We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Where do people get typewriters from?

I've been looking around online but all the typewriters I've seen have been far outside the price range of your average zine writer. And before someone suggests it: I'm a frequent browser of charity shops and in all my years I've not once seen a typewriter for sale. So for those of you who use typewriters, where the bloody hell did you get them from?! Are they hand-me-downs, second hand lucky finds, not actually yours? In case you couldn't tell, this puzzle has been bugging me for a while now...

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been an avid yard sale and thrift shop shopper for decades and have compusively bought dozens.  Maybe you have to enjoy junk shopping to really encounter opportunities.

This discussion might be helpful.

http://wemakezines.ning.com/forum/topics/i-want-a-typewriter

I've seen a ton at thrift shops.   I bought one at a flea market and another i acquired from my work when we were moving buildings.. it was in storage and not being used.
There are always typewriters at Goodwill. That's where I got most of mine. Maybe Craigslist? I just checked my local CL and there's a bunch, but most of them are being marketed as "vintage" and are correspondingly overpriced. Would still be cheaper than having one shipped, though.

Thanks for the link, James.

I'm starting to think maybe this is a cultural thing. I live in a non-American capital city so we don't have things like Goodwill etc. I looked on Craigslist and the typewriters there are all in the $1000 range.

I got mine via freecycle!
Ooh, freecycle! Good one! I also didn't mean to suggest in my last comment that I was only asking about non-Americans. Obviously, I do read American zines as well, and if people can get cheap typewriters second-hand over there, more power to them.

Damn, $1000? What are they made out of, gold and the blood of newborn infants?

I'd be willing to get you a typewriter and ship it, but as they can be 10-20 pounds shipping would probably be a lot. But if you're interested, send me a note. I know for a fact there are several $5 typewriters at the local Goodwill... because I donated them, and the last time I was there they still hadn't sold.

I got a new electronic typewriter at Home Depot not too long ago, it was only $150!
That's a rather hefty price to pay for a typewriter.   I've seen them used for $25 or $30 at the most, usually.  My electric was free.  My manual was $25.

This Saturday Night Distro said:
I got a new electronic typewriter at Home Depot not too long ago, it was only $150!
thrift shops, vintage stores, etsy, yard sales, and ebay :)

Well, if it's electronic, that's really more of a word processor I'm guessing, with the ability to fix mistakes and such. Although I didn't know Home Depot carried office equipment at all. I'm guessing this is similar to Borders' concept of broadening their product line into areas they really have no business being in, like art supplies and video games.

After reading this I feel like I have the Typewriter Touch. I should spend a day finding as many typewriters as I can, call them "vintage," then resell them at four times the amount I paid for them. :P

NicoleIntrovert said:

That's a rather hefty price to pay for a typewriter.   I've seen them used for $25 or $30 at the most, usually.  My electric was free.  My manual was $25.

This Saturday Night Distro said:

Thrift stores and yard sales. Keep looking! Check estate sales and auctions too.

I've never paid more than $4 for a typewriter. I've seen a couple in vintage shops and once in a Habitat for Humanity store that were $65 and up, in the same somewhat rickety condition as my cheap ones, and just scoffed. The universal ribbons I get from http://mytypewriter.com are ten bucks each, cheaper in three-packs. I just got an Olivetti with dual red and black ribbon which is severely dried--gotta get a replacement for that soon!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service