoikoe back in the day.  Meadow, your blogpost is fascinating and moving.  So amazing after all these many years to put a face to that great, funny, vivid work.  Thanks.
Great blog, Meadow.  It's good to learn more about the man behind the chapbooks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service