We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

Join me in listing those moments that hit you where you think, "THIS is why i am involved with zines!!"

This happened to me yesterday.. and it just solidified my love for zines even more:

When you send someone your zine hoping they will trade.... and you get something in the mail from that person way too soon for it to be a response, to find that in the mean time they had sent you their zine asking to trade!

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you get a letter out of the blue from someone you sent your zine to, just talking about their lives, their thoughts as if you were a long time friend. Only happened to me once thus far, but it was fantastic!

Handmade envelopes that zines arrive in are always wicked cool too.
when you try to buy someone's zine from here and they return your money back to you through paypal and want to trade instead. that really made my day.
When you find someone to connect with that also makes you excited about zines like trading or sharing tips on how to make zines, write, etc!

Opening up to someone as if you've been talking to them for years. Ah, yes!

Great topic ^__^
Right now I am in Seattle at the Zine Librarian (Un)conference. It is reallly really inspiring to be around all these zine librarian talking about zines!
Someone bought a zine from my website and about four days after I sent it out I received a brief letter from her stating, "I read your zine today. Thank you for spreading joy to the world." and nothing else. That made my day. I just hope she wasn't being sarcastic!!

I'm a firm believer in sending short personalized notes along with mail orders, but receiving a happy reply is an unexpected pleasure that makes all of the hassles of self-publishing worthwhile.
when people include a note with their zine
(& receiving non-bill mail in general..)
There are so many great moments with zines that in the mid 90's I started the Musea Zine Hall of Fame. Musea, my zine, has inducted many of the very best zines from all over the world. For the complete list and related entries, please see my website or zinewiki entry for 91 pages related to the Zine Hall of Fame.
Becoming the friend of someone I met through zines is awesome cool. (That means you Laura-Marie and Katie H.)
The Zine Librarian (Un)Conference I just attended was incredibly awesome and inspiring and refilled me with zine enthusiasm! There were so many great things that happened during the conference, lots of great conversation, lots of great ideas (including some I plan to use at my library), and ZAPP is pretty frickin fabulous.
When you find the 4th issue of Bust amongst a bunch of superhero comics in a gnarly thrift store.

When someone makes your kid a t-shirt featuring a drawing from your zine.

When the printer greets you like an old friend, and you think about how he and all the guys who work in that shop may well have read your entire zinely oeuvre cover to cover.

Going to the po box and finding unexpected treats ranging from plastic cocktail monkeys to a bunch of rotting fresh mint (I should check my po box more frequently)

Finding out that someone you admire has been reading your zine all along.

When subscribers give gift subscriptions to their friends.

The satisfaction of putting another issue to bed.

The realization that you've taken the bull by the horns while others wait around for the bull to decide it likes them enough to make an offer.
COPY THAT PRESS said:
When you find a brave little zine traveling all by it's lonesome on a public train waiting to be found...

I think there should be more random zine stashing so other people can experience this joy. It's like a ninja zine attack and a great way to pick up new zine readers.
Whereas i have not experienced the public transportation find, i was glad to see a zine someone had stashed amongst the books at a coffee shop i was at yesterday.

Dan 10things said:
COPY THAT PRESS said:
When you find a brave little zine traveling all by it's lonesome on a public train waiting to be found...

I think there should be more random zine stashing so other people can experience this joy. It's like a ninja zine attack and a great way to pick up new zine readers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Anatomic Air Press

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service