We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Hey gang,

I've made 4 zines so far and they've all been made with my own drawings and photos and text, but with some images I cut out of magazines I came across, a common practice from what I see.

This time I found a whole bunch of images (mostly 1-liners or quotes with very simple backgrounds) and a few drawings/ images, from authors I can't locate (no info leading to the creator) on facebook and on random sites, that I want to use for my new zine but I'm worried about copyright infringment. I don't take credit for other people's work but I would be getting paid for my zine. Then again I'm only asking for money to cover my costs (and it's not like I'm mass printing these); I just want to get the word out on some serious issues I want to share with others, but yeah...

This is a topic I'm quite unfamiliar with so any advice would be appreciated.

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps you could include one of those 'all efforts have been made to find copyright owners of works used...' preambles in your zine, and welcome copyright owners to approach you. I think this will suggest that you're not interested in 'stealing' other people's property for profit.

Good artists copy, great artists steal.

Pablo Picasso

Technically if the owners of the copyright on the images find you they can fine you for the use, or you'll get a letter from a lawyer asking for proof of items destroyed (I ran afoul of that once, not fun getting that letter) so I'd be cautious. 

Can you try contacting the owners first and asking permission?

Like I said, there's no name or way to find the creators, especially of the simple quotes/ phrases with simple backgrounds that are just circulating the wide web. There are a few drawings I like that I've contacted the creators about using them and giving them credit if they're okay with it, but none of them have responded to me either...

Elaine said:

Technically if the owners of the copyright on the images find you they can fine you for the use, or you'll get a letter from a lawyer asking for proof of items destroyed (I ran afoul of that once, not fun getting that letter) so I'd be cautious. 

Can you try contacting the owners first and asking permission?

Most zine people just flat out steal other peoples work with nary a care in the world.Don't sweat it.I've done punk art for benefit gigs for battered womens shelters,and people steal the design and sell it at death metal shows.It sucks,but its a hall mark of zines to steal and re-use.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service