We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

there's a zine fair in October, in Halifax. what goes on at a zine fair? what do I take??
any advice for this newbie?

Tags: advice, fair, zine

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It depends on which zine fair and what you take depends on what you will be doing. If you are going to have table space then you will want to bring your zines to sell or trade and some change to give people and to buy some zines. You might also want to bring a table cloth and some paper and a Sharpie to make some signs for prices. As always you should bring your notebook to write in and maybe a bag to put all you goodies in. There might also be workshops to attend and the people putting on the event should have some sort of program so that you know when events will be scheduled.Someone asked me this question a few years ago and I actually turned it into a new section in Stolen Sharpie Revolution.

Also, I have a zine residency at the Anchor Archive in October and will be at the Halifax Zine Fest. I'm excited about it!
It depends on which zine fair and what you take depends on what you will be doing. If you are going to have table space then you will want to bring your zines to sell or trade and some change to give people and to buy some zines. You might also want to bring a table cloth and some paper and a Sharpie to make some signs for prices. As always you should bring your notebook to write in and maybe a bag to put all you goodies in. There might also be workshops to attend and the people putting on the event should have some sort of program so that you know when events will be scheduled.Someone asked me this question a few years ago and I actually turned it into a new section in Stolen Sharpie Revolution.

Also, I have a zine residency at the Anchor Archive in October and will be at the Halifax Zine Fest. I'm excited about it!
i always bring scissors or a utility knife, too. i always end up using them or loaning them to someone for something. and my drawing pens and a snack. some candy or whatnot to give to people. lately, i have lazily been bringing unfinished zines and put them together while i was tabling. if you're not tabling, you can bring some of your zines and see if people would like to trade.

if you don't know what the hell tabling is, at zine fairs you pay anywhere from $10-$60 depending on the fair and usually get 1/2 of a 6 or 8ft table and at least one chair to sell your zines from. you decorate it, put out your zines and people walk by. it's good to bring a friend or to get to know the people next to you so you can attend workshops or readings and get a chance to look at everything. does that help?
meet people & trade a bunch of zine
Even if you don't have a table, bring your zines, because you can usually trade for other peoples' work. You get to meet a lot of other artists and see a bunch of zines and it's a lot of fun. I won't repeat what people have already said, which is all good advice!
I think the only part that has been left out is where we take our clothes off and dance nude around a fire while smearing our chests with pig's blood.
ooooooo! Now THAT will be worth going for!!

NicoleIntrovert said:
I think the only part that has been left out is where we take our clothes off and dance nude around a fire while smearing our chests with pig's blood.
I haven't tabled at a zine fest, but the last one I went to, I walked around, looked at people's stuff, bought zines and books, and gave people little packets of my apazines that I'd bundled specifically for the zine fest -- as gifts, not trades. I also made a point to meet zine people I knew there (Ayun Halliday, John Mejias, Liz Baillie). Volunteered at the merch and raffle ticket table for an hour or two, as well.
Trading is fun, but sometimes, and this is no offense to zinesters or an attempt to seem better than the rest, you trade your work for something that doesn't seem like a fair trade. It's not like you would trade a 90 page Cometbus for a 1 page zine on how to make zines. Its personal choice in the end.

My suggestion is, make something you are willing to trade, and then have your other material for sale. Zine fests are like a sale, you might need to make some cash to recoup your losses (travel, registration, etc).

I also like to get my work out there, so trades or BOBG are acceptable ways to do so.

My two cents.
Bring stuff to trade and cash, if you're setting up a table, bring your zines and cool random stuff that gives you inspiration to put on your table. We brought books and little statues and set them up.

Our table was full of flair! If you're setting up a table, bring a banner with your zines name on it too!
It's going to be so much fun!
if zine fairs were really like the internet "IRL," you wouldn't be able to drag me to one with an entire herd of wild horses. zine fairs are a lot more fun than the internet. just make sure you bring a snack, some water, & plenty of small bills.
Oh and when you think you have enough small bills to bring.... get more. You never have enough.

ciaraxyerra said:
if zine fairs were really like the internet "IRL," you wouldn't be able to drag me to one with an entire herd of wild horses. zine fairs are a lot more fun than the internet. just make sure you bring a snack, some water, & plenty of small bills.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service