We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I now have access to a copy printer to print zines. If you're not familiar with them, they're basically an industrial gocco machine (made by the same company, Riso), which produce pretty much the same results as a photocopier, but with coloured inks like a screen print. The copies work out cheaper than a copier, but you have to print in bulk to avoid wasting screens. I'm not going to start using it for all my zines, because they don't reproduce photos well, but the idea of having coloured ink on coloured paper (I'm thinking purple on lilac paper, or blue on green for instance, or a 2 tone spot colour cover) is very tempting for some zines I'm planning that are mostly text and illustration.

Does anyone else here use a copy printer? Have you used the facility of having multiple passes with different colours? Do you have any photos of the results?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nifty. I've never heard of these, but have long wanted to try using a gocco machine. Did you buy your copy printer, Emma? I wonder where I could find one to use here in the States. ...
haha no they cost thousands, the community printing place I use now has got one for printing leaflets and newsletters. We signed up as Brighton Zinefest Collective to hire some stuff for events, but it means we also have access to cheap printing.
Ohhh I see, it's like a big photocopy machine then. I got an image in my mind of one of those desktop gocco deals. Sounds like fun, I'm envious. Lately I've been longing for new ways to print things, like for instance I'd love to make small broadsides with poems on them, and if I knew how to screen print or do something of that nature I could make something cool. But for now I'm kind of limited to the old photocopier and my favorite hangout, the copy place. ... Have fun printing! xo
Since they cost thousands I guess my query may be a little moot, but are they pretty much the same thing as a digital duplicator, that we've mentioned on other discussions here?
yes they are the same thing, the place I go to has one of the giant high volume ones. Basically they have it so that community groups and clubs can print newsletters cheaply, but the people who run the place are keen on zines too.

James N. Dawson said:
Since they cost thousands I guess my query may be a little moot, but are they pretty much the same thing as a digital duplicator, that we've mentioned on other discussions here?
Just looking at an office supplies website gave me a price of $19,000 USD.
Also, screen printing really isn't difficult for simple things. If you're doing hundreds of multi-coloured prints it gets really technical, but small runs of one colour things aren't at all difficult, and you can do them without a hefty press or anything. You just need the screen, some of the special masking fluid, and a squeegie and roller for the ink.

Katie said:
Ohhh I see, it's like a big photocopy machine then. I got an image in my mind of one of those desktop gocco deals. Sounds like fun, I'm envious. Lately I've been longing for new ways to print things, like for instance I'd love to make small broadsides with poems on them, and if I knew how to screen print or do something of that nature I could make something cool. But for now I'm kind of limited to the old photocopier and my favorite hangout, the copy place. ... Have fun printing! xo

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service