We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What kind of Zine related Workshop have you always wanted?

Just getting ideas. Seeing if there are anythings out there that people want that is new or different.

Tags: workshops

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Copy saving tips would be nice i.e. I'm making a halfsize zine how can I use one 10.5 x 8 paper copy on the paper front and back and not waste the empty half etc.
Tangible layout guides i.e. how to get the most out of scanning

It's good to see how people work in creating zines and let other have a chance to do it themselves. Give 2-3 people proficient at making zines the same exact content: written, photos, clip art etc and have them create a zine with it and see how they put it together differently and learn from their varied techniques.
How about making the leap from photocopies to print? With many printers offering digital printing these days (as opposed to the traditional "offset" press printing), it's become more affordable. I'd like to see how someone like Alex W. produces something like Stolen Sharpie Revolution, which is a square-bound book.
Really with SSR I just did all the layout on paper, scanned it to the specifications and e-mailed it to the printer. I know there are fancy ways to lay books out with InDesign and what not. I think I'll try to wrangle someone up from the IPRC and plug that workshop into the symposium this year.

Until last year at the symposium we had never had a trading workshop. I really like the idea of a room where you know that everyone wants to trade zines! I want to do that again this year but I don't want to lead it. I sort of took up the task of being the volunteer coordinator which means I have to always be on hand to help people at the info table.

Aj Michel said:
How about making the leap from photocopies to print? With many printers offering digital printing these days (as opposed to the traditional "offset" press printing), it's become more affordable. I'd like to see how someone like Alex W. produces something like Stolen Sharpie Revolution, which is a square-bound book.
I guess I'm more interested in how you worked with the printer. Did you send PDFs for the final files? Was it digital or offset printing? Local printing or out-of-state or country? It seems like Portland is a good place for short run printing - I have a few copies of "Papercutter" and they are printed in their hometown as well.

Alex Wrekk said:
Really with SSR I just did all the layout on paper, scanned it to the specifications and e-mailed it to the printer. I know there are fancy ways to lay books out with InDesign and what not. I think I'll try to wrangle someone up from the IPRC and plug that workshop into the symposium this year.

Until last year at the symposium we had never had a trading workshop. I really like the idea of a room where you know that everyone wants to trade zines! I want to do that again this year but I don't want to lead it. I sort of took up the task of being the volunteer coordinator which means I have to always be on hand to help people at the info table.

Aj Michel said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service