We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What do you like writing and reading about?

I personally like good interesting stories and DIY...
although some good poetry can hold my attention, I'm not too into it...

I'd love to read DIY photography zines (i have yet to see a good one)

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I write mostly perzines that includes both personal stories and fiction... sometimes even turning personal stories into fiction... i also like reading stories, but sometimes i'm picky with the kind of stories I read...
Hi Denise. What kind of information are you looking for in a DIY photography zine? I've been outling something for the past couple of weeks that I'm thinking about taking on.
I like perzines where people get really into discussing different aspects of their lives and struggles they're trying to overcome. Good DIY zines are also really awesome though. I like informative zines, but the last few I've read were really hard to read because they'd been photocopied too many times or the pages were all out of order.
I personally like old-school cams like holgas. Dont get me wrong, high res cams are awesome too and i wouldnt mind getting a dslr but it's just not as interesting to me... and im interested to know more about slrs and how to control them. i tried it once for a class and it drove me crazy! i think mods and cheap DIY accessories are cool too! and inventive ways to take pictures... playing with lights, etc.

and hey, is your profile pic taken with a lomo cam or 110mm cam but using a 35mm? im having trouble with that! cause the people who develop films in this tiny place always cuts my films wrong! and i can't seem to scan them right. XD any tips? I still have about 7 or 8 rolls of films i havent had developed cause I'm scared they'd ruin them again...

but yeah, keep in touch and tell me how your zine goes

Blake said:
Hi Denise. What kind of information are you looking for in a DIY photography zine? I've been outling something for the past couple of weeks that I'm thinking about taking on.
like what kinds of informative zines in particular? :)

Adrian Fynch said:
I like perzines where people get really into discussing different aspects of their lives and struggles they're trying to overcome. Good DIY zines are also really awesome though. I like informative zines, but the last few I've read were really hard to read because they'd been photocopied too many times or the pages were all out of order.
how about someone FROM another country and is currently stuck in a foreign country? i know someone! And I met a zinester from Singapore here on wmz once...

Harley R. Pageot said:
Zinewise, I like perzines. As long as they're focused and not negative or whiney.

I would love to read more about people in other countries. I would do anything for perzines from Japan or Africa or South America but, unfortunately, if they're being made, they're probably not being made in English.
Denise said:
I personally like old-school cams like holgas. Dont get me wrong, high res cams are awesome too and i wouldnt mind getting a dslr but it's just not as interesting to me... and im interested to know more about slrs and how to control them. i tried it once for a class and it drove me crazy! i think mods and cheap DIY accessories are cool too! and inventive ways to take pictures... playing with lights, etc.

Good info, thanks for letting me know. I honestly hadn't considered writing about SLRs in general so maybe I'll give that some thought and add some things. My initial thoughts were to stick with more vintage- and toy-camera subjects with a developing-your-own-film-at-home tutorial, etc.

and hey, is your profile pic taken with a lomo cam or 110mm cam but using a 35mm? im having trouble with that! cause the people who develop films in this tiny place always cuts my films wrong! and i can't seem to scan them right. XD any tips? I still have about 7 or 8 rolls of films i havent had developed cause I'm scared they'd ruin them again...

That particular shot was taken with a Holga body and using 35mm film instead of 120. I developed myself so I have complete control over how the negative is handled. If you are carrying your film to someplace like a 1-hour photo shop, then you need to ask them to "Develop Only"--no cutting of the negative and no prints. You have to do the cutting and scanning yourself unless you are lucky enough to have a real photography shop in your town that understands what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.
Blake said:

[...snipped]My initial thoughts were to stick with more vintage- and toy-camera subjects with a developing-your-own-film-at-home tutorial, etc.

That particular shot was taken with a Holga body and using 35mm film instead of 120. I developed myself so I have complete control over how the negative is handled. If you are carrying your film to someplace like a 1-hour photo shop, then you need to ask them to "Develop Only"--no cutting of the negative and no prints. You have to do the cutting and scanning yourself unless you are lucky enough to have a real photography shop in your town that understands what you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.

the developing your own film at home bit is an awesome idea! would love to read something like that! tell me if and when you finish it. And i had the same problem when i tried having my 35mm film (pic taken with holga too! XD) deceloped in one of those 1 hour photo things. i said to just develop and not cut... but they still cut it. lol. so it'd be cool to learn to develop my own film. and what scanner do you use? just a regular flatbed? those things magnify the smallest specs of dust! XD
I Am said:

the developing your own film at home bit is an awesome idea! would love to read something like that! tell me if and when you finish it. And i had the same problem when i tried having my 35mm film (pic taken with holga too! XD) deceloped in one of those 1 hour photo things. i said to just develop and not cut... but they still cut it. lol. so it'd be cool to learn to develop my own film. and what scanner do you use? just a regular flatbed? those things magnify the smallest specs of dust! XD

I AM, I'll post a message on your comment wall so this thread doesn't turn into a photography thread. ;-)
Anyone already doing a DIY photography zine. Since I'm doing quite a bit (also did self-development and some printing) and got the concepts of how a camera works somehow together, I could contribute. Unless no one wants to do it, then I would have to do a lot more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

¬© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service