We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

there's a zine fair in October, in Halifax. what goes on at a zine fair? what do I take??
any advice for this newbie?

Tags: advice, fair, zine

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks to you all, for your advice! I really appreciate it!!!
Ones in the UK tend to take their lead from school fêtes for some reason, I guess it's programmed into our heads from a young age, so they tend to be heavy on cakes. Which is never a bad thing.

My packing list:
Attractive table cloth, the tables tend to be institutional looking affairs, so it doesn't hurt to jazz it up a little
Sharpie pen and normal biro for notes and signs
Paper and a notebook, for making signs and tallying sales
Scotch magic tape, so you can tape stuff up with wild abandon without damaging anything
Tin for money, and suitable change for customers
Some kind of vegan, nut-free (so the majority of guests can enjoy it) snack or sweet to have in a bowl for people to take free
Zines of course
Space to take traded zines home
A friendly and non-sanctimonious attitude (always appreciated in every social situation)

Some people will be keen to trade, some politely decline, and some will be really arsey and snotty about it (distros usually don't trade much, because it's not their stuff). I designed some badges that are buried on this forum somewhere saying "up for trades" to make everyone's life a bit more pleasant. Alex W has proper metal badge versions on her etsy if you want non-cardboard versions.
Oh and UK ones tend to be bring your own booze, no idea on the legality or social acceptance factor of that in Canada.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
Ones in the UK tend to take their lead from school fêtes for some reason, I guess it's programmed into our heads from a young age, so they tend to be heavy on cakes. Which is never a bad thing.

My packing list:
Attractive table cloth, the tables tend to be institutional looking affairs, so it doesn't hurt to jazz it up a little
Sharpie pen and normal biro for notes and signs
Paper and a notebook, for making signs and tallying sales
Scotch magic tape, so you can tape stuff up with wild abandon without damaging anything
Tin for money, and suitable change for customers
Some kind of vegan, nut-free (so the majority of guests can enjoy it) snack or sweet to have in a bowl for people to take free
Zines of course
Space to take traded zines home
A friendly and non-sanctimonious attitude (always appreciated in every social situation)

Some people will be keen to trade, some politely decline, and some will be really arsey and snotty about it (distros usually don't trade much, because it's not their stuff). I designed some badges that are buried on this forum somewhere saying "up for trades" to make everyone's life a bit more pleasant. Alex W has proper metal badge versions on her etsy if you want non-cardboard versions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service