We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I'm pretty sure there might be a thread similar to this one somewhere... but since I've been absent in the whole "zine scene" for a while, i just want to see what or who everyone is reading now...

you can mention genres or even be specific and mention titles or zinesters that you love to read
:)

thanks everyone

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, I did happen to get the two I mentioned from Learning to Leave a Paper Trail. Being a bit isolated in FL, distros really helped me find the coolest zines coming out. Also talking to some people that run distros helped me find some new zines based on other zines I liked. Learning to Leave a Paper Trail has been awesome, and I've used Parcell Press a ton. Taylor there is really cool and helpful. And I got started with Microcosm. I think it also helps checking out Xerography Debt and/or other review zines. It gave me a good idea of some zines I'd probably think are cool and a way to get it straight from the zinester.

I Am said:

i've never seen or heard of any of these... am i that out of the loop? how do most people even find interesting zines?i find this part most difficult...
It's a split zine, so it's by two people, Shyla Ann and Rob Noxious. I read #3 first, and now I'm on #2. #3 is more about their personal experiences and #2 seems to be more articles and informative, but I'm maaybe a third of the way through it, so it could still change.

Rob is on this website and that he's making a new zine along similar premises
http://wemakezines.ning.com/profile/robnoxious

Miss Alyss (Werdy Girl) said:
I think I have Boy/Girl #2. It's by someone named "Rob Noxious," right? Is the cover-double sided? I vaguely remember reading a zine of a similar title about 7 years ago. Please let me know if that sounds about right? I always liked that zine.

Adrian Fynch said:
I just finished Alphabetish, which is an alphabet book of fetishes. I was disappointed though, it wasn't stapled, the pages were a bit screwed up [I got two letters twice, but then two were missing], and some of the letters didn't have descriptions, one didn't even say what the fetish was, just had a pretty vague picture. :(

I'm also reading Boy ~ Girl #2, which has been really good so far. It's about gender roles, perceptions, stereotypes etc, in the form of a split.
Now that sounds like a zine I wanna read.

ciaraxyerra said:
the d.i.y. events calendar one was exactly how it sounds: how to make a d.i.y. events calendar for your town, how to solicit events from people, distributing the calendar, how it's good for bringing a community together, etc.

And yes, many of the excellent zines I've been reading lately are zines I got from paper trail. Totally recommended.
Psionic Plastic Joy/Popular Reality split zine -cut ups, madness, mail art
Travesty - musings on being a transvestite metal head
Voodoo Beat #2 - Piss On The Pope FN Wright (poetry chapbook)
re-reading old issues of bananafish and black to comm (old music zines)
Cluttered Mind #1 - One of Zac's many mini-zines - great personal stuff from the little bugger!
ciaraxyerra said:
the d.i.y. events calendar one was exactly how it sounds: how to make a d.i.y. events calendar for your town, how to solicit events from people, distributing the calendar, how it's good for bringing a community together, etc.

im really interested in this one... drop me a line when it comes out? i think its something id really need soon. stupid events planning....lol
I liked the stories in it, about the comics, but not really the comics inside.
however the writings are good !

NicoleIntrovert said:
Currently reading Burn Collector #14... feeling kinda 'eeehh' about it. I'm not really into the comics mixed in with the content the way Al put it together this time.
Giz said:
I liked the stories in it, about the comics, but not really the comics inside.
however the writings are good !

NicoleIntrovert said:
Currently reading Burn Collector #14... feeling kinda 'eeehh' about it. I'm not really into the comics mixed in with the content the way Al put it together this time.

Yeah, I was excited to see that BURN COLLECTOR 14 was over 150 pages, but then seeing how many of them were comics.... meh. Al Burian is definitely a better writer than a cartoonist. In fact I think if his writing wasn't so good I'd like the comics more because I wouldn't be thinking about how much more I enjoy his writing.
I recently read this pretty great zine by Geoff Slagheap called Resistance of Dreams, but it doesn't seem to have a date or issue number, which is really annoying. I got it from Free Society Distro at the last Canzine, it's half-legal type-written text-heavy stories about travel, train-hopping, memories, night-time, wearing dresses, protests, etc. Pretty wonderful punk rock perzine from the US, I kind of loved it.
Would you like to trade for my zine that teaches you how to draft a custom skirt pattern and then sew it the proper way?

Violet Fox said:
I Am said:
why do you usually avoid perzines and poetry zines? i've always thought most people were interested in perzines...

I find most perzines kinda boring. I primarily read zines that teach me something--a craft zine like Craft Leftovers, or a guide to being more creative, or a DIY health and cleaning guide like Make Your Place.

Of course, these zines have personal aspects to them, which I appreciate, but they're not just a list of "here's what I did today," or "here's my feelings about [whatever]," which I'm not super interested in. I've read a lot of really lame perzines--only the well written ones with unique things to say will keep my interest.
I've just finished reading Cultor Sore #15, which I found tucked between some random books on my bookshelf as I was packing things into boxes ready for moving house
DreamWhip #12
Give Me a Dollar (by Robnoxious)
Brève d'Orgone (a comic-zine from Nice, FR)
No Quarter #5 (radical history zine from Calgary, AB)

these were the last one.
I'm reading a comic zine called Potential Mode (which has some amazing art!) and a perzine called Black Carrot. Both are excellent!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Xerography Debt / History Zines

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service