We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What Creative Commons Licensing do You Use?

What Creative Commons Licensing do you use when you are publishing your zine. I'm not doing this for the money, but I don't want other people to be making money and me not making any. What do you think? Brand spankin' new to the publishing zine thing. I'm calling it 1k.

Tags: 1k

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On my zines I don't use CC, I just ask that people request permission before copying.

On my photography I use CC attribution, non-commercial.
I always say something like the typical anti-copyright thing: Anyone but cops, government officials, and capitalists are allowed to reproduce my zine/info as long as its not for profit.

Probably, other people wont make money off your zine either. : )
Thanks guys, I think I will go with Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States.
LOL! Yeah, I'm not planning to do that! :)

Paper Planes Aflame said:
My only advice? Putting a "No Derivative" license on your zine is all well and good, unless you clipped things from a magazine and pasted them into your zine.

"Do as I say, not as I do."
Newbies- Worry about their zine's Creative Commons Licensing

Old Timers- Have no idea what that even means. Maybe it's something I should be concerned about, but I'm not.
Usually, I go by the unspoken "don't be a dick" arrangement, but after reading this thread, I can see how this might not be so practical. :\ Hrm...
Yup! I am a newbie! Stolen Sharpie Rev 2 had a CC, so I wanted one too.

Ericfishlegs said:
Newbies- Worry about their zine's Creative Commons Licensing

Old Timers- Have no idea what that even means. Maybe it's something I should be concerned about, but I'm not.
SSR2 had one because things from SSR have been repeatedly stolen and profited from. I don't care if someone copies things from it for a workshop or a class or something but when I saw things directly taken from SSR for a published book when I wasn't even asked about it I was a little upset.

I have never had an issue with anyone taking things from my zines though so my zines have no CC license. Probably because they are personal zines and who would steal form that, ya know?

1k said:
Yup! I am a newbie! Stolen Sharpie Rev 2 had a CC, so I wanted one too.

Ericfishlegs said:
Newbies- Worry about their zine's Creative Commons Licensing

Old Timers- Have no idea what that even means. Maybe it's something I should be concerned about, but I'm not.
yeah, i just include a general "don't be a dick" clause. some folks have tried to re-sell my zines at a semi-hefty profit (or succeeded in doing so), but i don't think i've ever been a plagiarism victim or anything. *shrug*
I don't think anyone will want to steal my stuff, but I feel safer with my CC page. Also, I spelled everything out, defining the cc, so maybe it will be informational for someone.

I don't count that page as part of my 1000 words, though. That page has 155 words on it. I don't count the cover either.

Alex Wrekk said:
SSR2 had one because things from SSR have been repeatedly stolen and profited from. I don't care if someone copies things from it for a workshop or a class or something but when I saw things directly taken from SSR for a published book when I wasn't even asked about it I was a little upset.

I have never had an issue with anyone taking things from my zines though so my zines have no CC license. Probably because they are personal zines and who would steal form that, ya know?

1k said:
Yup! I am a newbie! Stolen Sharpie Rev 2 had a CC, so I wanted one too.

Ericfishlegs said:
Newbies- Worry about their zine's Creative Commons Licensing

Old Timers- Have no idea what that even means. Maybe it's something I should be concerned about, but I'm not.
none. i think the universe has a karma/what goes around comes around clause that will handle any potential problems that may arise.
What I use changes from time to time. When I want my words to reach as many people as possible, I put the most permissive license on it. When I think I might have a chance at selling my material to a publisher someday that wouldn't want any cc licenses on anything related, I leave them off. I think you need to reconsider your goals with each project, and decide which license best serves those goals. I think it might be better to focus on which license helps people do things you like with your material, rather than which license stops people from doing things you don't like. While it's frustrating to imagine that people would be allowed the make a huge profit off directly selling your material, it might be more important that someone isn't barred from making use of your work just because there project has some small commercial aspect (that noncommercial license would probably stop them from selling their zine that includes part of yours, even if their price tag just helps them pay for some of their expenses). If you have no aims of making money, I think you should lean towards the more permissive licenses--generally, they mean more people might take advantage of the license, and thus more people will see your work and name.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service