We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What shipping method(s) do you prefer when it comes to distros?

Hi everyone!
I used to run Supernova Distro back in the day before it was common for everyone to use Paypal carts & stuff like that. I'm starting up my new distro and I am a little frazzled just trying to figure out shipping methods and all that jazz.

I would love to just use the flat rate priority shipping rate ($4.90), but I'm afraid most zinesters would think that was too expensive and would rather use first-class mail. I know when I usually order from distros I order a bunch of stuff at once, so shelling out an extra $5 for quicker shipping doesn't seem like a huge deal when I'm ordering $20-30 worth of zines. But I know that if some people just order a few zines at a time, $5 for shipping seems like a huge chunk of dough.

So what are your thoughts? Would you rather order from a distro that has first-class postage paid zine prices (for both US and Intl), or just one flat priority rate? Is a certain shipping method/price a dealbreaker for you?

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You could also do what i do, and have different levels of shipping cost per dollar amount spent in the distro. I only charge $5 for USA orders that would be large enough to merit a priority envelope. It's a lower cost if they spend less and then i ship First Class.

I do the same with International, just at a higher dollar amount.
I prefer to have options. There are times when I just need that *one* zine and spending $4.95 for priority shipping just doesn't make sense. Granted, having said this I will confess that I generally try to order much more than one item just to make the package that much more interesting when it arrives in my box! ;-D
I see! That looks like a good option for me as well.
I like postage-paid, because it's easiest, both for the distro owner and the readers. No tallying up ounces or dollars, no questions about shipping. You do lose money on one or two-zine orders, but the majority of orders break even on shipping. Of course, if an order is near or over a pound, I'd use a Priority flat-rate envelope or box anyway. They're so convenient!
I would like to do that, but I'm not super savvy when it comes to shopping carts/Paypal carts! I guess I just need to look into it more & figure things out!

Joe Biel said:
it seems like offering options: priority, first-class, or media mail is not too hard and would suit everyone.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service