We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I'm pretty sure there might be a thread similar to this one somewhere... but since I've been absent in the whole "zine scene" for a while, i just want to see what or who everyone is reading now...

you can mention genres or even be specific and mention titles or zinesters that you love to read
:)

thanks everyone

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Currently re-reading Pulse Zine by Kelly Rose-Pulse Zine. Very good, attention holding perzine.
I just finished Alphabetish, which is an alphabet book of fetishes. I was disappointed though, it wasn't stapled, the pages were a bit screwed up [I got two letters twice, but then two were missing], and some of the letters didn't have descriptions, one didn't even say what the fetish was, just had a pretty vague picture. :(

I'm also reading Boy ~ Girl #2, which has been really good so far. It's about gender roles, perceptions, stereotypes etc, in the form of a split.
In the last couple days I have read:

- Doris #27 by Cindy
- Lacewing #1 by Lacy
- Between Homes by Jen Pilles
- Take Care #5 by Sarah Sky

I'd very happily recommend all of them.
Currently reading Burn Collector #14... feeling kinda 'eeehh' about it. I'm not really into the comics mixed in with the content the way Al put it together this time.
Adrian Fynch said:

I'm also reading Boy ~ Girl #2, which has been really good so far. It's about gender roles, perceptions, stereotypes etc, in the form of a split.

this sounds interesting... who is it by?
Violet Fox said:
I usually avoid poetry and perzines like the plague, but I'm really enjoying "Daisies and Bruises" by Erin Schulthies. It's really touching.

why do you usually avoid perzines and poetry zines? i've always thought most people were interested in perzines...
Maranda Elizabeth said:
In the last couple days I have read:

- Doris #27 by Cindy
- Lacewing #1 by Lacy
- Between Homes by Jen Pilles
- Take Care #5 by Sarah Sky

I'd very happily recommend all of them.

i've never seen or heard of any of these... am i that out of the loop? how do most people even find interesting zines?i find this part most difficult...
Just got done with Doctrinal Expletives #1. Reminds me of a good friend of mine. She sounds angry in a way that I love to read. I'm getting the rest of the funds.

Also finishing up the last issue of Keep Loving, Keep Fighting. I really love this ones writing style.
Danny Olda said:
Just got done with Doctrinal Expletives #1. Reminds me of a good friend of mine. She sounds angry in a way that I love to read. I'm getting the rest of the funds.

Also finishing up the last issue of Keep Loving, Keep Fighting. I really love this ones writing style.

what kinda zines were they?
Sorry, forgot (was at work). Doctrinal Expletives #1 isn't exactly a perzine though its pretty personal. It's very politcal dealing with stuff like food politics, theory vs (or not vs) activism, mental health politics. She sounds fed up and for good reason. Had some things to say that I haven't really thought about before.

The last issue of Keep Loving Keep Fighting is a per-zine that takes place as the writer is about to leave New Orleans. It feels like a goodbye to a city. The whole zine has a nice sweetly melancholic feel to it. I really enjoyed this one.

I Am said:
Danny Olda said:
Just got done with Doctrinal Expletives #1. Reminds me of a good friend of mine. She sounds angry in a way that I love to read. I'm getting the rest of the funds.

Also finishing up the last issue of Keep Loving, Keep Fighting. I really love this ones writing style.

what kinda zines were they?
not to speak for maranda...but she got three of the four zines she listed from my distro, learning to leave a paper trail. some of the other folks replying to this thread are also referencing zines they picked up from the distro, or zines i carry anyway. distros are a nice way to check out a whole bunch of zines at once. you can read the descriptions & see if they sound like something you would be interested in.

the last zines i read were "toothworm" #4, "new to everything" #8, & "a how-to guide on starting a d.i.y. events calendar (in your town)". the latter two will be in the distro pretty soon...i have to talk to emmalee & see if she is still into working with distros. they were all pretty decent zines. "toothworm" was lots of stories about being disappointed by people & learning to rely on yourself. "new to everything" was about turning 25, rediscovering a passion for life, being "punk rock for life". the d.i.y. events calendar one was exactly how it sounds: how to make a d.i.y. events calendar for your town, how to solicit events from people, distributing the calendar, how it's good for bringing a community together, etc.
I think I have Boy/Girl #2. It's by someone named "Rob Noxious," right? Is the cover-double sided? I vaguely remember reading a zine of a similar title about 7 years ago. Please let me know if that sounds about right? I always liked that zine.

Adrian Fynch said:
I just finished Alphabetish, which is an alphabet book of fetishes. I was disappointed though, it wasn't stapled, the pages were a bit screwed up [I got two letters twice, but then two were missing], and some of the letters didn't have descriptions, one didn't even say what the fetish was, just had a pretty vague picture. :(

I'm also reading Boy ~ Girl #2, which has been really good so far. It's about gender roles, perceptions, stereotypes etc, in the form of a split.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service