We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I wasn't really sure which group to post this in...

So, have any of you ever had problems with neighbors thinking your typewriter is too loud? I mean, my mum wouldn't let me use it after she went to bed, but her room was right next to mine and I haven't had an issue since I moved out... But one of the tenants in this building I live in now seems to have a problem with it because there's banging [either from above or below, can't quite tell] whenever I use it.
I guess I could understand now [it's almost 3am here - I like to work at night], but it happened around 9pm too. I looked at the clock and decided that I was going to ignore it, but now I'm torn.

I mean, it's my TYPEWRITER. Could it really be that loud? It's not like I'm having a party or playing my music really loud or anything, and I don't really mind not using it anymore tonight, but I am usually working on zines late at night. This is when I work. I'm thinking of leaving a note in the mailroom downstairs [pretty much exactly what I just wrote in my blog] tomorrow, but has this ever happened to anyone before? How did you deal with it?

Tags: neighbors, typewriter

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe you could just put an antivibration mat between the typewriter and the desk, that would help keep noise down.
Yeah, a friend suggested a pillow [duh!], so I'm going to try that. What's an antivibration mat?

Stephanos said:
Maybe you could just put an antivibration mat between the typewriter and the desk, that would help keep noise down.
Why do you all think i named my distro, Click Clack? The shit is noisy! Such a fantastic noise tho!
Putting a typewriter on a thick wad of newspapers really helps to cut down on noise too
Haha yeah, I was thinking that too. I'd be wanting to knock on their door and compare typewriters, but I guess not everyone likes them.

Amber / Culture Slut said:
Personally, I'd be super excited if I heard my neighbour using a typewriter. But I don't think most people would, haha. I try not to use mine too late at night, but that's more for my boyfriend's sake than anyone else's. My neighbour listens to loud music and so do I, there's sort of an unspoken agreement that no one complains. In fact, sometimes he comes over to borrow cds.

I think a note in the mail room is a good idea.
Hm, that's a good idea. More sturdy than a pillow!

Emma Jane Falconer said:
Putting a typewriter on a thick wad of newspapers really helps to cut down on noise too
Eh, I don't want to bother them if it really is that loud. I probably will have to keep the typing down early in the morning, but doing drafts in my noebook or on the computer would be fine too, I suppose.

Mulnix said:
I think your neighbor has a legitimate beef if you're pounding away on that thing at 3 AM. Is it an old manual typewriter? I've got one, and it sounds like a machine gun when it gets rolling.

Maybe you could replace your typewriter with a quieter model, like a Selectric. Or do your first drafts at 3 AM on a computer, and type your second drafts in the early evening.

OR, just ignore the pounding. You expect them to ignore YOUR noise, so what's the diff? Wait for the landlord to say something about it.
a pillow can't work with manual typewriter. it need to be totally flat to work well.

I use to have problem when I'm working on zines at my parent place. in my place, my neighbors are quite deaf because of their age. sometimes, I even play drums with windows opened on the afternoon.

Sarala B. said:
Yeah, a friend suggested a pillow [duh!], so I'm going to try that. What's an antivibration mat?
Stephanos said:
I would be so tempted to leave a note for them saying something along the lines of, "I'm a writer! I do my best writing at night! Deal with it!" but I can't imagine that would go over too well. I'm living with my mom right now, and thankfully she doesn't mind me using my manual typewriter after she's gone to bed, but once I move out again, I'll have to learn how to use it more during the day than at night because I don't think my potential future roommates will appreciate the noise, unless they happen to be night-time typists too.

Glad to see there are some suggestions for cutting down on the noise factor, though.
I've never had any complaints, but I too live with my mum who can, and has, slept through earthquakes, so it doesn't bother her. However she does say that my manual typewriter "makes the whole bloody house shake". Our new(ish) neighbours are pretty quiet, but if they wanted me to stop typing at night I'd compromise- they turn off their music, I type on a mat of some kind to lessen the noise.

Maranda Elizabeth said:
I would be so tempted to leave a note for them saying something along the lines of, "I'm a writer! I do my best writing at night! Deal with it!" but I can't imagine that would go over too well. I'm living with my mom right now, and thankfully she doesn't mind me using my manual typewriter after she's gone to bed, but once I move out again, I'll have to learn how to use it more during the day than at night because I don't think my potential future roommates will appreciate the noise, unless they happen to be night-time typists too.

Glad to see there are some suggestions for cutting down on the noise factor, though.
I've never noticed that my typewriter was super loud. I received my first typewriter when I was in grade 8-I begged my father for one because I wanted to be a writer. I used that bloody thing all through high school and most of university (couldn't afford a computer). I pulled a lot of all nighters with it banging out essays-but my dad never said a word. Maybe he was just really tired from work and didn't notice it. :)

(oh yeah-I did all my typing on my bed with my typewriter on a pillow. Probably the most uncomfortable thing to do, something I would not repeat again).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service