We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

What are you working on right now, and where are you along in it?

I'm working on a few things bit by bit, I just replaced my old printer. Moving house and my printer going kaput really slowed me down and demotivated me to work on zines. I've got various ones in various stages of progress. One of my new year's resolutions was to do a zine every month, whether a thick substantial one, or a mini one, I guess these will all get finished over this autumn some time. The ones on a particular theme take longer, as I have to wait until I'm thinking about that topic, rather than putting whatever jumble of things I fancy in. So far I've kept to my resolution this year. Writing down my to do list like this also helps me get it straight in my head.

Fanzine Ynfytyn 9 -working on bits and pieces strewn in notebooks. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend to keep my resolution. My general rubbish, such as "What does an amoeba have to worry about?" "top 5 things I have found on the street" "Why Ayn Rand annoys me so much"

Being Editors 1- Diana Wynne Jones- I got an interview with the lady herself. I've got to get articles down on paper that are going round in my head, explaining the ending of Fire & Hemlock and comparing it to the 4 Quartets by Eliot which it used as inspiration, article about how Witch Week is the anti-Harry Potter, and feminisim in her books

Being Editors 2- Edith Nesbit- to do- articles about her use of Kent in her books, and a review of The Children's Book by AS Byatt that I finished yesterday (the character of Olive Wellwood and her unusual marital arrangements is based on Nesbit- it's a brilliant book, I recommend it)

Being Editors 3- Oliver Postgate- I found the audio book of his autobiography in a charity shop the other day. I have to listen to it and write a review.

Tags: aims, do, future, goals, to

Views: 33

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm working on cocoa/puss zine #3 titled "hoes and heartbreaks". it's pretty much about what it's called. i could be done with it now, but i like my zines to be kinda long so i have a few more things to write to get it to where i want it to be.

-i have something in the new issue of fallopian falafel.
-i wrote something for clementine cannibal's project and it'll be out soon.
-i submitted something to hip mama and i'll know if it's getting published later this month.
-i have something coming out in mamaphiles.
-i need to get the layout done for my ny art book fair project and make 100 copies of that.
-also another cool lady on here is seeking submissions so i'll probably send her something.
-and lastly i need to switch gears and get something to the minnesota women's press.

i am seriously hustling so hard. i'm ridiculous. go me.
Shall we go to the trophy shop and get a little something engraved for ourselves?

CocoaPuss Zine said:
i'm working on cocoa/puss zine #3 titled "hoes and heartbreaks". it's pretty much about what it's called. i could be done with it now, but i like my zines to be kinda long so i have a few more things to write to get it to where i want it to be.

-i submitted something to hip mama and i'll know if it's getting published later this month.
-i need to get the layout done for my ny art book fair project and make 100 copies of that.
-also another cool lady on here is seeking submissions so i'll probably send her something.
-and lastly i need to switch gears and get something to the minnesota women's press.

I'm working on issue 8 of my food/perzine, dimanche. Haven't worked on any zine stuff for almost a year, so I'm very excited to be back at it!
right now i'm stuck between two possible themes for the next monstress. the one i had initially intended was "scary divas" and would focus on horror movies featuring old women as the horror. i have some nice reviews of bette davis movies for that. but the fiction is coming more slowly because my ideas are all for writing in a style i'm not very strong in--lady adventurers with roadsters. the other idea is "ape attack!" that one i have less reviews done for _but_ i'm very excited about the pulp fiction possibilities. and i really like primates. i was hoping to get it going this month, but i've gotten all distracted with writing for the cultural gutter, getting ready to write for the toronto film festival's midnight madness blog, etsy and artfire and romantic and family unpleasantness. oh, yeah, i have some drawings in lucky creature attack's upcoming coloring book issue.

annyway, if i get a zine together by november, i'll be rockin. not as rocking as you guys, but rocking nonetheless.
are fucking serious? i was just answering your damn question. this is what i'm working on. you don't need to be sarcastic and bitchy to me just because i'm working on something. fuck you.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
Shall we go to the trophy shop and get a little something engraved for ourselves?

CocoaPuss Zine said:

clementine!!!! what up homegirl? you are still my favorite. i'm super excited to read your new zine compilation. i'm sure that took a lot of work to get it all done. any money you make off that you totally deserve to keep and spend on tattoos, cds, pretty paper, and spray paint. haha. if you send me any of your new zines i'm going to pay you ok? my new issue won't be ready for a little bit.

Clementine Cannibal said:
you rule girl! i'm impressed you've got so much going on.
"i knew a mothefucker like you and she said..." is done!! its FUCKIN BEAUTIFUL. i just printed it two days ago and i havent sent any out yet. i need to contact all contributors to get their current addresses (including your new address by the way). then i will get them out first to the contributors, then to distros, interested grrrls etcetera.
but i am SO happy about how the zine turned out. there are 16 contributors total. and your piece is incredible! i'm so happy you submitted something. <3
and i cant wait for the new cocoa puss, i gotta send you the new licking stars off ceilings too. number 10 came out this summer.

CocoaPuss Zine said:

I wasn't being serious at all, I was jokingly saying being busy rules!

CocoaPuss Zine said:
are fucking serious? i was just answering your damn question. this is what i'm working on. you don't need to be sarcastic and bitchy to me just because i'm working on something. fuck you.

Emma Jane Falconer said:

CocoaPuss Zine said:

SMALL ZINES...
1 PIECE 8.5X11 MAKES 3 ZINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2" STRIP...FOLDED TWICE 8SIDES
(A 2.5" 3RD STRIP)

3" STRIP...FOLDED TWICE 8SIDES
(A 2.5 3RD STRIP)

DRAWINGS...POEMS...DOODLES...STAMPS..DETRITUS/FLOTSAM/JETSAM...TINY
FOUND EPHEMERA(PAPER/FOIL)...ETCETERA...KEEP TINY ITEMS IN OLD PENCIL
CHRISTMAS CARD BOXES.......................USE gluestick

HAVE DONE ABOUT 30 IN THE PAST MO. FUN 'CAUSE ONE CAN FINISH IN A DAY...
AND GO ON TO SOMETHING NEW..................DON'T FORGET CLIPART AND
COLO[u]RED PENCILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! free
i want to try to do a 24 hour zine soon. maybe one day.
I was puzzled as to why you seemed so offended by what I said, then I suddenly realised that you must have been interpreting my "we" as a patronising nurse-y we. I actually meant "us two". I was trying to jokingly say that we should go and award ourselves a grand prize for being productive zinesters. There was really no need to start insulting me.

Emma Jane Falconer said:
I wasn't being serious at all, I was jokingly saying being busy rules!

CocoaPuss Zine said:

Emma Jane Falconer said:

CocoaPuss Zine said:

i took the comment as "highfives to us cos we're awesome and productive". but i could also see how it could be mis-read and taken as jealousy fueled snark. id like to think she meant the former?

((i just finished helping put together issue #5 of the Toronto Zine Library's 'Resource Zine' and am currently spending my day getting everything ready for our [the TZL's] open house + drop-in collaborative zine making workshop as well as making handbills for our [mine and chris'] little [tabling-only right now] distro, twelveohtwo))
it's hard to read emotion over the internet. sorry for insulting you. i seriously thought you were. my bad.

anyway, me and my kid just got the cover of hip mama so i'm feeling pretty good. any my article is going in there too. super awesome

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service