We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

U.S. mail costs more, starting tomorrow

New postage rates go into effect tomorrow, May 11. There aren't any changes to the shipping rules, just increases in prices. You can download an updated U.S. Postal Rates sheet from the Zine World website. It's a handy one-page guide to all the rates for shipping envelopes or packages up to 1 lb., via First Class mail, both within the U.S. and to international addresses.

For those of you who like to geek out on postage, here's a quick rundown of the changes:
* Letter rate is going up by 2cents per ounce.
* Large envelope (aka flats) rate is going up by 5cents per ounce.
* Package (aka parcel) rate is going up by 5cents per ounce.
* Media mail is increasing by 15cents for the first pound and 4cents for each additional pound.
* For international mail, there's been an increase both in the base rate and in the additional ounce price. For example, the 1oz. letter rate to Canada is increasing by 3cents; the price for each additional ounce is changing from 24cents to 25cents. The 1oz. large envelope rate to Canada is increasing by 5cents; the price for each additional ounce is changing from 24cents to 26cents. This means, for a 6oz. large envelope, you'll be paying 15cents more on Monday than you did last week.

If you need a refresher about shape-based pricing (ex: the difference between a letter and a large envelope), or how to use media mail, check out our Zinester's Guide to U.S. Mail, also available at our website .

Tags: mail, postage

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That U.S. Postal Rates sheet is really helpful. Thanks!
Thanks for this, I actually kind of forgot. Good thing I've got a great stock of Forever Stamps.
Ugh. I'm in the Uk right now but headed back to the US in a week and a half. What an annoying thing to return to.
And also to geek out:
They've divided up rates to Canada and Mexico. It used to be the postcard rate and the 1 oz rate to Canada and Mexico were the same price, but not anymore. 1oz/postcard to Canada is 75¢, 1 oz/postcard to Mexico, 79¢. (This is for "regular sized" one ounce letters, of course.)
These high postal costs are another reason why I publish so few print zines. Now I ask, will print zines survive when first class postage reaches $1 (which I suspect will happen within the decade)?
You damn Canadians with your beady little eyes and flapping heads...!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service