We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What was your introduction to the zine world?

I started making my own zine before I knew that anyone else made them, and the first zines I saw were actually just excerpts in the book Zine Scene by Hillary Carlip and Francesca Lia Block, and that was close to 10 years after I started making mine. It was only a few years ago that I finally ordered a pack of zines from Parcell press.

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't even remember, I was nine, and I had no idea anyone else made tem. When I was junior high aged, I discovered that book and a few others, and realized other people did, but I didn't know WHERE they were. I guess I was 15 or 16 when I started going to this writing group every year that made zines, and soon after sort of stumbled into the culture. At least, I found my local zine library and went to a zine fest. It's only finding this site in the past month that's actually made me realize how many people actually do this, but I still haven't reaaaally found the scene in my town. I don't think there really is a big one, sadly.

So yeah, I'm an oldie when it comes to zines themselves, but a little bit new when it comes to the whole culture.
"Hard Love" by Ellen Wittleger. Then I forgot about them until I saw a mention of them online three weeks ago, and now I"m hooked.
I only write because of a random google search in the 7th grade.
hmm i read sassy in middle and high school, discovered maximum rock n roll and factsheet five soon after...then found out more via the internet starting in 1996.....but didnt act on my ziney-ness until 2003 after many many many false starts.
i read an article about science fiction zines from the 50s in a horror mag in the 70s! and when the horror/splatter explosion of the early 80s hit i started doing a zine about them, then a music zine when i was doing a punk radio show... faked it all the way! :D
It was fairly recently when a friend of mine told me about a local zine fair. I'm a journalism student always looking for things to cover, so I took my camera and went. I met Alex Wrekk (Hello!) and interviewed her and some others, and did a piece on it (thefax.wordpress.com).

Since then, I've been infected with this disease that is driving me to create. I love writing fiction, so I'm in the process of creating a serial fiction zine. Much to the dismay of my other journalism assignments, haha!
Definitely Sassy introduced me to zines, even tho I still didn't understand what they were until 1994 when I ordered my first one.
some local fanzines that were being passed around at shows and in my highschool cafeteria in the early 90's and then sassy + a bunch of old riot grrrl(esq) list-serves (the old 'rebelgrrrls' list that angie ran, words + guitar, etc.) was how i got into perzines.
Bought a copy of Maximum Rock 'n' Roll from a local record store and fell in love. Started ordering zines from the review section and picking up every local zine i could get my hands on. This was '94/'95
I created a zine called Entry Point this past summer for International Zine Month which is a compilation of how folks got into zines. It is a free zine, but if you can help a gal out for postage or by trading something fun (another zine, a mix CD, etc)... i'd love to send one to you. I am contemplating doing a Vol. 2!

Nicole Introvert
PO Box 35501
Richmond, VA 23235
USA
I joined an art zine swap and made my first zine about a year ago. I think the art zines are really fun to make!
I was introduced to them a few years ago in some activist groups at my college. Around that time I went to a feminist art show in San Francisco to see Miranda July's Joanie 4 Jackie videos. There were a bunch of really well made grrrl zines from the 80s and 90s there, and after seeing how these girls from all over the world had created things and collaborated and shared them with each other through the mail, I felt like I needed to be a part of that. In the internet age, there's something very personal about someone post marking their thoughts and sending them on a journey through the postal service. When it gets to your mail box it feels very secret and real.

And then, just a few days ago, I discovered this website. Hear that? It's my world rocking.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service